Re: Tommy's

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
      Gigi,

      that's the licensing to which artists are paid that are registered
      thru BMI. ASCAP is another that artists register with... as is SEASAC
      I believe. SEASAC is mostly for folk type music.

      At one time, I used to know which ASCAP and BMI really represented.
      One was mostly pop music, where another was more the R&B, Jazz, some
      country... it's pretty complicated.

      But basically, ANY venue that has live music protects itself from
      being sued or shut down by paying these licenses. Karaoke and Jukebox
      are yet other ways that are represented. Many people put ASCAP/BMI
      into a mafia relationship, as there are a LOT of artists that have
      stated they've never been truly represented by them. So a lot of folks
      don't want to pay.

      THe problem is, ASCAP and BMI BOTH CAN and WILL shut venues down!

      Matt

      --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "gigiloves2sing"
      <music4gigi@...> wrote:

      > That's a bummer! I gotta ask though...what is a BMI?
      >

      > --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, carrieoke1@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the great review however we are having a break right
      now
      > from Tommy's as they are deciding whether or not to pay for BMI so I
      > will let you know if they are going to ever have entertainment again
      > lol
      > >
      > > Carrieoke

    • gigiloves2sing
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
        Wow....sounds like a bit of a headache for the venue and karaoke
        companies!! There's obviously so much more going on behind the
        scenes in karaoke than I ever imagined!!

        Thanks for filling me in, Matt!

        --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <mstalanon@...>
        wrote:

        > Gigi,
        >
        > that's the licensing to which artists are paid that are registered
        > thru BMI. ASCAP is another that artists register with... as is
        SEASAC I believe. SEASAC is mostly for folk type music.

        > At one time, I used to know which ASCAP and BMI really
        represented. One was mostly pop music, where another was more the
        R&B, Jazz, some country... it's pretty complicated.

        > But basically, ANY venue that has live music protects itself from
        > being sued or shut down by paying these licenses. Karaoke and
        Jukebox are yet other ways that are represented. Many people put
        ASCAP/BMI into a mafia relationship, as there are a LOT of artists
        that have stated they've never been truly represented by them. So a
        lot of folks don't want to pay.

        > THe problem is, ASCAP and BMI BOTH CAN and WILL shut venues down!
        >
        > Matt

      • kevin shavnore
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
          It was great seeing you in such lovely form last night
          It is nice seeing you out of your shell...Looking forward to seeing you this weekend
          Im gonna have a special treat for ya SINCE YOU LOVE DIFFERENT STUFF TO SING! lol

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
            never a problem... to be honest, most people DON'T understand it, and
            there's a lot of misunderstandings about it. Also, venues pay what
            they're charged, but there's no real standard. There's a lot of
            negotations behind the scenes, so two identical venues would pay two
            totally different fees.

            Yeah, it's a convoluted mess to be certain!

            <music4gigi@...> wrote:

            > Wow....sounds like a bit of a headache for the venue and karaoke
            > companies!! There's obviously so much more going on behind the
            > scenes in karaoke than I ever imagined!!
            >
            > Thanks for filling me in, Matt!
            >

            > --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <mstalanon@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Gigi,
            > >
            > > that's the licensing to which artists are paid that are
            registered
            > > thru BMI. ASCAP is another that artists register with... as is
            > SEASAC I believe. SEASAC is mostly for folk type music.
            > >
            > > At one time, I used to know which ASCAP and BMI really
            > represented. One was mostly pop music, where another was more the
            > R&B, Jazz, some country... it's pretty complicated.
            > >
            > > But basically, ANY venue that has live music protects itself from
            > > being sued or shut down by paying these licenses. Karaoke and
            > Jukebox are yet other ways that are represented. Many people put
            > ASCAP/BMI into a mafia relationship, as there are a LOT of artists
            > that have stated they've never been truly represented by them. So a
            > lot of folks don't want to pay.
            > >
            > > THe problem is, ASCAP and BMI BOTH CAN and WILL shut venues down!
            > >
            > > Matt

          • gigiloves2sing
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
              Thanks, Kevin....(I think!) I have been trying to relax more & let
              my hair down at karaoke. The Crown contributed in a major way!! But
              I think the people there was a really fun group and it encouraged
              me!

              Why is it that this "special treat" you speak of makes me a bit
              nervous???

              --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, kevin shavnore
              <kshavy2002@...> wrote:

              > It was great seeing you in such lovely form last night
              > It is nice seeing you out of your shell...Looking forward to
              seeing you this weekend
              > Im gonna have a special treat for ya SINCE YOU LOVE DIFFERENT
              STUFF TO SING! lol

            • Mike Crooks
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
                The key is that if you perform music in public or even just play music
                in public you need to pay for that right. However, the artist isn't
                the one that needs to pay. The way it is setup, the venue is
                responsible for paying. Now they can pass the cost along to the person
                that wants to USE the venue, but directly the singer is not responsible
                for it.

                So bars, or anywhere else, that wants to play music or for that matter
                to have TVs running has licensing fees that they need to pay.

                Mike
              • Deanna
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 7, 2008
                  Depending on where you're coming from...JR's Place in Olathe Great Mall
                  has karaoke on both Thursdays and Fridays. (Actually Wednesdays,
                  Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays) Mike has a good crowd for
                  Thursdays. The show starts up around 9:30pm. Also the dinner special
                  for Thursdays is Chicken Fried Steak... Big Bud Beers are $3 and $2
                  Cherry Bombs. If you've never been to JR's, the Cherry Bomb is a
                  requirement ;P