B747 and Apollo 11 v/s Riverlink / NWP Projects ©

  • Ravinder Sekhon
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      B747 and Apollo 11 v/s Riverlink / NWP Projects ©

      NWP is nothing but Garland Canal Project with ships operating in it. In 1980, then PM Smt. Indira Gandhi shelved Garland Canal project in two days of my petitioning.

      In April end in two messages posted on Waterwatch and other groups and mailed to honorable President, I slammed NWP project. Ganga Cauveri Link, Riverlink or Garland Canal etc are eccentric projects but operating ships in dry countryside is worst of all eccentric ideas in the world. The President acknowledged “Operating Shipping Lines On Dry Land In Hungry India” and “Chetan, George Bush Need Your River Link Experts” through his advisor. Here I am giving another perspective of the issue.

      It is unfortunate that as the USA successfully launched man on moon and introduced Boeing 747 the most successful jetliner in the world in 1969, Indian civil engineers were conceiving dubious and eccentric ideas like Ganga Cauveri link followed by Garland Canal, Indian River Link and recently National Waterways Project (NWP) etc.

      Readers will be surprised to know that a B747 consumes 10,000 liters of fuel to take 400 passengers over 800 kilometers in an hour. Assuming fuel cost @ Rs.30/- per liter, fuel cost per passenger kilometer is just INR 1/- and INR 1.5/- including taxes whereas GOI may be paying INR Rs.5/- per kilometer to its officers as petrol allowance to drive their car.

      Delhi – Mumbai Rajdhani makes one trip of 1380 km per day, Lufthansa flight reach other end of the globe; Delhi to San Francisco 15,000 kilometer in under 24 hours. Newer Jetliners A380 and Dreamliner B787 are expected to consume 30% less fuel or give 43% more mileage.

      National Waterways Project; Garland Canal Resurrected With Ships.

      Inland Navigation in naturally occurring water courses like Mississippi river, Yangtze is common efficient and economical including Calcutta where ships operating in sea could be serviced.

      Average discharge in Yangtze is 1.12 million cusecs with the commissioning of Three Gorges Dam, ships of up to 10,000 tons operating in the river could go 600 kilometers upstream of Three Gorges Dam and 1800 km from river discharge point. Payload of each ship is twice of Indian freight trains. Special locks were built to lift the ships to the dam lake.

      Ganga, the biggest river in India, carries less than 60,000 cusecs of water in summer months that too has to be shared with Bangladesh. Dry season flow in non Himalayan Rivers is not even 100 cusecs without dam releases.

      NWP of developing Canal Navigation is an eccentric project for in today’s time speed with efficiency and economy is essential.

      Canal navigation was established in developed countries before the introduction of Railways and Automobiles and aviation followed in last century. Most of the navigation canals were dismantled after the introduction of railways.

      Canals were 3 to 5 meter wide and 1-2 meters deep. A pair of horses could haul a boat of 40 tons payload at around 5 kilometers per hour. Canals were flat and after some distance locks were built to lower or raise the boats. Maximum distance moved was 100 km a day that too point to point - City A terminal to City B terminal. These navigation canals were not intended to transfer any water but for make up of losses in leakages, evaporation, seepages and water used in operation of locks, make up water was released in to the navigation canals to maintain water level.

      http://nwda.gov.in/writereaddata/sublinkimages/15.jpg
      http://www.nationalwaterways.com/
      http://www.nationalwaterways.com/project.html
      http://nwda.gov.in/writereaddata/sublinkimages/14.jpg

      [Above links are Garland Canal, NWP, NWP details and Ganga Cauvery Link]

      OBSERVATIONS;

      1. NWP or resurrected Garland Canal Project is so huge unlined Central Canal at 200 M wide and 30M deep almost 10 times larger in cross section of lined Naramada mainline that most of the water will be lost in few hundred kilometers of the project itself.

      2. Water cannot flow (theoretically) even an inch at same level whereas water was proposed to be carried through 5750 km and 4625 km long Central and Southern Waterways of NWP at same level as well as through 4500 km long Himalaya Waterways.

