Re: [KansasCityKaraoke] Re: What is going on with this group?

  • phil sieve
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
      I thought The Red Balloon was an 7 or 8PMer.  The Pour House is 8PM or 9.  There was one Shawnee Mission PKWY too, I thought.  I just don't know what to do between leaving work and 8PM.  I might try the 7PM one at the River Market.  I don't care for organized interest group get-togethers, as opposed to the unstructured set-ups I talked about.

      Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:15:58 -0400

      Woops may have just sent a blank or part of this same reply???

      Here it is (possibly again)

      Usually start time is 9PM, so finding 8PM is somewhat lucky.

      I haven’t heard of anywhere around here that does it all day or that has a special karaoke room. That reminds me of the scene in “Lost in Translation” where they had a private karaoke room. Pretty cool, but I would prefer a larger audience, still a private room would be cool sometimes.

      What kind of songs do you like to sing?

      OH PS when I was in Acapulco I went to a restaurant that had karaoke and it was interesting because (if I recall now, I think u did two songs in a row????) they brought the microphone to your table and that is where you sang, sitting down at ur table!

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
        Ha ha.....this group is no longer organized.....and most don't get together any more.

        From: phil sieve <bro_juniper@...>
        Sender: KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
        To: <KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com

        I thought The Red Balloon was an 7 or 8PMer.  The Pour House is 8PM or 9.  There was one Shawnee Mission PKWY too, I thought.  I just don't know what to do between leaving work and 8PM.  I might try the 7PM one at the River Market.  I don't care for organized interest group get-togethers, as opposed to the unstructured set-ups I talked about.

             I found a couple locations that do it near work (nothing near home), but they start at around 8PM or so.  There was a foreigner-comfortable bar in Korea that had it throughout the evening.  There was a Filipino restaurant that had a small room for eating and karaoke (Koreans call it "noraebang") you didn't have to reserve (just eat there) and you could do it anytime of the day.  I'm sure there's rooms for reservations for staff or a group of friends to sing in KC somewhere, at an earlier time than 8 or so PM, but I don't seem to meet friends who want to, much less a room of them.

        You can do the same thing here. It is true that there is a lot of competition among singers in the Kansas City area. There are, however, a lot of folks that get up and sing their hearts out just to have a great time. Jr's is one of those places. Last Saturday was a perfect example of people singing what they wanted to hear, regardless of their ability (mostly due to alcohol). A great time was had by all. I am not trying to say that JR's is the ONLY place this is possible. What I AM saying that if you want to go to karaoke and sing, DO IT. No one is going to criticize you. We are all there for fun. I believe the same people or most of them that were here when Suzy ran this group are still here. Just don't know what happened to the "family" feel other than FB taking over our lives. Just sayin.

        --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "gbngbngbngd" <bro_juniper@...> wrote:

        > I'd like to do karaoke, but not the competitions. When I was in Korea for a year teaching English, as a civilian, employees just took their turn at the mic and sang what they entered into the machine. I like that.

      • Sue Davis
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
          Hey Stormy...Is Skeeter's still doing karaoke?  And when?  Saw on the web Thurs and Sat but called and they only said Sat.  Do you know?

          Thanks!

          .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:..:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

          From: phil sieve <bro_juniper@...>
          Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT)

          I thought The Red Balloon was an 7 or 8PMer.  The Pour House is 8PM or 9.  There was one Shawnee Mission PKWY too, I thought.  I just don't know what to do between leaving work and 8PM.  I might try the 7PM one at the River Market.  I don't care for organized interest group get-togethers, as opposed to the unstructured set-ups I talked about.

               I found a couple locations that do it near work (nothing near home), but they start at around 8PM or so.  There was a foreigner-comfortable bar in Korea that had it throughout the evening.  There was a Filipino restaurant that had a small room for eating and karaoke (Koreans call it "noraebang") you didn't have to reserve (just eat there) and you could do it anytime of the day.  I'm sure there's rooms for reservations for staff or a group of friends to sing in KC somewhere, at an earlier time than 8 or so PM, but I don't seem to meet friends who want to, much less a room of them.

          You can do the same thing here. It is true that there is a lot of competition among singers in the Kansas City area. There are, however, a lot of folks that get up and sing their hearts out just to have a great time. Jr's is one of those places. Last Saturday was a perfect example of people singing what they wanted to hear, regardless of their ability (mostly due to alcohol). A great time was had by all. I am not trying to say that JR's is the ONLY place this is possible. What I AM saying that if you want to go to karaoke and sing, DO IT. No one is going to criticize you. We are all there for fun. I believe the same people or most of them that were here when Suzy ran this group are still here. Just don't know what happened to the "family" feel other than FB taking over our lives. Just sayin.

