Re: [KWChoir] Re: Pennsic Music

  • chrissings@juno.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008

      Hi Erlan:

      I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the audience....in short...too much of one style.

      I like your Christmas in August idea much better.  There are plenty of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program.  If you would like to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.

      We're looking forward to your decision.

      Cheers!
      Arianna M.

      -- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@...> wrote:

      Good idea Diane,
      I am actually torn between 2 programs. Since I
      haven't directed in a while and I volunteered to do it
      again this year... I'm sitting on 2 concerts... almost
      ready to decide, but maybe it would be a good idea to
      get some feed back.
      Music of Salmone Rossi or Christmas in August.
      The music of Rossi is really well done Italian
      Renaissance madrigals and motets. It's unlikly that
      people have done his music in casual local singing,
      it's not been that popular. Over the last 10 years or
      so, it's becomming more wide spread.
      Christmas in August is just that.. holiday themed
      music consisting of larger works not usually done in
      small local groups. 6 part Ave Maria (Josquin) for
      example.
      The down side is men. Doing a program with more
      diverse parts always means, well, you need folks to
      sing them. At least with this program, much of the
      music can be arranged into 3 part treble so that it
      can stand on it's own with just female voices.

      So, perhaps some feedback from the folks who'll be
      singing..... .would be nice.

      erlan

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

      Click to find out what your future holds.
    • Terri Garvey
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
        I'd like to cast my vote for the Christmas in August.
        I love Christmas music, and maybe we can all feel
        cooler for a little while.

        Excited to join you again, whatever you decide.

        Yours in Service,
        Lady Tessa
        the Amnesiac Wandering Scavenger Merchant

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Elizabeth Dowling
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
          Hmmm... since I think I'll actually make it to Pennsic this year
          (really missing it last year), my vote is not for Christmas in
          July/August, but something new. As we've seen with Josquin, one
          composer could have many different and lively moods. And it's fun to
          see something new. In my local group, I can't seem to get people to do
          much more than Christmas, which means that I've had my fill of Christmas
          this year. (But I'll sing anything, and won't mind buying some more
          music, even if it is Christmas :) As far as getting an audience, that
          might have something to do with publicity, or else singing at other
          occasions such as courts (although many people are too busy to do that).

          I also have a terrible time locally with recruiting men. I don't like
          art as competition myself, but it seems that if they won't get a War
          Point or Award, very few will sustain their involvement. But, I've also
          become more realistic; locally it's hard to do four parts if the parts
          can't be filled; I prefer to do lively pieces with fewer parts.

          The Pennsic Choir does have enough people to do four or five parts, but
          there are limitations (finding parts in peoples' vocal ranges). Some
          people need to hear their part (midi or other recording) for several
          weeks so that they are not thrown off by the other parts. Many people
          can do difficult parts if they have time to hear and learn them.

          I really hope that I don't have any more snafus this year, and that I'll
          see everybody at Pennsic. I'm looking forward to singing whatever is
          chosen.
          Lady Elizabeth of Gwyntarian (soprano)

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
            FWIW, my choir has sung three of Rossi's sacred pieces over the years. They are fun (imagine a Lutheran hymn crossed with Klezmer... I know it's hard, but try), but at least the ones I have seen have a certain sameness that might lead to a rather repetitive concert. I don't know if there are any secular Rossi pieces, but if so, they might provide some variety.

            Just my two cents which you can ignore, as I probably will not have time to sing with the choir this year.

          • Diane
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
              I'm not familiar with Rossi's music (so I googled & sampled) and am
              looking forward to learning something new, but I agree with Arianna
              and think that there is more diversity in a Xmas program, with a few
              of Rossi's pieces added to the mix.

              YIS, Celaena

              --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:

              > Hi Erlan:
              > I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be
              as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the
              audience....in short...too much of one style.
              > I like your Christmas in August idea much better. There are plenty
              of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program. If you would like
              to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden
              the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.
              > We're looking forward to your decision.
              > Cheers!
              > Arianna M.

            • Claudia Willsea
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 28, 2008
                Dear Erlan:  I like the suggestions made by Arianna M.  However, please do add some of the Rossi.  I think Jewish music is very moving and would be appreciated by all.  I have not sung with the chorus since 2006, so I am very much looking forward to returning to Pennsic and the choir!  Yours Truly,  Lady Claudia

                -- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

                ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____
                Click to find out what your future holds.

              • starblazingqueen
                Message 7 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                  Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
                  Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
                  does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
                  more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
                  experience a wider range of music.

                  But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
                  I am the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too type!)

                  Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale
                • Susan Stoltze
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                    OK, usually I'm lurking, but for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Christmas music unless it's between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day on the caledar.

                    Can't wait to find out what you have in store for us.

                    - Susanna

                    starblazingqueen <starblazingqueen@...> wrote:
                    Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
                    Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
                    does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
                    more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
                    experience a wider range of music.

                    But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
                    I am the have-your-cake- and-eat-it- too type!)

                    Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale

                  • mary-florence
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                      Greetings one and all!
                      This year will be my first Pennsic and I have been deliberating with
                      myself about whether or not to join the choir. Well, the scales are
                      weighing more heavily on the 'Yay' side than the 'Nay'. I became
                      really tweaked when the thought of Christmas music was presented. It
                      occured to me that if humour is allowed, I do a spoof on the '12 Days
                      After Christmas' for which I don the horned Viking hat with the
                      pigtails, as well as the pointy boustierre (sp?). I throw that out fcr
                      your consideration.
                      Marihannah LeMoyne of Butterfield
                      Canton of Caer Draeth
                      Barony of Septentria