How Police Harass Foreign Citizen Punjabis?

  • Ravinder Sekhon
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
      How Police Harass Foreign Citizen Punjabis?
      Friends,
      We are sorry to learn about the harassment of Sikh preachers. India like most third world countries is most ill governed nation on earth.

      (Foreign Citizens must note down the “24 Hour Contact Mumber” of their respective Embassy / High Commission.)

      My Canadian citizen 70 years old aunt over stayed her 6 months Multiple VISA by few days in April 2004 for she built a new house in Punjab. She had valid passport up to 2007 and Multiple VISA up to 2006. She was expected to report to SSP for registration which (Few Punjabi Citizens Do) and pay about Rs. 1350/- fee.

      She reconfirmed the seat with Air Canada and proceeded depart for Alberta. She visited us for two hours and left for the airport at 11 PM.

      Her baggage was booked and boarding pass was also issued. But at the last moment she was not allowed to board the flight. Her luggage was offloaded and asked to report at (FRO) Home Office Delhi department dealing with foreigners without giving any written explanation. She came out of the airport at 3 PM. Her son who was on way back to Punjab came back to receive her. They were too embarrassed to call us a 3 AM. They called us at 5 AM and visited us at 6AM.

      At FRO around 11.30 AM we were informed that nothing much can be done here and she has to report to SSP Jalandhar. The alternative option was to get exemption India head office where we were informed that it admits applications for such cases up to 12 PM only. There was another 3 members family similarly detained on Friday evening.

      A clerk offered to help us for Rs.1500/-. Going back to Jalandhar would cost at least Rs.10,000/- and two days shuttling between Delhi and Jalandhar. Though I favored going to Canada embassy and Home Ministers residences within 1-2 km but she was willing to pay $C50 and this was right approach to get over the obstruction.

      At 5PM we were given a stapled letter for FRO Delhi. When it was opened it had directions to go to Jalandhar.

      At this I told the officers ”You have illegally detained a Canadian Citizen who has valid passport and VISA. And you do needful even after taking bribe of Rs. 1500”. Other family also joined us who paid Rs. 5,000/-.

      Officers disowned any corruption in their office. Then we and the other family emphasized they had taken money and are deliberately harassing foreign citizens and wanted to take them to the High Commissioner of Canada.

      They called the officer who had directed four Canadians to get clearance from SSPs offices in Punjab. Who pleaded ignorance and told us he had not taken any money and he is a heart patient on verge of retirement. He offered to give clearance. Rs. 1500/- and Rs. 5,000/- were refunded to us. The order was revised and we directed to pay Rs 1350/- each VISA extension fees.

      Immigration officer cannot detain departing “Foreigners who had valid VISA and passport”. IO may charge Rs.1350/-.

      Ravinder Singh Sekhon

    • Harmander Singh
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
        Contrast this with the apparent turning of a blind eye when all these "Freshies" are allowed to leave the country and con their leave entitlements abroad.

        Harmander Singh
        UK