          --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "gbngbngbngd" <bro_juniper@...> wrote:

          > I'd like to do karaoke, but not the competitions. When I was in Korea for a year teaching English, as a civilian, employees just took their turn at the mic and sang what they entered into the machine. I like that.

        • Tony K
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
            JR's is just north of 152 on N Oak. It's a nice friendly restaurant and bar. The food is good. The staff is friendly. Don't want to sound like an advertisement for them, but I do like it. Come out and see for yourself. Show starts at 8 on Tues and Saturday.

            -
          • Byran E. Meyer
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
              About 9321 N. Oak.

              On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 00:11:10 -0000 "Tony K" <crooner_4u2002@...>
              writes:
              > JR's is just north of 152 on N Oak. It's a nice friendly restaurant
              > and bar. The food is good. The staff is friendly. Don't want to
              > sound like an advertisement for them, but I do like it. Come out and
              > see for yourself. Show starts at 8 on Tues and Saturday.
              >

              > -

              Groupon.com Official Site
              1 huge daily deal on the best stuff to do in your city. Try it today!
              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4dae27587d8db8540ddst05vuc
            • ilovestorms6608@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
                No sorry. Haven't been there since he booked my band then cancelled without calling me.

                From: phil sieve <bro_juniper@...>
                Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT)

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
                  I mean, by organized, budgets and agendas and booths at events.  If you're in a Japan fan club, why not just go out for a Japanese dinner or watch a Japanese  movie or anime?  What is a karaoke show?  What is it?  An unofficial tribute or genre band, like Soca Jukebox (excellent band, BTW!)?  I hear something about DJs.  I thought the singer is the entertainment for a few minutes of the night.  I never did karaoke before Korea.  I saw a little karaoke machine at a pawn shop some months ago.  Can you get discs for them?

                  Ha ha.....this group is no longer organized.....and most don't get together any more.

                  From: phil sieve <bro_juniper@...>
                  Sender: KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
                  To: <KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 19, 2011
                    There used to be an actual store in kc that sold them but now except for walmart you have to order them online. Just type in karaoke discs in google.

                    From: phil sieve <bro_juniper@...>
                    Sender: KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 21:56:02 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: <KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: phil sieve <bro_juniper@...>
                    Sender: KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:55:15 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: <KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com

                    I thought The Red Balloon was an 7 or 8PMer.  The Pour House is 8PM or 9.  There was one Shawnee Mission PKWY too, I thought.  I just don't know what to do between leaving work and 8PM.  I might try the 7PM one at the River Market.  I don't care for organized interest group get-togethers, as opposed to the unstructured set-ups I talked about.

                         I found a couple locations that do it near work (nothing near home), but they start at around 8PM or so.  There was a foreigner-comfortable bar in Korea that had it throughout the evening.  There was a Filipino restaurant that had a small room for eating and karaoke (Koreans call it "noraebang") you didn't have to reserve (just eat there) and you could do it anytime of the day.  I'm sure there's rooms for reservations for staff or a group of friends to sing in KC somewhere, at an earlier time than 8 or so PM, but I don't seem to meet friends who want to, much less a room of them.

                    You can do the same thing here. It is true that there is a lot of competition among singers in the Kansas City area. There are, however, a lot of folks that get up and sing their hearts out just to have a great time. Jr's is one of those places. Last Saturday was a perfect example of people singing what they wanted to hear, regardless of their ability (mostly due to alcohol). A great time was had by all. I am not trying to say that JR's is the ONLY place this is possible. What I AM saying that if you want to go to karaoke and sing, DO IT. No one is going to criticize you. We are all there for fun. I believe the same people or most of them that were here when Suzy ran this group are still here. Just don't know what happened to the "family" feel other than FB taking over our lives. Just sayin.

                    --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "gbngbngbngd" <bro_juniper@...> wrote:

                    > I'd like to do karaoke, but not the competitions. When I was in Korea for a year teaching English, as a civilian, employees just took their turn at the mic and sang what they entered into the machine. I like that.

