an invitation to the EK Southern Region

  • ladysvea
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
      Greetings to the List!
      Barren Sands is thinking music this month. We are having an
      organizational meeting for Shire members who sing at an A&S Commons
      on the 25th, but anyone who is likely to be in the Atlantic City area
      that weekend (it is NOT the SUper Bowl) is welcome to join us. Let
      me know and I'll send directions.
      So, Erlan, what shall we sing? I have a few ideas and have the music
      from the last few Pennsics, but we are open to suggestions. From
      anyone. Just jump right in. I thought we might start with simple
      unison, work up to rounds, go to duets, build up to three parts, see
      if we have a variety of voices, or just tenors and baritones. Yeah,
      yeah, I know I'm supposed to sing alto, but sometimes there are HIGH
      notes in alto parts.
      Svea
    • erlannordenskald
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2004
        Hello to the List. First - might I say that I can't believe that
        there are now 17 members to the list and it is not quite 24 hours
        old. WOW. That's what I say. I really hope that this is a service
        to people and that I can really make the Known World Choir really
        grow through out the Known World.

        Ok, Svea......now, let's look at this......the 25th is a
        Sunday........where are you meeting?? what time?? how long will you
        be devoting to the singing portion.... ?/ \
        that will help determine what tunes to do.

        You could post directions to the commons meeting in the files
        section on this list. It's only available to members so you won't
        have a problem with it being open to "anyone" and when the meeting
        is over, you can delete the file (or I will) OR you can leave it up
        there in case it will be a site that might be used again in the
        future.

        Now, there are a lot of fun things to sing, certainly some rounds are
        great to start with, you only have to teach ONE part and then you can
        break them into how ever many entrances, you have people for.

        Despite the fact that there are 2 lines, that is probably the
        toughest music to sing only because unless it's organum, or tight
        thirds with female voices, 2 lines, usually means duet and that means
        2 melodys and that is always tough for choral singers to read. There
        ins't a full harmonic feel and notes oftn get "fished" for. Not that
        there aren't some really great 2 part tunes out there, but in Erlan
        Opinion, for a sing in, 2 part pieces dont' quite make it.

        Now, there are a bunch of nifty 3 part madrigals out there, and if
        you're short on men..........the bottom part isn't quite bass and not
        quite tenor, it's MALE and that is good.

        Of course there are some 4 -5 part pieces that are just amazing, for
        Madrigals you might want to pull out the Robert Jones pieces that we
        did at Pennsic 3 years ago, they were fun. And of course I have a
        STACK of tunes that I'd be happy to send off to you if you'd like.
        There are a few Josquin pieces that are fun, Scaramella, El Grillo
        and of course, the Ave Maria.

        If you really want to have some fun, there is always the Phyllis
        music, "Amyntis with his Phyllis Fair", "her lies my wife, poor
        Phyllis" (and it's a round) "Fair Phyllis" and there are a few
        others. I happen to have a collection of Phyllis pieces....... (evil
        grin)

        Gee, I was looking in my calendar......that weekend seems to be
        free........hhmmm.........Barren Sands isn't THAT far
        down.............well, it's a thought.........I'd love to come and
        sing.........who is doing the conducting/directing/leading/stuff?

        This also brings me to my EKCHoral idea.....you know that I've been
        trying to start an East Kingdom Choral group, somethign along the
        lines of the KWC, but only in the East Kingdom. It would be a choir
        that would concentrate on pieces for Court/Events and that would have
        one rehearsal together the morning of an event and poof, a concert.
        Local branches would rehearse music as they need to and then we get
        together to rehearse and then perform it. well, it's just an idea in
        the working stages.

        Anyway...........i've written too much tonight......time to sleep

        erlan
      • erlannordenskald
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2004
          Hey Svea..........

          tell us more about your Southern Region gig on the 25th. What are
          the plans. I was thinking of driving down to sing with ya'all if i'm
          not snowed out and it's not too bad weather......maybe I could drag
          another voice or 2.....maybe drag Siobhan up from Iron
          Bog........could be fun. SO, what'cha planning.....more details
          please.........
          Erlan

        • ladysvea@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2004
            This is sort of an organizational meeting (planning to plan?) at a Shire A&S commons....see who we've got, what they know, what music is already out there in the Shire..it isn't really a Southern Regional thing, just that we are at the southern end of the Southern Region, so why not invite neighbors?  I saw Siobhan at an event last weekend and she is already booked for Sunday and can't make it.
            William, Gilbert and I have all sung in the Pennsic Choir and sing in a local church choir.  Michel has a nice tenor, but learns only by rote. Michael is also a tenor but is working Sunday until at least 4:00.  Maggie and Becky are teenagers whose respective parents point out that they can sing.  I don't know who else sings.  That's what we want to find out.  Nobody teaches music or directs as far as I know. Several of us play various instruments.  We have good intentions but no expertise.
            We will probably start with a couple of filksongs, move on to rounds and some familiar Tudor songs (Greensleeves, Past Time with Good Company, etc.)  If that is going well, we may try something more ambitious:  Blow Thy Horn, Hunter; Agincourt carol; We Be Soldiers Three... possibly familiar, not too hard.  We'll see.  I am putting together a tentative list.
            So far the only definites are:  It is at Genevieve's at 2:00 on Sunday.  She making Scotch eggs.  We're gonna sing.
            Directions:  take the Parkway south to the rte. 30 exit toward A.C.  In downtown Absecon, you want to make a left on Shore Road, between the Black Cat and the Hi-Point (navigation by tavern) but it is forbidden, so go down to the jughandle by Home Depot if you miss the first jughandle and come back.  Turn right between the two bars and go five or so (depends on which side of the street you are counting) short blocks to Faunce Landing Rd.  Turn right.  First house on right (arched carport) is number 9.

