COMBINED KEY THREE MEETING AT DAMIEN

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
      COMBINED KEY THREE MEETING AT DAMIEN

      All Commissioners,

      Please plan to attend the Combined Meeting at Damien School on Tues at 6 PM.  This is a great time to fellowship, share ideas and  "best practices", have some great pupus, and learn some new things.

      Breakout sessions for the Commissioners and the various District committees provide a great forum for exchanging information.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Barry D. Nupen
      District Commissioner
      Aloha Council, Ka'ala District

      (H) 623-3538
      (C) 384-6620
      (W) 474-6965
      (W) FAX: 808-471-8601
      (H) nupen.ohana@...
      (W) barry.nupen@...

      Barry D. Nupen - COMPACFLT N330

      COMM: 808-474-6965  DSN: 315-474-6965
      FAX: 808-471-8601
      CELL: 808-384-6620
      SIPERNET: barry.nupen@...
      NIPERNET: barry.nupen@...

    • Frank Godek
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
        COMBINED KEY THREE MEETING AT DAMIEN
        Also, I believe that this time they are doing a holiday fellowship from 6:00 to 6:30 PM and they have requested that everyone bring their favorite holiday snack to enjoy.

        Frank

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2006

          Turns out that I got my dates mixed up so I'll be at Friday's meeting after all.  I might be a little late though because we're having a family dinner with my nephew who's returning to Simi Valley.  Dinner is at 6:00 p.m. so I should be able to slip away after 7:00 p.m.  Well, this means that I'll actually miss tomorrow night's Roundtable.  Aw, shucks!  In case I'm really late to Friday's meeting, here's my brief report:
                  Pack 144        Continues with their den and pack meetings at St. John's Church in Mililani.
                                  They bought their pinewood derby car kits but are wondering how they can race without a track.
                                          Is Ka'ala District having a combined race again, like last year?
                                          If not, anyone know whose track they can use?
                                  Pack attended Scout Sunday at St. John's Church.
                                          They set-up a photo display with Cub Scout applications.
                                  Their Blue and Gold potluck is on Friday, February 17th.
                                  They're planning a car wash for Saturday, March 18th.

                  Troop 144        Held a successful Readyman Clinic for Webelos Scouts on Sunday, January 22nd at the Mililani District                         Park's Meeting Room.
                                          Boys shared their first aid skills with confidence to the Webelos Scouts.
                                          Fifteen (15) Webelos Scouts from Packs 183, 364, 564, 864.
                                          Webelos earned their Readyman pins.
                                  Attended Scout Sunday and brought up the offeratory during Mass.
                                  They were visited by Webelos Scouts from Pack 364.
                                  Their boys are advancing in rank, especially their 3 new transfer Scouts.
                                  They have a couple of campouts planned to Ho'omaluhia Garden and Camp Timberline.

                  Pack 326        Had a recruitment meeting and signed up 2 Cub Scouts.
                                  Received a $100 check from the Knights of Columbus to purchase their pack flag.
                                          Cost of everything for the pack flag is $254.
                                          Deposited the $100 check from the Knights into their Council account.
                                          Total of $236 in their account so they can't get their flag yet.
                                  Handed out their pinewood derby kits at their last den meeting.
                                  Their Blue and Gold potluck dinner is on Thursday, February 16th.
                                          They made blue/gold tambourines to help them sing a song.
                                          Rehearsed a blue/gold cheer to be done that night.

          Would like to "feel the water" for a possible Troop 326 at Our Lady of Good Counsel.  About 6 Webelos from Pack 326 transferred into a troop last year and I just found out that all of them quit.  Parents of these boys are interested in starting a troop.  We may be able to tap into the 7th and 8th grade at the church's school too.  With the enthusiasm in Pack 326 now, I'm sure the establishment of a troop will keep these younger boys in the Scouting program.

