Grand Saloon

  • Mike Crooks
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      Went out with some friends Saturday night to see the "Triplets of
      Belleville" (cute but not GREAT) and then went to some Italian
      place where a guy name Tony Antonucci (or something close to that)
      sings "rat pack" songs every last Saturday of the month. It was
      also okay, but I get to "hear" good singers all the time. It just
      made me want to go out and do some singing on my own.

      So, on my way home, driving up Wornell, I realized I was going to
      drive within half a mile of Bo and the Grand Saloon so I decided
      to stop in, say hi, and maybe sing a song or two.

      Well, I accomplished the first two goals :) When I got there at
      11pm, I ran into Linda K. and Bobbit and found out that they had
      not even made it through the rotation once at that point! Bo told
      me that there were 25-30 people in the rotation. BUT, they were
      also just about to start a contest. Only problem there was the
      contest had a weekly theme and this weeks theme was COUNTRY.

      People who know me realize that I am countrifically challenged
      (ie don't like or listen to much country). So I though about
      it for a bit and came up with a country song I thought I could
      sing, and entered the contest. They were going to take 10
      singers and they had 17 entries so I had to cross my fingers.

      Didn't do me any good! Not only did I not get my name drawn,
      but neither Linda or Bobbit did either. Luck of the draw! So,
      seeing another hour of "music" (hey it WAS country) ahead of me
      before the regular rotation was going to start I decided to head
      on home. Probably was all for the best. Better that the regulars
      get their names drawn, and my competing singing a country song
      seemed somehow sacreligious. I think Linda stayed to judge, so
      hopefully she or Bo or both will post to let us know how the
      contest went.

      cya...Mike
    • Linda K
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        I think Linda stayed to judge, so
        hopefully she or Bo or both will post to let us know how the
        contest went.

        Yes I did stay and judge. Would like to thank Bo for that experience. And hopefully I will get the chance to do that again. It was an interesting experience. Linda C. won first place with Patsy Cline's, Walking After Midnight, followed by a tie for second with Sherri singing Strawberry Wine and (Bo help me please, memory went kaput) a guy that sang The Dukes of Hazard theme. Bobbit and I both got to sing the songs we would have sang if our names had been drawn immediately after the competitions were down. So Mr. Crooks, if you had stayed you would have probably been right up there after the competition.

        Next week, I believe, the genre for the contest is going to be easy listening. OK Bo, since All That Jazz couldn't qualify for country, will it for easy listening.....lol. (I am bound and determine that I WILL find somewhere that falls BEFORE the wild card genre....lol).

        I wonder if Bo will be thinking, "Why did I include THAT genre?" (the one of Adult Alternative) after he gets to hear six renditions of Let The Bodies Hit the Floor.

        The wondering minds want to know, Linda K.

        "Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering"-Winnie the Pooh

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007
          Kari K do you still do Grand Saloon on Sat night?

        • Lisa Phelps
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007
            I'm at Tommy's tonight so if your bored I would love to see you all there!!!!

            Lisa (mic-stroker)

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
          • kerrikaraoke34
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007
              Why yes ma'am I do, and I am most almost always there except for next
              Saturday the 21st I will be doing a reception so I believe Miss Shelley
              is filling in for me that night but otherwise, yes so PLEASE come see
              me! Carrieoke is from 9pm-1am...