Re: [KWChoir] Re: Pennsic Music

  • Elizabeth Dowling
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
      Hmmm... since I think I'll actually make it to Pennsic this year
      (really missing it last year), my vote is not for Christmas in
      July/August, but something new. As we've seen with Josquin, one
      composer could have many different and lively moods. And it's fun to
      see something new. In my local group, I can't seem to get people to do
      much more than Christmas, which means that I've had my fill of Christmas
      this year. (But I'll sing anything, and won't mind buying some more
      music, even if it is Christmas :) As far as getting an audience, that
      might have something to do with publicity, or else singing at other
      occasions such as courts (although many people are too busy to do that).

      I also have a terrible time locally with recruiting men. I don't like
      art as competition myself, but it seems that if they won't get a War
      Point or Award, very few will sustain their involvement. But, I've also
      become more realistic; locally it's hard to do four parts if the parts
      can't be filled; I prefer to do lively pieces with fewer parts.

      The Pennsic Choir does have enough people to do four or five parts, but
      there are limitations (finding parts in peoples' vocal ranges). Some
      people need to hear their part (midi or other recording) for several
      weeks so that they are not thrown off by the other parts. Many people
      can do difficult parts if they have time to hear and learn them.

      I really hope that I don't have any more snafus this year, and that I'll
      see everybody at Pennsic. I'm looking forward to singing whatever is
      chosen.
      Lady Elizabeth of Gwyntarian (soprano)

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
        FWIW, my choir has sung three of Rossi's sacred pieces over the years. They are fun (imagine a Lutheran hymn crossed with Klezmer... I know it's hard, but try), but at least the ones I have seen have a certain sameness that might lead to a rather repetitive concert. I don't know if there are any secular Rossi pieces, but if so, they might provide some variety.

        Just my two cents which you can ignore, as I probably will not have time to sing with the choir this year.

      • Diane
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
          I'm not familiar with Rossi's music (so I googled & sampled) and am
          looking forward to learning something new, but I agree with Arianna
          and think that there is more diversity in a Xmas program, with a few
          of Rossi's pieces added to the mix.

          YIS, Celaena

          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:

          > Hi Erlan:
          > I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be
          as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the
          audience....in short...too much of one style.
          > I like your Christmas in August idea much better. There are plenty
          of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program. If you would like
          to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden
          the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.
          > We're looking forward to your decision.
          > Cheers!
          > Arianna M.

        • Claudia Willsea
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2008
            Dear Erlan:  I like the suggestions made by Arianna M.  However, please do add some of the Rossi.  I think Jewish music is very moving and would be appreciated by all.  I have not sung with the chorus since 2006, so I am very much looking forward to returning to Pennsic and the choir!  Yours Truly,  Lady Claudia

            -- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____
            Click to find out what your future holds.

          • starblazingqueen
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2008
              Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
              Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
              does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
              more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
              experience a wider range of music.

              But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
              I am the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too type!)

              Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale
            • Susan Stoltze
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                OK, usually I'm lurking, but for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Christmas music unless it's between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day on the caledar.

                Can't wait to find out what you have in store for us.

                - Susanna

                starblazingqueen <starblazingqueen@...> wrote:
                Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
                Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
                does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
                more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
                experience a wider range of music.

                But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
                I am the have-your-cake- and-eat-it- too type!)

                Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale

              • mary-florence
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                  Greetings one and all!
                  This year will be my first Pennsic and I have been deliberating with
                  myself about whether or not to join the choir. Well, the scales are
                  weighing more heavily on the 'Yay' side than the 'Nay'. I became
                  really tweaked when the thought of Christmas music was presented. It
                  occured to me that if humour is allowed, I do a spoof on the '12 Days
                  After Christmas' for which I don the horned Viking hat with the
                  pigtails, as well as the pointy boustierre (sp?). I throw that out fcr
                  your consideration.
                  Marihannah LeMoyne of Butterfield
                  Canton of Caer Draeth
                  Barony of Septentria