Re: [KansasCityKaraoke] Fire at Johnny's!

  • kcbarwitch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      LOL! This daughter will be 24 in November (and has an awesome singing
      voice), but she fell in love with one of the T-Bone players and is moving home with
      him to San Diego in about a week. The other one will be 23 in October and is
      at U of A in Tucson. I'm afraid it would be a long distance romance. And how
      old are you?

      And I'm not sure about having a guy like you in the family ----- since we
      haven't met yet!

      BarWitch

      In a message dated 8/31/2004 11:43:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
      Showtimecalls@... writes:
      So Joni how old is your daughter? Hook me Up !!!!!!!!!!! can you handle
      having a a guy like me in your family?

    • tkaraoke@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
        Well folks,
        As of this time we haven't heard from Johnny's but
        like Carrie said, I'm sure it's going to take time for them to rebuild and get
        things up and running there. In preparation for the re-opening, here is a
        partial list of songs that will
        be omitted from the karaoke song book:

        Talking Heads - Burning Down The House
        Ohio Players - Fire
        Buster Poindexter - Hot, Hot, Hot
        Cheap Trick - The Flame
        Meatloaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Lights*

        LOL

        On a very serious note, I'm very thankful that this fire didn't happen on a
        night when we were there, especially on Saturday when the place is packed. Ever
        since the "Great White" tragedy of last summer, I have a habit of looking
        for alternate exits when I go out to a bar or restaurant I'm not familiar with.
        It's a good habit to get into since you never know when you might have to make
        a quick exit since (according to experts) people tend to try to leave the
        same way that came in...aka..the main front doors. I know it's something we don't
        like to think about but it's something we should all be aware of to protect
        ourselves.

        *Not a song that deals with this situation, just thought I could sneak it
        through... lol

      • Showtimecalls@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
          In a message dated 9/1/2004 7:04:51 AM Central Standard Time,
          kcbarwitch@... writes:
          LOL! This daughter will be 24 in November (and has an awesome singing
          voice), but she fell in love with one of the T-Bone players and is moving
          home with
          him to San Diego in about a week. The other one will be 23 in October and is
          at U of A in Tucson. I'm afraid it would be a long distance romance. And
          how
          old are you?

          And I'm not sure about having a guy like you in the family ----- since we
          haven't met yet!
          I'm only 28 and it's not all my fault we haven't met yet. I almost went to
          Arizona for School but I decided to go to UCLA for 2 years then got home sick
          and went to KU for 2years.
          I'm ready to move anyways so Arizona is right up my Block

          Kevin

        • Showtimecalls@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
            In a message dated 9/1/2004 10:02:22 AM Central Standard Time,
            tkaraoke@... writes:
[...]

            That really isn't something to Joke about but why is meatloaf in that
            category?

            The difference in the Bar hosting the Great White Concert and bars in KC is
            we do Karaoke or Dancing we dont do Live Pyro Shows around here so a freak
            inncident like that wont happen but fires are really no Joking matter.

            Kevin

          • tkaraoke@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
              Kevin,

              First of all, I take the threat of fire very seriously in any kind of public
              place which was the main reason I posted that message. If just one person read
              that message and took that suggestion then I would feel that it was worth the
              time posting the information.

              Second, I'm not sure if you are aware of it but I'm the KJ/DJ for that show
              and now I'm out of two nights of work because of the fire. I (and CarrieOke
              Productions) have a direct monetary loss because of this situation.

              Finally, I was trying to use a little humor to soften a very serious subject
              to make a positive impression on a negative situation. I'm sorry that some
              people need a "humor roadmap" to understand the intention of the added humor in
              my post. My intention wasn't to confuse or bewilder.

            • Showtimecalls@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                In a message dated 9/1/2004 11:19:03 AM Central Standard Time,
                tkaraoke@... writes:
                First of all, I take the threat of fire very seriously in any kind of public
                place which was the main reason I posted that message. If just one person
                read
                that message and took that suggestion then I would feel that it was worth the
                time posting the information.

                Second, I'm not sure if you are aware of it but I'm the KJ/DJ for that show
                and now I'm out of two nights of work because of the fire. I (and CarrieOke
                Productions) have a direct monetary loss because of this situation.

                Finally, I was trying to use a little humor to soften a very serious subject
                to make a positive impression on a negative situation. I'm sorry that some
                people need a "humor roadmap" to understand the intention of the added humor
                in
                my post. My intention wasn't to confuse or bewilder.
                I know Tony when I realized it was you I understand what you were doing, But
                message was already sent so I figured I'd wait for a response like this so i
                can apologize. But a "Humor Roadmap" you know better to suggest that to me of
                all people. But I love ya! Not gonna argue with ya, Good luck and if you ever
                wanna fill in for me on those nights to get in that fix, Let me know.

                Kevin

              • Susy
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
                  --- In KansasCityKaraoke@yahoogroups.com, tkaraoke@a... wrote:
                  >>> First of all, I take the threat of fire very seriously in any
                  kind of public place which was the main reason I posted that
                  message. If just one person read that message and took that
                  suggestion then I would feel that it was worth the time posting the
                  information.

                  Tony, I, for one, appreciated your suggestion of looking for
                  alternate exits in an unfamiliar place. That was a new thought to me
                  and one that I plan on implementing (or trying to remember to
                  implement). So maybe I'm that "one person" and I thank you for
                  posting that.

                  >>> Second, I'm not sure if you are aware of it but I'm the KJ/DJ
                  for that show and now I'm out of two nights of work because of the
                  fire. I (and CarrieOke Productions) have a direct monetary loss
                  because of this situation.

                  I hope things work out for you, Tony T! Two nights can cut an ugly
                  hole in the ol' $$$ budget. You too, Carrie/Mike!

                  >>> Finally, I was trying to use a little humor to soften a very
                  serious subject to make a positive impression on a negative
                  situation.

                  Again, Tony, I concur with the humor that you shared with the group.
                  It's been a long-standing practice on KansasCityKaraoke to do just
                  what you did: In a humorous and light-hearted vein, list titles of
                  songs that went with a particular topic being discussed. (Bo holds
                  the long-standing title of King of Song Listing!) Since no one was
                  killed or hurt in that fire that I am aware of, levity is the way
                  that many people, if not most, cope with the possibilities of 'what
                  if.'

                  Had someone died, I know that Tony would NEVER have even suggested
                  any humor at all. Knowing him, I imagine he would be leading a
                  campaign to collect donations for the survivor(s).

                  Susy