Re: Tommy's

  • gigiloves2sing
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
      Wow....sounds like a bit of a headache for the venue and karaoke
      companies!! There's obviously so much more going on behind the
      scenes in karaoke than I ever imagined!!

      Thanks for filling me in, Matt!

      --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <mstalanon@...>
      wrote:

      > Gigi,
      >
      > that's the licensing to which artists are paid that are registered
      > thru BMI. ASCAP is another that artists register with... as is
      SEASAC I believe. SEASAC is mostly for folk type music.

      > At one time, I used to know which ASCAP and BMI really
      represented. One was mostly pop music, where another was more the
      R&B, Jazz, some country... it's pretty complicated.

      > But basically, ANY venue that has live music protects itself from
      > being sued or shut down by paying these licenses. Karaoke and
      Jukebox are yet other ways that are represented. Many people put
      ASCAP/BMI into a mafia relationship, as there are a LOT of artists
      that have stated they've never been truly represented by them. So a
      lot of folks don't want to pay.

      > THe problem is, ASCAP and BMI BOTH CAN and WILL shut venues down!
      >
      > Matt

    • kevin shavnore
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
        It was great seeing you in such lovely form last night
        It is nice seeing you out of your shell...Looking forward to seeing you this weekend
        Im gonna have a special treat for ya SINCE YOU LOVE DIFFERENT STUFF TO SING! lol

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
          never a problem... to be honest, most people DON'T understand it, and
          there's a lot of misunderstandings about it. Also, venues pay what
          they're charged, but there's no real standard. There's a lot of
          negotations behind the scenes, so two identical venues would pay two
          totally different fees.

          Yeah, it's a convoluted mess to be certain!

          --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "gigiloves2sing"
          <music4gigi@...> wrote:

          > Wow....sounds like a bit of a headache for the venue and karaoke
          > companies!! There's obviously so much more going on behind the
          > scenes in karaoke than I ever imagined!!
          >
          > Thanks for filling me in, Matt!
          >

          > --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <mstalanon@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Gigi,
          > >
          > > that's the licensing to which artists are paid that are
          registered
          > > thru BMI. ASCAP is another that artists register with... as is
          > SEASAC I believe. SEASAC is mostly for folk type music.
          > >
          > > At one time, I used to know which ASCAP and BMI really
          > represented. One was mostly pop music, where another was more the
          > R&B, Jazz, some country... it's pretty complicated.
          > >
          > > But basically, ANY venue that has live music protects itself from
          > > being sued or shut down by paying these licenses. Karaoke and
          > Jukebox are yet other ways that are represented. Many people put
          > ASCAP/BMI into a mafia relationship, as there are a LOT of artists
          > that have stated they've never been truly represented by them. So a
          > lot of folks don't want to pay.
          > >
          > > THe problem is, ASCAP and BMI BOTH CAN and WILL shut venues down!
          > >
          > > Matt

        • gigiloves2sing
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
            Thanks, Kevin....(I think!) I have been trying to relax more & let
            my hair down at karaoke. The Crown contributed in a major way!! But
            I think the people there was a really fun group and it encouraged
            me!

            Why is it that this "special treat" you speak of makes me a bit
            nervous???

            --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, kevin shavnore
            <kshavy2002@...> wrote:

            > It was great seeing you in such lovely form last night
            > It is nice seeing you out of your shell...Looking forward to
            seeing you this weekend
            > Im gonna have a special treat for ya SINCE YOU LOVE DIFFERENT
            STUFF TO SING! lol

          • Mike Crooks
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
              The key is that if you perform music in public or even just play music
              in public you need to pay for that right. However, the artist isn't
              the one that needs to pay. The way it is setup, the venue is
              responsible for paying. Now they can pass the cost along to the person
              that wants to USE the venue, but directly the singer is not responsible
              for it.

              So bars, or anywhere else, that wants to play music or for that matter
              to have TVs running has licensing fees that they need to pay.

              Mike
            • Deanna
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
                Depending on where you're coming from...JR's Place in Olathe Great Mall
                has karaoke on both Thursdays and Fridays. (Actually Wednesdays,
                Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays) Mike has a good crowd for
                Thursdays. The show starts up around 9:30pm. Also the dinner special
                for Thursdays is Chicken Fried Steak... Big Bud Beers are $3 and $2
                Cherry Bombs. If you've never been to JR's, the Cherry Bomb is a
                requirement ;P