Re: [KansasCityKaraoke] Harrah's Lucky Break

  • vivalacious1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 70 , Oct 1, 2007
      Good Luck Kerry!  That's AWESOME!

    • vivalacious1@aol.com
      Message 70 of 70 , Apr 2, 2008
        WOW Mike thats great!  and very funny bowling right up her alley.  : )

        Did you sing Hallelujah?
        Well, I did my Harrah's thing last night, scratchy voice and all!
        There were 14 singers and all but a couple were really pretty decent
        and no one was bad, but the judges were HARSH!

        I was fortunate enough to go second from last, but I think I saw more
        3's and 4's last night than probably any other night that I had
        watched the show! They had three comedians there (ostensibly for
        April fools day but they have been doing that a lot anyway!). They
        were being rough with everybody. There were a couple of good singers
        early on that go hammered by them, unjustifiably in my mind. I don't
        think there were any scores above 16 or 17 in the first half of the
        singers or more! No horns either...didn' t get a horn all night.

        I don't know if someone talked to them, but I think they definitely
        eased up a bit at the end. Out of the last 5 singers at least three
        got 18 or more (and they really weren't any better than the ones that
        came before them).

        Three people in front of me a woman who had a big voice but I didn't
        like the way it sounded pulled a 19 - the high score at that point.
        Then a guy did an okay Neil Diamond, had brough half the crowd, and
        still got hammered by the judges. The guy right in front of me was
        probably my age, had a really heavy Ozarks accent, and sang
        Meatloaf's Two Out of Three Ain't Bad. He was okay (Steve and his
        friend thought he was one of the worst of the night...I would put him
        more towards the middle) but for some reason the judges went for it
        (okay I can see where the trailer park queen might think it was the
        bomb, lol!). He pulled a 20 including a 7 from the first judge who
        had been the biggest hard ass all night long.

        So I got to follow that. I did okay, my voice really wasn't there
        100% but it really didn't matter. I saw the trailer park queen pull
        her number out for me after I had finished the first LINE of the song!
        I ended up getting the same scores as the guy in front of me from the
        first two judges (7 and 6) but the trailer park queen gave me a 5
        making some quip about wishing I had changed out of my bowling
        clothes before coming out to the contest! I had come straight from
        work and didn't bother changing clothes. Funny comment coming from
        her!! You would think bowling would be right up her alley!!

        Anyway, my 18 put me in third for the night...not sure if there was
        another prior to that or not. Doesn't REALLY matter since only first
        gets anything. I got it out of my system though, and I have DVR now
        so I can get a copy of my being on TV for posterity :)! I missed it
        the first time i was on (which is probably just as well).