                  • Steve Douglas
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 20, 2011
                      JR's is right off of 152 Hwy and N. Oak Trfy. in the northland. This is a great little bar, awesome food, great Karaoke and a really kick ass Bartenders with great drink specials! Come sing, dine and experience a wonderful team at JR's Bar and Grill 9321 N Oak Trfwy. Karaoke from 9-1 on Saturday and 8-12 on Tuesday's!

                      I love this place as this is the bar that I started singing Karaoke at, also one of my first Karaoke shows. This is where I met most of our northland Karaoke singers.

                      Love to have you out!

                      Steve Douglas
                      Ultimate DJ and Karaoke

                    • JH4343@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 20, 2011
                        Thanks Steve and Tony, for the info.  I'll try to get there one of these nights.

                        JR's is right off of 152 Hwy and N. Oak Trfy. in the northland. This is a great little bar, awesome food, great Karaoke and a really kick ass Bartenders with great drink specials! Come sing, dine and experience a wonderful team at JR's Bar and Grill 9321 N Oak Trfwy. Karaoke from 9-1 on Saturday and 8-12 on Tuesday's!

                        I love this place as this is the bar that I started singing Karaoke at, also one of my first Karaoke shows. This is where I met most of our northland Karaoke singers.

                        Love to have you out!

                        Steve Douglas
                        Ultimate DJ and Karaoke
                        --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, JH4343@... wrote:

                        > Where is Jr's, or JR's?

                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 20, 2011
                          Well not to toot my own horn but I own a karaoke rig and run a show five nights a week in Wyandotte County and I hate to run contests. I prefer a nice crowd of straight karaoke and a great time. Every time a contest is held someone's feelings get hurt or I get blamed for the thing being rigged, I just don like contests.

                          Dantastic

                          --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, phil sieve <bro_juniper@...> wrote:

                          > I found a couple locations that do it near work (nothing near home), but
                          > they start at around 8PM or so. There was a foreigner-comfortable bar in Korea
                          > that had it throughout the evening. There was a Filipino restaurant that had a
                          > small room for eating and karaoke (Koreans call it "noraebang") you didn't have
                          > to reserve (just eat there) and you could do it anytime of the day. I'm sure
                          > there's rooms for reservations for staff or a group of friends to sing in KC
                          > somewhere, at an earlier time than 8 or so PM, but I don't seem to meet friends
                          > who want to, much less a room of them.
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Richard Talley
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 20, 2011
                            Steve's Ultimate Karaoke or Dee's Delightful Karaoke are two venues that are fun and non-judgemental...
                            When I Karaoke, that's where I Karaoke.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 21, 2011
                              Dan, how do we see where you'll be doing your karaoke nights?  I live in WyCo.

                              Well not to toot my own horn but I own a karaoke rig and run a show five nights a week in Wyandotte County and I hate to run contests. I prefer a nice crowd of straight karaoke and a great time. Every time a contest is held someone's feelings get hurt or I get blamed for the thing being rigged, I just don like contests.

                              Dantastic

                              --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, phil sieve <bro_juniper@...> wrote:

                              > I found a couple locations that do it near work (nothing near home), but
                              > they start at around 8PM or so. There was a foreigner-comfortable bar in Korea
                              > that had it throughout the evening. There was a Filipino restaurant that had a
                              > small room for eating and karaoke (Koreans call it "noraebang") you didn't have
                              > to reserve (just eat there) and you could do it anytime of the day. I'm sure
                              > there's rooms for reservations for staff or a group of friends to sing in KC
                              > somewhere, at an earlier time than 8 or so PM, but I don't seem to meet friends
                              > who want to, much less a room of them.

                            • John
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 21, 2011
                                Red Balloon has had karaoke for ever...it is quite the dive but there are those of us who like dive (read as small neighborhood non-sports) bars. Never became a fan of the balloon however. The rotation did seem to play favorites. Crowd didn't seem all that open to newbies. I only tried it twice. Given there are so many other venues I took myself elsewhere. It is a house system so I guess technically they could have karaoke anytime...I think they do publish hours on the show though.

                                Reminds me of another dive I used to frequent very early in my karaoke wanderings--Lafferties over on highway 40 I think heading in the direction of Raytown. I can drive there but couldn't give you an address. The owner had a Pioneer karoake set and he lived nearby. So if people came in wanting to sing and he wasn't there the bartender would let him know and he would come in and run the show. Nice guy. He sold the bar years ago (I heard) and it may not even exist anymore. But fun memories.

                                Mike