Fw: ‘Precious Knowledge’ documentary to a ir Feb. 17 at Wayne State University

  • Amorie Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2012

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Reynaldo Magdaleno <ramagdaleno@...>
      To: Reynaldo Magdaleno <ramagdaleno@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:15 PM
      Subject: ‘Precious Knowledge’ documentary to air Feb. 17 at Wayne State University

      Buenas tardes,

      On behalf of our community partners, Detroit Latin@z is forwarding the following Media Advisory published by Wayne State University’s Center for Latino and Latin American Studies and the Student Activities Budget Committee.

      FORWARDED [MEDIA ADVISORY]

      ‘Precious Knowledge’ documentary to air Feb. 17 at Wayne State University

      WHAT:

      El Salón de Nuestra Cultura student organization at Wayne State University will be screening the film “Precious Knowledge,” a documentary telling the story of student leaders from Tucson High School as they fight to save their Mexican American Studies (MAS) program. Although the program was among the nation’s most successful K-12 Latino student success programs, Arizona lawmakers decided to shut it down, declaring it illegal.

      While outlawing the MAS program, officials in Arizona also confiscated books read by students as part of the curriculum.  Banned books include “Occupied America,” by Rodolfo Acuña, Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” and an anthology, entitled “Cantos al Sexto Sol,” featuring two Detroit-area Latino poets, Trino Sánchez, Jr. and Ethriam Cash Brammer.

      Before the screening, Wayne State University Assistant Professor of English John Leary will lead a panel discussion.

      WHEN:

      Friday, Feb. 17, 2012, 6-9 p.m.

      WHERE:

      El Salón de Nuestra Cultura, General Lectures Building, Room 150, 5045 Anthony Wayne Dr., Detroit, MI 48202

      MORE INFO:

      To RSVP, call 313-828-8765 or email er4947@....

      Parking is available in Parking Structure #2 with a credit card or One Card. Metered parking is available on Anthony Wayne Drive.

      Sponsored by Wayne State University’s Center for Latino and Latin American Studies and the Student Activities Budget Committee.

      Wayne State University is a premier urban research institution offering more than 400 academic programs through 13 schools and colleges to nearly 32,000 students.

      FORWARDED [END]

      Gracias.

      --
      Reynaldo A. Magdaleno
      Co-Founder/Board Chair - Detroit Latin@z

      Detroit Latin@z is a 501(C)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to cultivate the voice, presence, and leadership of the Latino/a Lesbian, Gay, Bi-attractional and Transgender (LGBT) community in Michigan, empowering action towards full human rights and equality.

      "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." - Emiliano Zapata

      "We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community...Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own." - Cesar Chavez