CAMP COMMISSIONER HELP NEEDED ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY MORNINGS

  • Nupen Ohana
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2006
      All,

      Camp Pupukea staff need LOTS of help this Saturday from about 6-7 AM to about 10-11 AM to help check the Troops out of their campsites.  This includes inspections of the campsites, the patrol boxes (if they used Camp Pupukea equipment), and such.

      Also, they will need help to check in Troops on Sunday - lunch at about 11-12 or so, and Troop check-in starts at 1 PM.  This is also a unique opportunity on Sunday to actually meet and assist a Boy Scout Troop from the United Kingdom.

      And, as usual, anyone who can come up to camp, even for a half day, to help out with Camp Commissioner duties, being a jack-of-all-trades, or other ways you can assist, you would be more than welcome.  Just check in with Tanya (Program Director), Mike (Camp Director), or Bruce (Camp Commissioner).

      I have been up several times each week that I have been available during weeks 1 and 3.  I was out of town for work during week 2 and will be out of town during week 4.

      Kaala District Commissioner

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 21, 2006

        Yes, thanks, Barry, for putting in another appeal for assistance at Camp Pupukea.  I do hope the other districts are asking for assistance also.  There will be another large group checking in on Sunday, over 300.  Of course, check-out on Saturday is critical because the troops want to leave but camp staff need to inspect their equipment carefully.  This week the New Jersey troop, unfortunately, got a filthy patrol box that was greasey and sticky.  How they passed inspection is beyond me!  I was told the troop with that box checked out 20 minutes before the deadline.  I would've just had them clean the box even if they were late.  The more eyes, ears, and hands up there, the better.

        Check-in isn't too critical.  They had more than enough help, although the check-in line was very long and slow.  Don't know what the problem was.  There will be a troop from England this coming week.  Last week we had a couple of troops from Grand Rapids and New Jersey.  Oh yes, I brought my own lunch on Sunday too.  I just stopped in Foodland at the bottom to grab a sandwich.  Good thing because there was hardly anything left after the boys went through the lunch line.  Just a suggestion...

        Thank you, Barry, for assisting at summer camp.  The shower is now bright with the new light fixtures.  Mahalo!

[...]

      • Frank Godek
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 21, 2006
          I mentioned that help was needed at the Council Key 3 meeting last week during the Commissioner break-out.  Lindy was there, too, and he mentioned it as well.  From what I've heard though, the help has all been from Ka'ala with the exception of Lindy (Kapiolani) and Jeff Owens (Kam).

          Frank

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 21, 2006

            Thanks, Frank.  Yes, you're right about the help coming from the Ka'ala District...Joe Picon, Barry Nupen, Liz Baldwin, and myself.  In fact for the 4 days I was there, the extra help from the other districts came from Lindy and Carl (don't know what district he's from).  Yea, Ka'ala!!!  BTW, do any of you know if others have gone up to help?  I heard Chester was going up there as soon as he gets back from Japan.  What a Scouter!  No jetlag, Chester?

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 21, 2006
              And me!  I was up there on 2 days during the 2nd week.  Didn't get up there this week because of problems but I am planning on going up for 2 or 3 days next week.  If you count DE's I know that Wade has been up to help, too.  Karl Sakai is from Kam District so that makes 4 Kaala volunteers (5 if Chester goes up), 1 Kapiolani, and 3 Kam.  What happened to Koolina, Koolau Poko, and Koolau Loa?

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 21, 2006

                Yes, there definitely should be more volunteers from Ko Olina and Kamehameha Districts since their DEs are running the camp.  Thank you very much, Frank, for helping out too.  If any of you go up to Camp Pupukea tonight, they're having a luau at 6:00 p.m.  That's a lot of motivation, huh?  I'm still in school getting my class ready for school next week.  Shucks!

                Please respond to Kaala_BSA_Commissioners@yahoogroups.com

                Sent by:        Kaala_BSA_Commissioners@yahoogroups.com

                To:        <Kaala_BSA_Commissioners@yahoogroups.com>
                cc:         (bcc: Myrna Daguio/MILUKA/HIDOE)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006
                  So how has the last week of camp been going? I'm writing this at
                  the hotel in San Antonio, after 4 days in Corpus Christi. Had some
                  moderate thunder showers down on the Gulf Coast 2 days ago, but
                  otherwise....typical south Texas summer - HOT!!!! mid 80's to mid
                  90's and LOTS of humidity to go around. San Antonio is a little
                  less humid, but also hotter. Be back tomorrow afternoon or evening
                  (afternoon if I can change my flight, since we finished early today
                  at Corpus and I drove up this afternoon, instead of waiting to drive
                  up tomorrow morning).

                  I understand that there is a Council Key 3 golf tournament next week
                  also, in lieu of (or in conjunction with???) the monthly Key 3
                  meeting. Guess I will sort it all out tomorrow night and Saturday
                  morning.

                  And.....THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HELPED OUT AT SUMMER CAMP!!!!!

                  Barry

                  --- In Kaala_BSA_Commissioners@yahoogroups.com,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 27, 2006

                    Hi!  I loved San Antonio.  Visited the Alamo, rode the boat on the San Antonio River, went to the Indian museum, and ate the wonderful Tex-Mex food.  Brought home a bunch of those red, hot peppers too.  Hope you picked up some of their delicious salsa.  Watched the San Antonio Spurs game!  My favorite team.

                    Anyway, hope people could go up to Camp Pupukea this week.  I haven't been able to since I've been in school all week and the children report on Monday.  Have a safe trip back to the Islands!