            "erlannordenskald" <erlannordenskald@...> wrote:

            >Hey Svea..........
            >
            >tell us more about your Southern Region gig on the 25th.  What are
            >the plans.  I was thinking of driving down to sing with ya'all if i'm
            >not snowed out and it's not too bad weather......maybe I could drag
            >another voice or 2.....maybe drag Siobhan up from Iron
            >Bog........could be fun.   SO, what'cha planning.....more details
            >please.........
            >Erlan
            >

            >--- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "ladysvea" <ladysvea@n...> wrote:
            >> Greetings to the List!
            >> Barren Sands is thinking music this month.  We are having an
            >> organizational meeting for Shire members who sing at an A&S Commons
            >> on the 25th, but anyone who is likely to be in the Atlantic City
            >area
            >> that weekend (it is NOT the SUper Bowl) is welcome to join us.  Let
            >> me know and I'll send directions.
            >> So, Erlan, what shall we sing?  I have a few ideas and have the
            >music
            >> from the last few Pennsics, but we are open to suggestions. From
            >> anyone.  Just jump right in.  I thought we might start with simple
            >> unison, work up to rounds, go to duets, build up to three parts,
            >see
            >> if we have a variety of voices, or just tenors and baritones.
            >Yeah,
            >> yeah, I know I'm supposed to sing alto, but sometimes there are
            >HIGH
            >> notes in alto parts.
            >> Svea

            Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
          • Shivaun McGoff
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 26, 2004
              ladysvea@... wrote:
              > This is sort of an organizational meeting (planning to plan?) at a
              > Shire A&S commons....see who we've got, what they know, what music is
              > already out there in the Shire..it isn't really a Southern Regional
              > thing, just that we are at the southern end of the Southern Region,
              > so why not invite neighbors?

              How did things go?

              Siobhan
            • ladysvea@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2004
                Sunday was a day of doom, according to the weather reports, so the turnout was a little disappointing. However, we did establish that Gilbert and William and I (who have all sung in the Pennsic Choir) don't remember the music as well as we wish...that Maida and Genevieve, although willing, are inexperienced with medieval music...that Michael automatically sings the tenor line, unless someone next to him is stronging singing another familiar part... and it would be a lot easier if everyone got to the meeting at the same time. This was part of a broader A&S meeting, so we actually sang for only about 15 minutes, but everybody took music home to learn. Maida and Genevieve both want something they can learn to contribute to bardic circles and filksongs are fine with them. Gilbert, Michel and I are a bit more serious about the music and William is somewhere in between.
                We sang "Woad" and "When I Was A Mundane" to get us started. We looked over half a dozen or so other things I had pulled, including Isaac's "Innsbruk..." and Mike and I tried the treble and tenor on "Blow Thy Horn Hunter." William tried to sight read the bass on that, but without a handy instrument that can go that low, I wasn't much help to him.
                Gilbert is a better sight-reader, but he had gone home by then. All in all, we enjoyed it, but I have no idea if this is a flash in the pan or the start of something big.
                Svea
                Shivaun McGoff <ladysiobhan@...> wrote:

                >ladysvea@... wrote:
                >> This is sort of an organizational meeting (planning to plan?) at a
                >> Shire A&S commons....see who we've got, what they know, what music is
                >> already out there in the Shire..it isn't really a Southern Regional
                >> thing, just that we are at the southern end of the Southern Region,
                >> so why not invite neighbors?
                >
                >How did things go?
                >
                >Siobhan

                Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
              • Maria Daggett
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 27, 2004
                  Svea - it sounds like you guys had the right
                  idea......wish you couldhave sung for longer than 15
                  minutes though, but it's tough to all be there, no one
                  really knowing how to get it going and when you figure
                  that out, it doesnt' quite sound like you want it to.
                  Frustrating, but sometimes, fun, I know.

                  You know, as part of my Master Plan to start the E K
                  Chorale, it might be in your favor to let me send you
                  a few pieces with parts played out for you. You can
                  then try and listen and sing, and hopefully, it will
                  turn in to something. It would sort of be like, me
                  being there for about 5 minutes, with out the bad
                  jokes.

                  But seriously, there are pieces that would be good to
                  sing, as beginner pieces. I am all for rounds. Every
                  one learns ONE part, then you all break out and singe
                  them.

                  Some Rounds can also be sung as bawdy songs, and
                  bardic style, so you learn one piece that you can
                  perform alone, or with others.

                  I know that I won't be attending all too many events
                  this year, since I've been out of work for the first
                  time in my life, .....and being a Music Teacher in a
                  State that is just killing off music, dance and art in
                  the public schools....so, I"m taking it a bit easy on
                  the traveling and event attending.
                  BUT, If there isn't a prediction of massive snow and
                  there is an organized gathering of people I will make
                  a trip to teach, rehearse and get people started......

                  Anyway, I"m going to be putting some rounds down and
                  in files ........and hopefully loading them up here on
                  this site.....

                  Stay warm and dry......

                  http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/