Re: [Kaala_BSA_Commissioners] Camp Pupukea

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
      Just got back from Camp Pupukea and they really, really need help.  I got there on Sunday but they didn't need my help with check-in so I walked around camp to talk with the adult leaders about any equipment they needed or problems encountered.  Yes, there were more than a few complaints!  On Monday, Bruce, Joe Picon, and I were supposed to do the campsite inspections.  However, Bruce had to do some trouble shooting and Joe took the Hawaiiana group on a fieldtrip to the heiau and Waimea Valley Falls Park.  That left little ole me to handle campsite inspections.  Now I know the location of every Camp Pupukea campsite!  Took me all day to do this and I was so tired.  My ankles were swollen and sore.  Yesterday and today wasn't too bad though.  Liz and Joe assisted yesterday.  Today Carl Sakai and Lindsey Marzo helped, while Joe took the Scouts to snorkle down at Sharks Cove.  However, tomorrow and Friday leaves no one but Joe.  Saw Rupert Kealoha checking in as I was leaving and told him to play "commish" if he can get free of his troop.  So, if you can go up to Pupukea for a couple of hours tomorrow or Friday, I know they'll appreciate it.  Oh yes, I even assisted in the commissary packing and distributing the food.  There was only 1 teenage Scout doing this.

      I spoke to Bruce yesterday and he said that 12 Noon would be okay but, if you
      could make it by 11 AM, that would be better.  Apparently, they have a staff
      briefing and eat lunch together before opening registration.

      Also, for the other commissioners who are reading this, they could use
      additional help both tomorrow for check-in and during the week.  You do not
      need to stay overnight (although it would certainly not be discouraged if you
      could).  The biggest need is in the morning when they do campsite inspections.
      Bruce has had an assistant this week but he will not be there next week or
      during week 4.  Next week has the largest attendance of the summer.  There
      will be around 300 boys at camp so I would imagine that just about all the
      sites will be full.  Bruce Almeida will go over what needs to be done if you
      can make it up there.