Music in pdf files

  • Donald F. Harrington
    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2008
      I have some experience with creating pdf files of music, including the
      4 years I've done KW Choir at Estrella. If you have some raw scans, I
      can create multiple page files for you. I own the full Adobe software.

      Don Harrington
      Lazarus Artifex
    • Ysolt la Bretonne
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2008
        Check www.cpdl.org for scores. No need to reinvent the wheel or PDFs either.
        Also cipoo.net has things, including MIDIs, sometimes.

        Ysolt

        --
        MaƮtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
        Barony of Windmasters' Hill
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2008
          Greetings from the West Kingdom. :-)

          There is a FREE software utility called PrimoPDF * which can be be used
          to make PDF files from just about any software that produces printed
          output. It installs as a printer on your computer, and you then create
          a PDF file simply by telling your application to print a score (or
          whatever), and choosing PrimoPDF as your "printer". It's ridiculously
          easy, actually. I make a lot of scores for the West Kingdom Choir using
          Noteworthy Composer, and have been using PrimoPDF for a couple of years
          now to output them as PDF files. It has been a terrific boon, and is
          much faster and cleaner than making PDF files from scans.

          The only possible drawback is that I believe PDF files created by this
          utility cannot then be edited directly by other users (I don't have
          Acrobat, so I can't really test this). The up side is that the files
          are often smaller than ones produced by Acrobat.

          PrimoPDF can be downloaded at http://www.primopdf.com/ .

          Now I suppose I should introduce myself, since it doesn't look like I'll
          be making it to Pennsic any time soon to do it in person. I am John
          Rossignol from the Shire of Crosston in the Kingdom of the West
          (mundanely in the San Jose area of California). I sing tenor or bass
          (depending) in the West Kingdom Choir, and have served as bard of the
          Barony of Darkwood. I also started up a choir for that barony about
          three years ago, but it eventually petered out due to rising gas prices
          and attacks of Life on most of us. (Judging from some other posts on
          this list, that seems to be a fairly common experience with small SCA
          choirs.) I have been studying the composition of 16th-century-style
          polyphony, and have been fortunate to have a few of my pieces performed
          at events by the West Kingdom Choir.

          Anyway, I have found PrimoPDF to be immensely useful, and since the
          topic came up on this list I thought I would share the info with you. I
          hope it proves useful to some of you as well..

          Take care,
          John

          * For MS Windows. Just for the record, I have no association with the
          company which produces this software, except as a happy user.

          --
          Ceterum censeo, Carthago delanda est.
        • Elizabeth Dowling
          Message 4 of 7 , May 22, 2008
            Bass/Tenor... Can we kidnap him? (Just kidding, of course. Can't
            afford the fuel required.)
            Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2008
              Well, of course what that really means is that I'm a baritone: I can't
              sing the really low bass notes, and I can't sing the really high tenor
              notes -- at least not gracefully. Being able to hit a note is,
              unfortunately, not necessarily the same thing as being able to sing it.
              So I sing either tenor or bass depending mostly on the range of the
              piece and how desperate we are. ;-) Hooray for the few pieces like
              Byrd's "Miserere" which actually have baritone parts.

              John

              --

              Elizabeth Dowling wrote:
              > Bass/Tenor... Can we kidnap him? (Just kidding, of course. Can't
              > afford the fuel required.)
              > Elizabeth
              >
              > John Rossignol wrote:
              >
              >> Greetings from the West Kingdom. :-)
              >> ...snip...
              >> I am John
              >> Rossignol from the Shire of Crosston in the Kingdom of the West
              >> (mundanely in the San Jose area of California). I sing tenor or bass
              >> (depending) in the West Kingdom Choir,

            • Kathleen Madsen
              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2008
                He'd be worth it!

                Hi, John!  *waving*  Send my hello's to Cassandra too!

                Eibhlin

                Message 7 of 7 , May 25, 2008
                  Why, hello, dear lady! :-) It's so nice to hear from you. Hugs to
                  you, and say hi to Timothy for me. I hope you are both thriving in your
                  new home, but we miss you out here in the West.

                  John