Re: What about artists who remake 2 versions of their own...

  • Mike Crooks
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
      --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, Phil Anderson
      <PAnderson@A...> wrote:
      > Suzy,
      >
      > If I understand correctly, you are asking for
      example of when an
      > artist re-releases their OWN song in a different
      style and it makes it up
      > the charts. Very interesting question.

      An additional question that pops to mind are times when
      the same identical song has become a hit more than once
      ...like the Twist charting twice two years apart, or Rock
      Around the Clock getting boosted by American Graffiti,
      or became a hit long after its original release.

      I think most of these will have come by the songs being
      used in popular movies and being introduced to wider or
      sometimes completely different audiences. One of my
      favorite songs is Get Together by the Youngbloods. This
      song hardly got noticed (hit #67 when released in 1967) until years
      later it was featured in ads for Brotherhood Week in 1969 where it
      was used as background music for their radio and TV spots without
      even telling the Youngbloods. After a week or so of this exposure,
      the song took off eventually became a #1 hit for them.

      Another favorite of mine, Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce has a
      similar story. Apparently, the song was not even "polished" by the
      records producers because they thought no one would ever hear it.
      It was selected as the theme song for a TV movie aired in 1973
      called "She Lives" about a woman dying of cancer. The day after the
      movie aired the record company was swamped with orders. It was
      subsequently released as a single and hit #1 on the charts.

      Mike
    • QTCOP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
        You can still call Sean Connery out - I'll help it with whatever he wants to
        do!

        Cin

      • Deanna
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
          Oooops...LOL!! And I will say RIGHT on the great minds thing <big
          smile>

          Ok, how about this as a trivia question?

          What song took the longest time to go from when it was originally
          released to when it hit the charts as a number one hit?

          My first trivia question was the same artist releasing 2 versions of
          their own song in two completely different styles, like Breaking Up
          Is Hard To Do and Layla. A lot of the other "MTV unplugged" versions
          are usually the same song played accoustically, which is the same
          song, same style...just not played with electric guitars, etc...

          Deanna :)
        • Jack Giacometti
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
            Incidentally, Sean Connery another Adventuring Scotsman, and the same
            birthdate as mine....August 25.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
              Jack ??? I thought Sean Connery was Welsh ??? How are you doin' buddy?
              Haven't seen you in a long time ... I hope that you get to see me sing one of
              these days !!!

              From a greeneyed-redheaded Irish/Scot lass !!! :)

              Paula
            • Jack Giacometti
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
                Sean Connery IS NOT WELSH! Them no good Long Shanks are just tryin to
                claim a bonnie Scotsman for their own.

                Hey Hey Paula. Hope to see you too.
                Hey Hey Paula. Maybe I willl too
                Here's hoping to hear,
                End up where you're near
                Yes I do
                Yes I do

                A musical moment brought to you by a very bored Dragonslayer figuring
                out inventory.

                Jack the Adventurer

                Jack ??? I thought Sean Connery was Welsh ??? How are you doin' buddy?

                Haven't seen you in a long time ... I hope that you get to see me sing
                one of
                these days !!!

                >From a greeneyed-redheaded Irish/Scot lass !!! :)

                Paula

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                032265:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq
                so=60164797&partid=3170658>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=184878843>

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
                  No don't go disparaging the Welsh now me lad, or we may
                  have to come to blows! Perhaps, she was confused with
                  another Bond of Welsh descent (Timothy Dalton)?

                  But as a poet I would not think you would be smearing
                  the country that produced John Donne and Dylan Thomas!
                  And as an adventurer how can you besmirch the country
                  that produced not only Everest, and Captain Sir Henry
                  Morgan (the most successful freebooter on record) but
                  by many accounts Sir William Wallace himself?

                  And as a karaoke singer has produced not only Tom Jones
                  and others, but...well...ME! :)

                  Longshanks was ENGLISH scum...but then Longshanks as a
                  term was applied to him due to his great height (which
                  Wallace had as well...6' 7") and which thus would apply
                  to another person we both know who happens to share their size!

                  Hope to cya out sometime soon. My week of karaoke is but
                  two weeks away, so we will have to arrange to be at the same
                  venue sometime so we can discuss this like gentlemen over a
                  pint!

                  take care...Mike

                  --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Giacometti"
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
                    See there....Nothing two gentlemen can't settles over a few
                    pints.....less wars would be fought if ye only would see it that way.

                    Jack

                    Hope to cya out sometime soon. My week of karaoke is but
                    two weeks away, so we will have to arrange to be at the same
                    venue sometime so we can discuss this like gentlemen over a
                    pint!

                    take care...Mike

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                    032265:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq
                    so=60164784&partid=3170658>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                    pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=983601847>

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
                      Hahahaha !!! Okay, Jack .... I am gonna let you win this one ! Ever
                      consider giving up your day job to be a poet ???

                      I am also a direct descendent of John ... brother to Richard LionHeart .. lol
                      ! So much for name dropping and royal blood ! Hoping to be out and about on
                      Monday ....

                      Paula