Wow! Love this TS60

  • John Geiger
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
      I recently picked up a Kenwood TS60 all mode 6 meter
      rig, and gotta say "I love this rig!" Had one briefly
      last august, but traded it away for something I needed
      more. Now I am glad to have one back.

      Excellent receiver-very sensitive, and handles loud
      signals very well. I can get within 5khz of another
      local station about 2 miles from me and hold QSOs.

      Great transmitter-puts out the 90 rated watts and then
      some.

      Great audio-one local station says it is the best he
      has ever heard me sound on 6 meters.

      And it just looks great. My first 6 meter rig was a
      Kenwood TS600, and that is also an excellent rig,
      albeit pretty big and only running 10 watts. This is
      a totally classy looking rig, and does 100 watts. So
      far in addition to the US, I have worked Argentina and
      Costa Rica on it, and Es season isn't even here yet.

      If you get a chance at one of these, grab it. You
      will not be sorry. Hope my wife doesn't find out
      about the love affair I am having with this rig!

      73s John NE0P

      John Geiger
      Associate Professor of Psychology, Cameron University

      Ham Call NE0P, active 160m-70cm

      Radios: Kenwood TS2000 (HF/6/2/70cm), Kenwood TS60 (6M base and mobile work), Yaesu VX7R 6m/2m/222mhz/70cm)

      Antennas: 2 element Mini Quad, Cushcraft A14810S, Cushcraft 719B Homebrew G5RV

      3 VUCCs on 50mhz: from EN41, EN51, EM04, #1014, #1015, #1290
      2 meter VUCC #615
      Satellite VUCC #129
      County Hunters award (500): #3301, all 6 meters

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Mark@n6ea.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
        John,

        I agree with your assessment of the TS-60. I also have a Yaesu FT-897
        and the performance on 6 meters is not even close to the TS-60. I am so
        impressed with the Kenwood mini allmodes that I have aquired the whole
        family. TM-455A (432rig) TM-255A (2meter rig) TS-60S (6meter rig) and of
        course the TS-50S. Somebody had asked if I could take a picture of all
        four of them, together, and I intend to do that soon but I am using the
        TS-50S mobile right now. Some of the signal reports are as good (using a
        GS screwdriver) as my home rig (TT Jupiter into a 540 foot horizontal
        loop). It's no wonder the TS-50S went back into production. You just
        can't beat these rigs.

        73,
        Mark, N6EA

[...]

        HYPERLINK "http://personals.yahoo.com"http://personals.yahoo.com

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kenwood_TS50/"http://groups.yahoo.com/gro
        up/Kenwood_TS50/

        HYPERLINK
        "mailto:Kenwood_TS50-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"Ken

      • John Geiger
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2005
          I compared my TS60 to the FT100D I was using before,
          and it is a much better receiver. Haven't directly
          compared it to my TS2000 yet.

          Things I wish the TS60 had:
          1. CW keyer
          2. Notch Filter
          3. VOX
          4. SWR meter
          5. Speech processor

          Would love to get a Yaesu FT650 sometime to compare it
          to. I hear that the 650 is one of the best 6 meter
          rigs ever built. If so, the TS60 can't be far behind.

          73s John NE0P

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Messenger
        • kiddisjr
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2005
            John and others,
            I had a FT-650 in here for about a month last year before I picked up
            my current mint TS-60. On six meters, I was very impressed with the
            FT-650 except for the fact it did not have a built-in ATU like my
            then TS-570SG which I had along side it. Side by side comparison
            revealed to me that the TS-570SG receiver was close but not as
            sensitive as the 650 imho (no test equipment). I could surely hear
            weak beacons "popping up" first on the 650 before the 570SG. The 650
            was without intermod or other receiver issues sometimes found on
            radios with six meters as a add-on. Perhaps mistakenly, I sold the
            FT650 because at the time I overall preferred the 570SG for 6M due to
            its additional benefits (for 6M) - ATU, DSP, other bells and whistles
            the 650 did not have - even though it had a more sensitive receiver.

            While I have never compared the TS-60 and the 570SG side by side, I
            once had a Kenwood rep suggest to me that the TS-60 was discontinued
            due to the 570SG's (then) new arrival and equal performance (on six).

            Now that I have a TS-60 in here, I hope to obtain another FT650 for
            purposes of comparison against the TS60. The TS-60 is indeed very
            sensitive like the 650. However I will disclose a few disappointments
            I have with the TS-60 as compared to the FT-650 (I owned).

            1) Front panel is not easy to manipulate and typical of a "mobile"
            radio - small knobs, small buttons, small everything. I hesitate
            spinning the VFO knob in a robust way for fear of damaging something
            inside, perhaps the encoder, shaft, or something....
            2)Intended as a Competition type radio, it lacks a speech processor...
            3)A reflectometer readout an important plus missed by the designer.

            The FT650 was a junior FT1000D - built very well and NOT a mobile
            with small child like features (TS60). Likely intended as a base
            station type rig, using the controls, knobs, buttons, and spinning
            the VFO knob on the 650 was a real joy (unlike the TS60). The 650 had
            a speech processor and if I remember right, a swr meter and a receive
            pre-amp. I am currently using my TS-60 with a LDG AT200 so I can QSY
            with little or no reflected power. Perhaps when I obtain another 650,
            I will find it superior in the receiver department and I would
            perhaps replace the 60.

            Or better yet, the new FT-2000 may offer something much better
            overall for six meters. I must admit I know of a 300+ DXCC on six
            meters "Guru" here in Orange, Calif who really doent like either the
            650 or the 60 and suggests the best way to go on 50 Mhz is with Down
            East stuff dedicated for 6M - not HF rigs with six meters as an add-
            on. Thanks for reading and replying.
            73,
            Ken
            WB9YCJ/6

            --- In Kenwood_TS50@yahoogroups.com, John Geiger <johngeig@y...>
            wrote:

            > I compared my TS60 to the FT100D I was using before,
            > and it is a much better receiver. Haven't directly
            > compared it to my TS2000 yet.
            >
            > Things I wish the TS60 had:
            > 1. CW keyer
            > 2. Notch Filter
            > 3. VOX
            > 4. SWR meter
            > 5. Speech processor
            >
            > Would love to get a Yaesu FT650 sometime to compare it
            > to. I hear that the 650 is one of the best 6 meter
            > rigs ever built. If so, the TS60 can't be far behind.
            >
            > 73s John NE0P

          • james27613
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 19, 2006
              hi ken,