          Okay, hope I get to Friday's meeting!  C-ya!
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2006
            Thanks, Myrna.  Hope to see you on Friday, even though you will miss RT.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006

              My husband, Bob, is down with the flu so we're not going to the Waialua Lions Club Charter dinner tonight.  Depending on how he's feeling tonight, I just may make it to Roundtable tonight.  C-ya!  =;>)
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2006

                Okay, so where were you folks hiding on Friday night?  I got there around 7:15 p.m. and there was a dinner going on in the large area.  When I looked in our regular meeting room, another group was in there.  I checked the other rooms, including the ones upstairs.  Tried calling Liz on her cell phone and waited around.  Well, I did try to make the meeting!  I'm glad I emailed my report.  But I did want to bring up the Wellness Fair on Saturday, Feb. 25th and the problem of smaller units not having a track to race on.  Were these issues discussed?  If not, I hope the Key Three can come up with solutions.  If you need my help, call me on my cell at 271-9211.  Mahalo!
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2006
                  We were in the other building.  We told the people in the other room to tell those who were wandering to go to the other building.  Sorry about that.....and thanks for sending your report in too.

                  How about if you write up a summary about the Wellness fair, and we can send it out on yahoo group so all know.  Ask for help also.

                  Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:31 PM
                  Subject: Re: [Kaala_BSA_Commissioners] Friday's mtg

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006

                    I was looking for a flier on Wellness Fair at Roundtable.  Guess the units don't know about it since no announcement was made about it either.  Today's already February 13th.  So at this late date, unless someone steps up to coordinate this membership function, perhaps we'd better scratch it.

                    What about pinewood derby?  The smaller units are already working on their cars.  Next year, I'll tell them not to do the cars unless this problem of a race track is resolved.  How can a small unit with 7 - 9 boys afford a track?  One pack can't even purchase their pack flag.  I also feel for Pack 364, with a racing track.  They've hosted the smaller units for a couple of years already and it does take a lot of time, plus manpower.  I don't blame them for not opening up to all the units.  Perhaps all the small units should get a race track together.  Food for thought for next year.  What about this year?  I know the boys will be so disappointed if they can't race.
                    Sorry, I know I sound negative and I hated missing Friday's meeting when I made a special effort to be there just to bring up my concerns.  Am I the only active unit commissioner working with small packs?  Doesn't sound like the other units have this problem.  I feel like Don Quixote fighting the windmill!  =;>p
                  • Elizabeth Baldwin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006

                      Hi Myrna!

                      Sorry about the confusion about last Friday’s meeting!  I had my cell phone off during the meeting.  We met in the building across the parking lot, and the people at the other building were supposed to direct scouts to where we were!  Sorry!

                      I had made up a flier at Roundtable about the Wellness Fair, and I do remember Keri making an announcement about it, but I do not believe she mentioned that we needed units to sign up for it.  Seeing that all the fliers I brought were taken (I brought about 30) then I am assuming that some of the units saw them.  I did put Frank’s contacts down as a point of reference for setting up a booth.  I will talk with him tomorrow and see if anyone has contacted him yet.

                      The pinewood derby issue was discussed during the commissioner’s meeting.  I have been approached by a couple of other units who have the same problem also…so I guess you’re not fighting the windmill alone!  (And I happen to be a huge believer in “Dreaming the Impossible Dream”…it’s the only way things get better!) Barry is going to talk with Pack 364 to see what is really going on there.  I am going to make sure that every pack gets to race somehow; this is the HIGHLIGHT of the year for the boys!  It’s what we promised all of them during recruitments, and we need to deliver on that promise…not to mention make sure they don’t miss out on the fun!

                      Mac has said that he will see if we could possibly have a day or something where the packs can come up and use the track the Mililani Stake has.  They are also getting a new track next year, and is going to see if they can donate the old one to a pack…it is pretty old and would need some work, but it’s better than not having one!  The issue has been brought up, and several people are working to see what can be done!

                      Thank you so much for always looking out for all the boys!

                      Liz Baldwin

                      District Executive

                      ebaldwin@...

                      595-6366 ext. 228