Sherlock's Underground

  • Terry Beatty
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012
      Tried out the karaoke at Sherlock's last night and give it a thumb's up.  Liked the atmosphere in the place -- seemed low key and friendly -- an improvement over the previous bar at this address (though I'm judging that on only one visit, as the place closed not long after I moved to the area and before I could give it a second chance). Something of an older crowd, so, thankfully, no drunken youth-fueled drama going on.  As a mystery fan, I liked the Sherlock Holmes (and other crime flick) movie posters that decorate the joint.

      Nice karaoke set-up with good sound and a short rotation. I'm a little spoiled by books with larger and more eclectic selections -- but I still found plenty to sing.  I do wish, though, that just once, I could go out to karaoke and not hear "Picture." Just once! That one's worn out its welcome with me a long time ago.  (I'd also call a moratorium on "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" -- but that's just me.)

      The bar's website suggested this would have some sort of open mic/talent show element -- but (thank goodness!) what I found was a traditional well-run karaoke show. The non-singers in the crowd seemed largely disinterested in the show no matter who was singing -- but that's not terribly unusual. It's an extra plus for me that it's just minutes from home.  Will likely return.

      Good karaoke within a stone's throw of my house -- almost makes up for the nearby Popeye's closing down.  Almost....
    • vivalacious1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012
        Thanks for the good old fashioned review! We used to have these all the time and then as time went by and Facebook took over, they have slowly vanished.

        This place is in Liberty if I'm not mistaken so too far for me : ( But glad u liked it and is close to u! : )

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012
          Where is Sherlock's?  Sounds like a good one -

        • ladiblade2@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012
            We went the first week and found it most enjoyable too, with reasonable drink prices and great staff!  Hope to be back on a very soon Thursday!  Glad that Limelight Productions made it back into Liberty!

            Sherrie and Mark

            "We find beauty in the most incomprehensible places and the otherwise homely faces. It is our gift to see beyond the dirt, terror, sadness and defeat and find the true soul that lies within. We are Rescue."
            -Proud volunteer and foster mom of T.A.R.A. (The Animal Rescue Alliance)

            "The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves unfaithful or treacherous, is his dog... He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world.. When all other friends desert, he remains." - George G. Vest

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012
              Sherlocks Underground Coffeehouse & Pub | 858 South 291 Highway| Liberty, MO 64068  Next to Fashion Bug in the Cosentino's Price Chopper strip mall.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012

                Terry,

                Glad to hear you all enjoyed the show!

                If I remember correctly – did you sing Nick Lowe “Cruel To Be Kind” and “Allison” by Elvis Costello?  I’m trying to remember which other songs you sang.

                Also – if you don’t see the song you are interested in – just ask the KJ.  There’s a bunch of songs that aren’t listed in the books.  If I don’t have it – let me know and I’ll look into getting it.

                The bar owner is wanting to include open mic / talent show mixed-in with the karaoke.  We’re still working on that aspect of the show and I’m not quite sure it will pan-out like he wants.  Open Mic and Karaoke aren’t exactly a match made in heaven.  Most of the time , the overhead for an Open Mic performer means some “dead air” as they are setting-up and tearing-down their equipment – and I hate “dead air”.  Most karaoke singers will see this as a “waste of precious singing time”.  I’m hoping that they incorporate the Open Mic / Talent Show in with their current Wed Night Open Jam and we’ll have “straight up” karaoke on Thursdays.  I’ve done Open Mic nights before at some other venues – but always separate from the karaoke nights – it just seems to work better.  There’s even a lot of the Open Mic performers that will also come-in for karaoke.  It’s more a matter of the expectations of the clients when they are decided where to go and what to do for their entertainment that evening.  People don’t go to a movie theatre and expect to see the film stop right in the middle and some stand-up comic take to the floor in front of the screen.

                We’ll see how it pans-out.  There’s also a LOT of Karaoke in Liberty right now on Thursday Nights.  When I started talking to the Bar Owner at Sherlock’s about doing karaoke – I didn’t realize that The Landing in Liberty (about ½ mile north of Sherlock’s) and Retro Bowl (about 200 yards east) also do karaoke on Thursday Nights.  And (from what I heard last night) there’s another bar in Liberty that just started Thursday Night karaoke last night . . . lots of options for singers right now in Liberty on Thursday Nights.

                The bar itself is a fun nice-sized bar.  Not too small.  Not too big.  Two Pool tables.  A couple of electronic games – Darts and some other new game this past week.  They serve-up a (limited) menu for lunch and dinner – Yummy Barbeque (catered-in from Zarda), Hot Dogs & Brats, Chili-Cheese-Nachos and a couple other items that I can’t think of right now.  They are working to establish themselves as a “Blues Bar” and have some great bands booked-in over the next few weeks on Fri & Sat nights.

                PS – Totally agree on some of the songs that should be “banned from the books” – “Picture” - as well as anything else by Kid Rock – would fall into that category.  “Paradise By The Dashboard Lights”, “Summer Nights”, the list goes on.

                = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

                Vivia,

                Sherlock’s Underground is located in Liberty on 291 Highway - about ½ mile south of intersection of Highways 291 and 152.  It’s right behind “The Dish” and in the same strip mall as Price Chopper and Sutherlands.

                <From an earlier post>

                Thursday Night
                *** NEW SHOW ***
                Sherlock's Underground
                858 S 291 Hiway – Liberty
                (Right behind "The Dish")
                8:00 PM – Close

                </From an earlier post>

                Mark & Sherrie,

                Missed you last night.  Hope to see you soon!

                Phil “Bo” Anderson

                LimeLIght Productions

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 13, 2012
                  Thanks for the info.  I don't get to Liberty often, but I'll keep this in mind.