Pennsic Choir Questions

  • eilionora
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2008
      Greetings everyone!

      My name is Eilionóra, and I'm a new-ish member of the SCA. I'm going
      to be at Pennsic for the first time this year, and I have a few
      questions about the choir that I hope someone can answer:

      1) During which week and on what day do rehearsals begin?
      2) What time are rehearsals (I think they have typically been from 4-6pm)?
      3) How many rehearsals are we required to attend in order to
      participate in the final concert?

      Thanks, and I am looking forward to meeting all you fellow musicians at
      Pennsic! :)
    • June Whalen
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2008
        Dau Duit a Ehilionoria!

        My name is Meitheamh.  Like you I am somewhat new-ish to the SCA.
        I have attended Pennsic 36, and will be camping in Disabilities Camp for this Pennsic.
        I will try to answer as best I can - but know that until the official schedule is completed - this is always subject to change.

        Choir generally practices from 4pm to 6pm.
        It begins on the Friday of the 1st week (or whenever you arrive) - 1 August
        Practices and the Concert are in the Performing Arts Pavillion
        Dress Rehersal is usually 1pm to 4 pm on Thursday 7 August
        Performance would then be 6 to 7 pm on Thursday 7 August
        I am unaware of any minimal attendance - but remember to blend and have to proper dynamics of a piece requires attendance.  Our practices have been enjoyable - but also very business like with little monkey-business.

        I actually worked out a daily schedule blocking the practice time from other activities.

        The experience is well worth the effort.

        Am looking forward to meeting you at War.

        Lady Meitheamh O'Faolain
        Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom

        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2008
          Greetings Eilionora,
          Rehearsals are usually from 4 to 6 P.M., although sometimes there may be
          other times. It depends on the year. Some years have started
          rehearsals earlier in the first week, but did not expect to see the
          whole group until the beginning of the second week. (If music is
          difficult, this is helpful, because a small group throughout the choir
          will already know their parts.) I encourage people to participate, even
          if they don't think they sing or read music well. If you sing the
          notes, blend, watch the conductor, watch out for dynamics, that is good
          enough. Sometimes music is available before Pennsic (keep watching this
          list), but not always. If the music is available, practice your part if
          you can. Whether or not you have seen the music beforehand, if you need
          to miss a rehearsal or two for some other scheduled activity that you
          were planning to go to, then it is O.K., but then just try very hard to
          make up for lost time. One year I had to miss two in the second week,
          because I had to teach at the same time, but I had learned the music.
          Sometimes there are "sectionals" for each part; the whole group usually
          meets at the Performance Pavillion (in the A&S area), and then the
          sections walk to wherever they will meet. One or two encampments
          arrange their own sectionals; extra rehearsals are not required, but
          some people like to go over difficult sections. The music this year may
          not be so difficult that such rehearsals would be necessary. This has
          been my experience in the past; I hope it is helpful, and barring any
          difficulties I hope to see you at Pennsic 37.
          Lady Elizabeth

          eilionora wrote:

          > Greetings everyone!
          >
          > My name is Eilionóra, and I'm a new-ish member of the SCA. I'm going
          > to be at Pennsic for the first time this year, and I have a few
          > questions about the choir that I hope someone can answer:
          >
          > 1) During which week and on what day do rehearsals begin?
          > 2) What time are rehearsals (I think they have typically been from 4-6pm)?
          > 3) How many rehearsals are we required to attend in order to
          > participate in the final concert?
          >
          > Thanks, and I am looking forward to meeting all you fellow musicians at
          > Pennsic! :)

        • eilionora
          Message 4 of 4 , May 19, 2008
            Lady Meitheamh and Lady Elizabeth,

            Thank you for your informative responses! I have a pretty solid
            choral background and I definitely plan on learning and practicing the
            music before coming to Pennsic. I can't wait to sing with the two of you!

            See you in August!

            Cheers,
            Eilionóra