Re: Pennsic Music

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
      I'm not familiar with Rossi's music (so I googled & sampled) and am
      looking forward to learning something new, but I agree with Arianna
      and think that there is more diversity in a Xmas program, with a few
      of Rossi's pieces added to the mix.

      YIS, Celaena

      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:

      > Hi Erlan:
      > I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be
      as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the
      audience....in short...too much of one style.
      > I like your Christmas in August idea much better. There are plenty
      of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program. If you would like
      to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden
      the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.
      > We're looking forward to your decision.
      > Cheers!
      > Arianna M.

    • Claudia Willsea
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28, 2008
        Dear Erlan:  I like the suggestions made by Arianna M.  However, please do add some of the Rossi.  I think Jewish music is very moving and would be appreciated by all.  I have not sung with the chorus since 2006, so I am very much looking forward to returning to Pennsic and the choir!  Yours Truly,  Lady Claudia

        "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:
        Hi Erlan:
        I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the audience.... in short...too much of one style.
        I like your Christmas in August idea much better.  There are plenty of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program.  If you would like to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.
        We're looking forward to your decision.
        Cheers!
        Arianna M.

        -- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        Good idea Diane,
        I am actually torn between 2 programs. Since I
        haven't directed in a while and I volunteered to do it
        again this year... I'm sitting on 2 concerts... almost
        ready to decide, but maybe it would be a good idea to
        get some feed back.
        Music of Salmone Rossi or Christmas in August.
        The music of Rossi is really well done Italian
        Renaissance madrigals and motets. It's unlikly that
        people have done his music in casual local singing,
        it's not been that popular. Over the last 10 years or
        so, it's becomming more wide spread.
        Christmas in August is just that.. holiday themed
        music consisting of larger works not usually done in
        small local groups. 6 part Ave Maria (Josquin) for
        example.
        The down side is men. Doing a program with more
        diverse parts always means, well, you need folks to
        sing them. At least with this program, much of the
        music can be arranged into 3 part treble so that it
        can stand on it's own with just female voices.

        So, perhaps some feedback from the folks who'll be
        singing..... .would be nice.

        erlan

        Be a better friend, newshound, and

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____
        Click to find out what your future holds.

      • starblazingqueen
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2008
          Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
          Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
          does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
          more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
          experience a wider range of music.

          But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
          I am the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too type!)

          Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale
        • Susan Stoltze
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2008
            OK, usually I'm lurking, but for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Christmas music unless it's between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day on the caledar.

            Can't wait to find out what you have in store for us.

            - Susanna

            starblazingqueen <starblazingqueen@...> wrote:
            Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
            Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
            does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
            more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
            experience a wider range of music.

            But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
            I am the have-your-cake- and-eat-it- too type!)

            Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale

          • mary-florence
            Message 5 of 11 , May 19, 2008
              Greetings one and all!
              This year will be my first Pennsic and I have been deliberating with
              myself about whether or not to join the choir. Well, the scales are
              weighing more heavily on the 'Yay' side than the 'Nay'. I became
              really tweaked when the thought of Christmas music was presented. It
              occured to me that if humour is allowed, I do a spoof on the '12 Days
              After Christmas' for which I don the horned Viking hat with the
              pigtails, as well as the pointy boustierre (sp?). I throw that out fcr
              your consideration.
              Marihannah LeMoyne of Butterfield
              Canton of Caer Draeth
              Barony of Septentria