Site Projects

  • kate munro
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2006
      PROJECT CORNER
      Hey Everyone!

      In VAC we've been talking about how to make a Side Project database. We finally decided to start with a column in the Vesti compiled by current volunteers, where we share ideas from site. We want to compare notes on projects (the good, the bad, and the very ugly…). We need to know what works, what doesn't work, and what you've learned from your projects . I know that we've only been at site for a month, but please share any ideas or stories that might be useful to others! This way we can stockpile them for both current and future volunteers. You can just email the ideas to me, and I'll forward them on to Margaret. Thanks!!!!

      Hope you're all doing well!
      Kate Munro

      p.s. Sven, you're manifesto rocked my world.

    • Forrest Dunbar
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2006
        Kate,

        I have begun working on the ressurection of Project Hope Petropavlovsk.  PHP, as it is called, is an excellent secondary project, which involves movie nights, an English language library, and a soup kitchen.  Back when it was in operation, this is how it worked: the English library, which had been compiled by about half-a-dozen volunteers, and contains 1700 English books and videos, rented out their materials for a small fee.  This money was combined with funds raised at English language movie nights, and other fundraisers, and then used to buy food for a soup kitchen which ran on Sunday, using volunteers from the university.

        Unfortunately, the English library lost its room in the public library and had to close.  Then the small local theatre which used to host the English language movie nights also closed down.  With no money to buy food, the soup kitchen stopped.

        So now my challenge is to raise money and get it back up and running.  Luckily there is still a core of local young adults who remember the old volunteers, and are willing to help, including the chairman of PHP (which still exists on paper).  We are looking for a venue for the English movie nights, probably using a DVD theatre, and also somewhere to keep the books (which he still has).  Tyrus tried to write a grant, but it didn't work out.  So far we have been denied by the Akimat and regional cultural center, but we are still looking.  I hope to have the library running by February, and the soup kitchen in March.  Hopefully, things will work out.  Hope this was helpful!

        Forrest Dunbar
        Petropavlvosk