      3. The NWP is 10 times more costly than claimed. The project will never be operational even in hundred years given the present state of our economy. Even partially built structures of segments damaged and washed away in floods and rain will not be rebuilt.

      4. The NWP will cut the nation into bits and pieces and there will be severe dislocation of transport system and obstructions all around India.

      5. NWP will cut through tens of thousands of rivers, drains, roads, railway lines and thousands of bridges and aqueducts - each a huge structure, will be required. Presently civil engineers in India are not able to fill potholes in Mumbai, how will they manage up to 200 M wide and 30 M canal system 14375 km long network?

      6. Due to difference of few hundred miles between release and take up sites of Himalaya Waterway and Central Waterway respectively penstock losses shall be too high or negligible generation will be possible.

      7. There is no source of water to operate the profusely leaking unlined NWP and few existing dams along the NWP course have too little water for to spare for NWP.

      8. Most of the river basins are already exploited in India and possibility of international rivers to yield any water is remote considering priority needs of Ganga basin states that bear the floods need water for irrigation also.

      9. Post monsoon gross water storage of all dams within 50 km of NWP route is not even 30 maf or 2% of river flows, how this will serve NWP when irrigation needs are first priority.

      10. NWP is planned over hilly terrain entirely; India could not roll out 250 km Jammu Srinagar Rail Line in 25 years. How NWP project will be completed in good time?

      11. Unlined man made canals operating ships in dry land could leak out any time grounding ships for months and years.

      12. Since the NWP system is unlined speed restriction shall be 0.5 m per second or 1.8 kmph or 43.2 km per day otherwise waves shall erode and damage NWP canal.

      13. Assuming Canals are somehow operational, Jhansi to Jabalpur 500 km by rail is covered in 10 hours in passenger train and 2-3 days by goods train but 1500 km long Central Waterways route for same destinations will take more than 833 hours or 34 days.

      14. Delhi to Chennai 5000 km distance in NWP will be negotiated in 150 days including stoppages.

      15. Los Angeles to New York passenger liners will take 1 year, a honeymooning couple will be blessed with a child on way.

      Recommendation;

      >> Let NWP concept be first tried in USA which has all the resources and annual GDP of $13 trillion so could easily fund the project and in case of failure will not be ruined.

      Ravinder Singh, September01, 2006
      Inventor and Engineer
      Corruptionfree04@...

      "KAMARAJ NADAR" <ackamaraj@...> --------

      Dear Mr. Ravinder Singh,

      I am glad to receive your notes to Hon’ble President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul
      Kalam from the Waterwatch.

      I am also happy that you have studied the Inter-Linking of Rivers (ILR) proposal in depth. I agree with most of your points.

      However, I would like to add something on this.

      You are aware of the ILLR proposal by National Water Development
      Agency (NWDA). But that is not the only proposal for Interlinking of Rivers.
      “Ganga – Kumari NATIONAL WATERWAYS PROJECT” (NWP) for Networking of all Rivers in the Country is another alternative, which is studied by
      Government of India.

      When Shri. Suresh Prabhu was the Chairman of the Task Force for
      Inter-Linking of Rivers, he was not happy about the ILR by NWDA and he wanted to find an alternate proposal to ILR. He invited many proposals including NWP and after reviewing all proposals he came to the conclusion that NWP is the best.

      Many may not be aware of this proposal, but a few key persons know this. The Planning Commission, the Parliamentary Affairs Committee for Water
      Resources, the Ministry of Water Resources (MOWR) and the Hon’ble President are aware. (Please visit web.www.nationalwaterways.com).

      You have compared President of India with the President of USA. The
      powers of President and the constitution of India and USA are entirely different and can not be equated.

      NWP does not require fund from Government since the same can be
      carried on Build, Own, Operate and Transfer. (B.O.O.T.).

      Besides, NWP will not create traffic Hazad but on the other hand will
      facilitate economical transport.

      We want your comment on NWP.

      We can give you more details if you so desire.

      With regards,

      Yours sincerely,

      A.C. KAMARAJ.
      Expert Committee Member,