Bay St. Louis Update - Gulf Coast News

  • grassrootsrebel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/GCNnewsKatrinaBayNeeds2.htm

      GCN Exclusive Report
      Bay St. Louis Update

      GCN published a list of things needed by the City of Bay St. Louis
      early in March. The response has been amazing. This is the latest
      update on what has happened since - Ed.

      By Mark Proulx - Special to GCN Filed 4/21/06

      I never doubted that when asked, the American people would come
      through to help their own. Never in my wildest imagination would I
      have thought that a simple article would generate so much publicity,
      bring so much support…and bring so many people together. Here's the
      latest information from Bay St. Louis city administrator Ms. Mike
      Cuevas....

      "Dear Mark,

      Wow! Thank you and all the friends you forwarded our email to in
      reference to the office supply needs for Bay Saint Louis. We have
      received almost everything we asked you for from so many sources
      across America.

      Individuals, communities and World Care (Tuscon, AZ) filled these
      needs in less than one month. Overland Park, Kansas Public Works
      folks sold cakes and sausages and sent over $1000 for our Public
      Works Department's fuel expenses, a resident of the Bay credited our
      McDonald's Hardware account with the $1000 we need to last us
      through the remainder of the year. Port Townsend, WA, must have
      raided every supply store in the area to generate copy paper, pens,
      correction tapes, coffee pots and two computers. (One computer went
      to a police officer and the other went to a local business.) A
      wonderful couple from NC sent hand held radios, office supplies and
      a Fuelman credit. World Care filled in the rest and has another
      shipment scheduled to come sometime this week.

      The list just continues and I don't mean to slight anyone, but I
      want you to know that the help is coming from all over. Everyday we
      are blessed with the generosity of the people of this country in
      ways that we never imagined could happen to this little town that is
      such a small blip on the radar screen.

      Please, please, each of you feel good about yourselves because for
      every penny you spent on a pencil a city employee has a job for a
      day longer. We still need help, especially with the rising fuel
      costs, but you have bought us more time to get our community back on
      its feet and producing sales tax that will keep us funded so we
      don't have to continue to ask for help.

      Just an update to you, and I do hope that you will pass this on to
      your friends, who may be inclined to continue their help and
      support. CityTeam Ministries has started a comprehensive door-to-
      door needs assessment.

      They selected the area of the Bay north of Highway 90 and to date
      have interviewed 104 families. Of those 104 families only 10 did
      not need some type of help. So, what we have decided to do, as a
      partnership, is to start with 10 families and send out to you what
      their very specific needs are. These families will be the closest
      to completion of being able to get back in their homes. Each family
      will be identified by a code number (the Privacy Act, you know). If
      more than one group adopts a family their donation will be rolled
      over to the next group who will reach the same stage in due time.
      Each giver will be acknowledged by the family who receives help and
      by the City of Bay Saint Louis. I can't give you their names, but
      they can identify themselves. The families will have been fully
      vetted before I send out any information to assure donors that these
      are families legitimately in need.

      We have developed a system of assurance, through the efforts of
      CityTeam and their volunteers, that families receiving help are not
      just at the food bowl because it's there, but because they are
      unemployed and without resources and what they receive can be used
      to supplement the purchases they have to make and direct their
      resources to getting back in their homes.

      Our distribution center is still open, but monitored, and we have
      virtually eliminated the greed that develops when "free stuff" is
      made available. As soon as we can get a local grocery up and
      running the distribution center will reduce its operations so we
      don't perpetuate dependence. CityTeam has offered and as soon as we
      can find the local space and local volunteers they will help us set
      up a food pantry to meet any continuing or new needs.

      Loudoun Medical Group (Loudoun County, VA) has helped to locate
      space for the re-opening of the Coastal Family Health Clinic to
      serve the uninsured and financially needy find a new "medical
      home". This partnership is served by LMG, Coastal and Hancock
      Medical Center. Social workers are at the depot free clinic to help
      county residents file for whatever type of medical assistance may be
      available to reduce their costs. The one local pharmacy open in Bay
      Saint Louis has honored prescriptions at greatly reduced costs to
      help citizens not have their funds completely depleted by high
      prescription costs.

      Church affiliated groups, Christian ministries, small towns and
      large cities and special individuals who just show up on our
      doorsteps have been so generous and wonderful to our community. As
      we get back on our feet all of these groups of volunteers who have
      taken on the big tasks since last September are helping us through
      the transition of being able to stand back on our own two feet. We
      don't know how to repay you, except through our prayers, and those
      you are receiving in abundance.

      Please take care and God bless each of you."

      Mike Cuevas

      bsldepot@...

      228-463-7120