30 days and counting

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2009
      Hi all,

      Well, it's 30 days till the festival kicks off and I for one am looking forward to it. It will be so nice to turn off my cell phone and leave it in the car unloved for 3 days and be in the great outdoors, soaking up the beautiful Northern California scenery and weather. Far enough from civilization that my company can't reach me for the latest emergency. What a joy.

      So, what are you all thinking about this years festival? I think the artist line up looks great. I know we have some first timers in this discussion group who must have questions so I'd love to see those questions posted.

      Also be aware that we now have a "rides wanted" list and a "rides offered" list in this group. Go to the "database" section on the left hand menu and you'll see those two lists. If you're looking for a ride or have space in your car for a music lover you can add an entry into the apprpriate list. Once you have been matched up, let me know and I'll remove your entry from the list.

      Ticket refunds ended on May 15, so if you find yourself with an extra ticket, you can use this group to look for a buyer. And if you suddenly need another ticket you may want to use this group to ask if anyone has an extra.

      So, let's get this discussion going. Have any of you seen Emmylou or Richard Harris live before? Were they as good as on CD's? I saw Shawn Colvin at this festival when she came along with Mary Chapin Carpenter and she was quite good. I'm looking forward to seeing her again.

      Who are you looking forward to seeing?

      what questons do you have about the festival?

      what suggestions do you have from prior festivals that you'd like to offer.

      Etc.

      Dan
    • emeisse
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2009
        Well, I think a STRONG warning about the sunshine on the car camping pasture is a good idea. You NEED to bring your own shade if you're going to be out there if you intend to spend much daylight time in camp.
        Personally, I'm really going to miss Utah Phillips. I'm looking forward to his son's presentation this year. It's really the unique feel of the Kate Wolf Festival that appeals to me. And Utah was central to that uniqueness. No other festival of this size can match either the intimacy or .... well, I don't quite know how to put it. The, "I'll be a hippie till I die" statement by Wavy Gravy a few years ago might sum it up best. The attitude seems very '60's to me. And it's not the headliners who tend to create that (not that I don't enjoy them). But you see the same headliners at all the festivals. Rather it's the smaller, often local, acts like Utah and the people who man (or maybe I should say person ;)) the gates and carry the trash and etc. For me, that is really this festival's strength. It's very northern California.

        -- In KateWolfFestival@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <CalifDan@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Well, it's 30 days till the festival kicks off and I for one am looking forward to it. It will be so nice to turn off my cell phone and leave it in the car unloved for 3 days and be in the great outdoors, soaking up the beautiful Northern California scenery and weather. Far enough from civilization that my company can't reach me for the latest emergency. What a joy.
        >
        > So, what are you all thinking about this years festival? I think the artist line up looks great. I know we have some first timers in this discussion group who must have questions so I'd love to see those questions posted.
        >
        > Also be aware that we now have a "rides wanted" list and a "rides offered" list in this group. Go to the "database" section on the left hand menu and you'll see those two lists. If you're looking for a ride or have space in your car for a music lover you can add an entry into the apprpriate list. Once you have been matched up, let me know and I'll remove your entry from the list.
        >
        > Ticket refunds ended on May 15, so if you find yourself with an extra ticket, you can use this group to look for a buyer. And if you suddenly need another ticket you may want to use this group to ask if anyone has an extra.
        >
        > So, let's get this discussion going. Have any of you seen Emmylou or Richard Harris live before? Were they as good as on CD's? I saw Shawn Colvin at this festival when she came along with Mary Chapin Carpenter and she was quite good. I'm looking forward to seeing her again.
        >
        > Who are you looking forward to seeing?
        >
        > what questons do you have about the festival?
        >
        > what suggestions do you have from prior festivals that you'd like to offer.
        >
        > Etc.
        >
        > Dan

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2009
          I really like what emeisse says. Let me echo the part about sun. Don't skimp on the sunblock and drink plenty of water. As a note, most of the music meadow (where the main stage is) is in sun most of the day. However, there is always a decent portion of the audience area that has shade at any point in time and you may occupy any unused chair until the owner returns. During the day, you can alomst always find an empty chair in the shade.

          I too am missing Utah and am eager to hear his son. However, I'm afraid I will compare the son to the dad and that will be a disservice to him since no one can live up to Utah. I am grateful that Wavy is still with us. Wavy has a lot that same presense and ability to spin a good yarn as Utah did.

          When I tell people on the East Coast about this festival, one thing I usually say is "if you've ever wondered where all the hippies went, come to the KWMMF and you'll know". I get as much out of just being with "my people" as I do from the music, but I do wonder what these people do in the real world.

          I am concerned though that I'm not seeing as many younger faces as are needed to carry on as us people who actually remember the 60's age away. I'd hate to see the festival slide further and further away from the musical genre of it's namesake in order to attract younger people.

          Dan