Re: www.kaohsiungliving.com Re:Skype cell phones in last Sundays Taipei Times.....

  • Len Langevin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010

      I've had a magicjack for over a year now and it works great - as long as you have a good broadband connection. It works best if you have a wired phone as opposed to a cordless phone. You can also use a headset/mic plugged into your computer, which also provides great call quality - again, based on a good broadband connection.

      The yearly cost for your number is $20 US, but you get a discount if you buy a 5-year term...I think I paid $70 US for my five-year renewal....somewhere in that area.

      The downside of the magicjack for Canadians is you cannot get a Canadian phone number...apparently it's coming, but the company has been saying that for a long time now. It will give you free calls to Canada and the US including Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the USVI....but your family in Canada would have to call you on an American number...still a lot cheaper for them than calling a Taiwan number, though.

      I don't think magicjac.com ships outside of america, but they are also available at Walmart and Radio Shack in America...they might be available via either one of those websites.

      2010/6/30 Cheng-Chih Chen <chih0308@...>

      I think you can install Skype program on most smart phones, includes iPhone. most likely you can only make Skype call when  you have WiFi Internet access.
      Besides Smart phones, you can also get a wired Ethernet Skype phone or WiFi Skype phone. If you want this kind of phone I can look around online or call stores in town for you.
      I don't know if you are from North America. If you call U.S. and Canada you can consider buying a Magic Jack. With USD$40, it come with a U.S. number for you to receive calls and a year of unlimited calls to all US and Canada for a year then USD$20.00 a year after that. You can ask your friends in US to buy them from Best Buy and send it to you.

    • ttrtilley@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
        Skype runs on iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Nokia symbian phones.
        Check their website.