Filipino Cultural Garden Program

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2006

      Please pass this information along to all of your units seeking a summer activity or cultural requirement.

              On Saturday, July 15th from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., the Pearl City Urban Garden will be dedicating a Filipino Garden.  This project is in conjunction with the Filipino Centennial Celebration.  The vegetable garden will feature traditional plants such as the talong (eggplant), paria (bittermelon), etc.  It'll be complete with a nipa (bamboo) hut.  There will be Filipino cooking demonstrations as well as songs and folk dances performed by the Filipino Women's League.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2006

        Am planning to be at Camp Pupukea on Sunday to assist.  Any of you know what time I should report?  I think the Scouts check-in time is 1:00 p.m.  Would 12:00 be early enough?
      • Frank Godek
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 2006
          Hi Myrna,

          You should probably check-in with Bruce Alameida. He is the Camp Commissioner
          that we are supporting. He is also running the Trading Post so that is often
          where you can find him. Also, his wife Debi is running Handicrafts.

          I am going up there in a few minutes so I will ask him if 12 Noon is a good
          time for you to get there.

          Frank

          On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 Myrna_Daguio/MILUKA/HIDOE@... wrote:

          > Am planning to be at Camp Pupukea on Sunday to assist. Any of you know
          > what time I should report? I think the Scouts check-in time is 1:00 p.m.
          > Would 12:00 be early enough?
        • Nupen Ohana
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14, 2006
            Myrna,

            check-in for troops is 1 pm, so it is best if you are up there NLT noon to get the
            'once over' about what you can help with,

            Barry (who just got off the plane from San Diego - yawn....)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14, 2006

              OKAY, THANKS FOR CHECKING ON THE TIME FOR ME.  Give me a call on my cell 271-9211.
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 2006

                Okay, thanks, Barry.  Will get to Camp Pupukea around 11:45ish on Sunday.
              • Frank Godek
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2006
                  Myrna,

                  I spoke to Bruce yesterday and he said that 12 Noon would be okay but, if you
                  could make it by 11 AM, that would be better. Apparently, they have a staff
                  briefing and eat lunch together before opening registration.

                  Also, for the other commissioners who are reading this, they could use
                  additional help both tomorrow for check-in and during the week. You do not
                  need to stay overnight (although it would certainly not be discouraged if you
                  could). The biggest need is in the morning when they do campsite inspections.
                  Bruce has had an assistant this week but he will not be there next week or
                  during week 4. Next week has the largest attendance of the summer. There
                  will be around 300 boys at camp so I would imagine that just about all the
                  sites will be full. Bruce Almeida will go over what needs to be done if you
                  can make it up there.

                  Frank

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 19, 2006
                    Just got back from Camp Pupukea and they really, really need help.  I got there on Sunday but they didn't need my help with check-in so I walked around camp to talk with the adult leaders about any equipment they needed or problems encountered.  Yes, there were more than a few complaints!  On Monday, Bruce, Joe Picon, and I were supposed to do the campsite inspections.  However, Bruce had to do some trouble shooting and Joe took the Hawaiiana group on a fieldtrip to the heiau and Waimea Valley Falls Park.  That left little ole me to handle campsite inspections.  Now I know the location of every Camp Pupukea campsite!  Took me all day to do this and I was so tired.  My ankles were swollen and sore.  Yesterday and today wasn't too bad though.  Liz and Joe assisted yesterday.  Today Carl Sakai and Lindsey Marzo helped, while Joe took the Scouts to snorkle down at Sharks Cove.  However, tomorrow and Friday leaves no one but Joe.  Saw Rupert Kealoha checking in as I was leaving and told him to play "commish" if he can get free of his troop.  So, if you can go up to Pupukea for a couple of hours tomorrow or Friday, I know they'll appreciate it.  Oh yes, I even assisted in the commissary packing and distributing the food.  There was only 1 teenage Scout doing this.

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/z6TolB/TM

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/