Re: [KWChoir] Re: Pennsic Music

  • Claudia Willsea
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28, 2008
      Dear Erlan:  I like the suggestions made by Arianna M.  However, please do add some of the Rossi.  I think Jewish music is very moving and would be appreciated by all.  I have not sung with the chorus since 2006, so I am very much looking forward to returning to Pennsic and the choir!  Yours Truly,  Lady Claudia

      "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:
      Hi Erlan:
      I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the audience.... in short...too much of one style.
      I like your Christmas in August idea much better.  There are plenty of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program.  If you would like to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.
      We're looking forward to your decision.
      Cheers!
      Arianna M.

      -- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Good idea Diane,
      I am actually torn between 2 programs. Since I
      haven't directed in a while and I volunteered to do it
      again this year... I'm sitting on 2 concerts... almost
      ready to decide, but maybe it would be a good idea to
      get some feed back.
      Music of Salmone Rossi or Christmas in August.
      The music of Rossi is really well done Italian
      Renaissance madrigals and motets. It's unlikly that
      people have done his music in casual local singing,
      it's not been that popular. Over the last 10 years or
      so, it's becomming more wide spread.
      Christmas in August is just that.. holiday themed
      music consisting of larger works not usually done in
      small local groups. 6 part Ave Maria (Josquin) for
      example.
      The down side is men. Doing a program with more
      diverse parts always means, well, you need folks to
      sing them. At least with this program, much of the
      music can be arranged into 3 part treble so that it
      can stand on it's own with just female voices.

      So, perhaps some feedback from the folks who'll be
      singing..... .would be nice.

      erlan

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____
      Click to find out what your future holds.

    • starblazingqueen
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2008
        Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
        Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
        does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
        more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
        experience a wider range of music.

        But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
        I am the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too type!)

        Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale
      • Susan Stoltze
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2008
          OK, usually I'm lurking, but for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Christmas music unless it's between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day on the caledar.

          Can't wait to find out what you have in store for us.

          - Susanna

          starblazingqueen <starblazingqueen@...> wrote:
          Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
          Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
          does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
          more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
          experience a wider range of music.

          But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
          I am the have-your-cake- and-eat-it- too type!)

          Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale

        • mary-florence
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2008
            Greetings one and all!
            This year will be my first Pennsic and I have been deliberating with
            myself about whether or not to join the choir. Well, the scales are
            weighing more heavily on the 'Yay' side than the 'Nay'. I became
            really tweaked when the thought of Christmas music was presented. It
            occured to me that if humour is allowed, I do a spoof on the '12 Days
            After Christmas' for which I don the horned Viking hat with the
            pigtails, as well as the pointy boustierre (sp?). I throw that out fcr
            your consideration.
            Marihannah LeMoyne of Butterfield
            Canton of Caer Draeth
            Barony of Septentria