NRIs pitch for early construction of Kartarpur Sahib Corridor

  • B.S.Goraya
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2011

      http://www.indianexpress.com/news/nris-pitch-for-early-construction-of-kartarpur-sahib-corridor/733838/0

      NRIs pitch for early construction of Kartarpur Sahib Corridor

      To enable Sikh pilgrims to visit Kartarpur Sahib gurdwara in Pakistan without visa

      A group of NRIs under the aegis of United Sikh Mission, a US-based NGO, are fighting the odds to establish the Kartarpur Sahib Corridor as a “peace corridor” between India and Pakistan.

      The corridor proposes to link Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan, where the first Sikh Guru is reported to have spent his last days.

      The Sikhs are seeking construction of the corridor at a cost of US $17 million (about Rs 77 crore), after which Sikh pilgrims from India can have the privilege of entering Pakistan to pay obeisance at the historic shrine and return the same day, without a visa.

      The Kartarpur Sahib gurdwara is located at a distance of 4.5 km from the India-Pakistan border in Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur district, and is visible from an elevated platform from the Dera Baba Nanak shrine located near the border.

      Rashpal Singh Dhindsa of USA, who is originally from Bias village in Jalandhar district and a member of the steering committee of the Kartarpur Sahib Marg, formed by the United Sikh Mission, lamented that even though the two governments had agreed to building the corridor 11 years ago, the project had been hanging fire due to bureaucratic red-tape.

      Dhindsa, also the president of United Sikh Mission, along with another steering committee member Gurbachan Singh, recently met Punjab Speaker Nirmal Singh Kahlon, requesting him to press upon the Punjab government to write to the Centre to expedite the corridor project. The Punjab Vidhan Sabha has already passed a resolution in favour of Kartarpur Corridor.

      Mission office-bearers have earlier met Union Surface Transport Minister Kamal Nath and AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi, who assured funds for the project.

      To see the project completed, a number of NRIs have already pledged to collect money and are ready to construct it on their own, provided all necessary permissions are granted by the government.

      Three shrines of Guru Nanak Dev — a Muslim grave, a Hindu samadhi and a Sikh angitha — exist at this historic shrine in Pakistan. Gurbachan Singh said the Kartarpur Sahib corridor had also received support from the then Union minister for external affairs Pranab Mukherji, who had said funds would be provided for the project.

      The project envisages a two-lane elevated highway with sidewalks linking Darbar Sahib, Kartarpur, with Dera Baba Nanak. The Sikh shrine is situated along the Ravi river.

      B.S.Goraya
      Editor:
      www.punjabmonitor.com
      www.kartarpur.com

      www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=126469580715039
      60, Diamond Avenue, Majitha Road, Amritsar
      Tel: 0091-9417064262(Mobile) 0091-183-2421915(Landline)
      (Email : bsgoraya@...)

    • saadatHnaqvih
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2011
        We in Pakistan endorse the efforts of our Sikh friends all over the world, to establish a free corridor to Karatpur Sahib The HOLIEST place in their religion.
        At the same time we may bring to the notice of our sentimental friends that there is a sacred SHRINE of Hazrat Imam Ali Shah Sahib at Rattar Chattar(MAKAN SHARIEF) visible from Pakistan side of the border(NAROWAL DIST.).The Saints there and the place have a history of nearly 500 years. Hazrat Daniyal came there in the year 1432A.D.preached Islam and there after the mission was carried out by his generation.
        The partition of the sub-continent forced the Muslims to migrate to Pakistan and there after the SHRINES and the Masjid are in ruins.Even the efforts to get a valid VISA to visit the Shrines is not granted by the Indian High commissioner.
        In THE matter of Religios visits the Indian Govt. should have some soft corner.We request our friends in Indian Punjab to help is in getting the restrictions on VISA RELAXED.