Re: [KWChoir] Pennsic Choir Questions

  • June Whalen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2008
      Dau Duit a Ehilionoria!

      My name is Meitheamh.  Like you I am somewhat new-ish to the SCA.
      I have attended Pennsic 36, and will be camping in Disabilities Camp for this Pennsic.
      I will try to answer as best I can - but know that until the official schedule is completed - this is always subject to change.

      Choir generally practices from 4pm to 6pm.
      It begins on the Friday of the 1st week (or whenever you arrive) - 1 August
      Practices and the Concert are in the Performing Arts Pavillion
      Dress Rehersal is usually 1pm to 4 pm on Thursday 7 August
      Performance would then be 6 to 7 pm on Thursday 7 August
      I am unaware of any minimal attendance - but remember to blend and have to proper dynamics of a piece requires attendance.  Our practices have been enjoyable - but also very business like with little monkey-business.

      I actually worked out a daily schedule blocking the practice time from other activities.

      The experience is well worth the effort.

      Am looking forward to meeting you at War.

      Lady Meitheamh O'Faolain
      Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom

      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2008
        Greetings Eilionora,
        Rehearsals are usually from 4 to 6 P.M., although sometimes there may be
        other times. It depends on the year. Some years have started
        rehearsals earlier in the first week, but did not expect to see the
        whole group until the beginning of the second week. (If music is
        difficult, this is helpful, because a small group throughout the choir
        will already know their parts.) I encourage people to participate, even
        if they don't think they sing or read music well. If you sing the
        notes, blend, watch the conductor, watch out for dynamics, that is good
        enough. Sometimes music is available before Pennsic (keep watching this
        list), but not always. If the music is available, practice your part if
        you can. Whether or not you have seen the music beforehand, if you need
        to miss a rehearsal or two for some other scheduled activity that you
        were planning to go to, then it is O.K., but then just try very hard to
        make up for lost time. One year I had to miss two in the second week,
        because I had to teach at the same time, but I had learned the music.
        Sometimes there are "sectionals" for each part; the whole group usually
        meets at the Performance Pavillion (in the A&S area), and then the
        sections walk to wherever they will meet. One or two encampments
        arrange their own sectionals; extra rehearsals are not required, but
        some people like to go over difficult sections. The music this year may
        not be so difficult that such rehearsals would be necessary. This has
        been my experience in the past; I hope it is helpful, and barring any
        difficulties I hope to see you at Pennsic 37.
        Lady Elizabeth

        eilionora wrote:

        > Greetings everyone!
        >
        > My name is Eilionóra, and I'm a new-ish member of the SCA. I'm going
        > to be at Pennsic for the first time this year, and I have a few
        > questions about the choir that I hope someone can answer:
        >
        > 1) During which week and on what day do rehearsals begin?
        > 2) What time are rehearsals (I think they have typically been from 4-6pm)?
        > 3) How many rehearsals are we required to attend in order to
        > participate in the final concert?
        >
        > Thanks, and I am looking forward to meeting all you fellow musicians at
        > Pennsic! :)

      • eilionora
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2008
          Lady Meitheamh and Lady Elizabeth,

          Thank you for your informative responses! I have a pretty solid
          choral background and I definitely plan on learning and practicing the
          music before coming to Pennsic. I can't wait to sing with the two of you!

          See you in August!

          Cheers,
          Eilionóra