TS-50 with DSP

  • Doug Behl
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2006
      Hello,

      I am new to this group, and considering adding a TS-50 to my
      collection. I like the way it looks, would fit nicely on my desk, and
      seems to be a good rig from the times I have used one.

      Wondering about the DSP implementation for the TS-50, described here:

      http://www.therfshop.com/dspts50.htm

      Any experience with this?

      Regards,

      Doug VE3XDB
    • Bill K0ZL
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        If it's anything like that used in the little Icom 703
        and 718 series (audio DSP), it's worth it.

        DSP on SSB is like having a "smart squelch" that
        closes between syllables! It's great.

        73,

        Bill K0ZL

        --- Doug Behl <ve3xdb@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am new to this group, and considering adding a
        > TS-50 to my
        > collection. I like the way it looks, would fit
        > nicely on my desk, and
        > seems to be a good rig from the times I have used
        > one.
        >
        > Wondering about the DSP implementation for the
        > TS-50, described here:
        >
        > http://www.therfshop.com/dspts50.htm
        >
        > Any experience with this?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Doug VE3XDB

        When in doubt, MODIFY...
      • George ( Woody ) Fletcher
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
          I've found that what helps my TS50 most is a good speaker. Not one
          of those little cubes that you get at the Hamfests either. I like
          something like the old intercom speakers in a wood box that was made
          to hang on the wall.
          Although I haven't tried the unit you're looking at it looks good.
          If the price doesn't bother you, give it a try.
          I bought a Timewave DSP 9+ on Ebay for around $50 and it does
          wonders. I've used it on both a TS50 and an old 706. It's not internal
          of course so it takes up a bit more room. On the other hand, it sounds
          like you're using it in the house on your desk rather than mobile or
          portable so that's not much of a problem. Not being internal means
          that you can use it on any rig. Not just the TS50.
          All the best,
          Woody / KF4TQJ / FP# 430