Re: [KWChoir] Re: Pennsic Music

  • Jennifer Friedman
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2008

      We did some Rossi in our small Baronial choir of 12-15 people a few years ago.  Most of the choir members haven't had much (if any) choir experience and we still did pretty well, even with just 2 men on each male part.  It helped to have a MIDI available online so people could practice their part.

      As a Jewish person and as an experienced choral singer, I loooooove Rossi and would vote for that.  It is slightly post-1600, but then, as far as I can tell, there was no Jewish choral music (liturgical or otherwise) during SCA period.  Rossi was doing something pretty darn new in setting Jewish liturgical texts *in Hebrew* to Italian Renaissance arrangements.

      For the same concert where we did the Rossi, I was able to find an interesting and bizarre little piece in classic Flemish 1500's motet style, on which scholars disagree whether it's a Jewish piece or a piece satirizing the Jews, called "Cados Cados".  There are arguments for both cases.  It's in gibberish and isn't difficult to learn.  I'd be happy to send you (Erlan) a copy, or a citation to where I found it.

      Looking forward to singing with you guys this summer!

      Eliane

      Eliane Halevy, OL
      Provost, Bardic Madness XVIII, April 25-27 2008, Phelps, WI
      Jennifer Friedman, 2010 Allen Blvd. #1, Middleton, WI 53562

      Quoth Erlan:

      I am actually torn between 2 programs. Since I
      haven't directed in a while and I volunteered to do it
      again this year... I'm sitting on 2 concerts... almost
      ready to decide, but maybe it would be a good idea to
      get some feed back.
      Music of Salmone Rossi or Christmas in August.
      The music of Rossi is really well done Italian
      Renaissance madrigals and motets. It's unlikly that
      people have done his music in casual local singing,
      it's not been that popular. Over the last 10 years or
      so, it's becomming more wide spread.
      Christmas in August is just that.. holiday themed
      music consisting of larger works not usually done in
      small local groups. 6 part Ave Maria (Josquin) for
      example.
      The down side is men. Doing a program with more
      diverse parts always means, well, you need folks to
      sing them. At least with this program, much of the
      music can be arranged into 3 part treble so that it
      can stand on it's own with just female voices.
      ,_._,___

    • chrissings@juno.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008

        Hi Erlan:

        I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the audience....in short...too much of one style.

        I like your Christmas in August idea much better.  There are plenty of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program.  If you would like to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.

        We're looking forward to your decision.

        Cheers!
        Arianna M.

        -- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@...> wrote:

        Good idea Diane,
[...]

        So, perhaps some feedback from the folks who'll be
        singing..... .would be nice.

        erlan

        Be a better friend, newshound, and

        Click to find out what your future holds.
      • Terri Garvey
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
          I'd like to cast my vote for the Christmas in August.
          I love Christmas music, and maybe we can all feel
          cooler for a little while.

          Excited to join you again, whatever you decide.

          Yours in Service,
          Lady Tessa
          the Amnesiac Wandering Scavenger Merchant

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Elizabeth Dowling
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
            Hmmm... since I think I'll actually make it to Pennsic this year
            (really missing it last year), my vote is not for Christmas in
            July/August, but something new. As we've seen with Josquin, one
            composer could have many different and lively moods. And it's fun to
            see something new. In my local group, I can't seem to get people to do
            much more than Christmas, which means that I've had my fill of Christmas
            this year. (But I'll sing anything, and won't mind buying some more
            music, even if it is Christmas :) As far as getting an audience, that
            might have something to do with publicity, or else singing at other
            occasions such as courts (although many people are too busy to do that).

            I also have a terrible time locally with recruiting men. I don't like
            art as competition myself, but it seems that if they won't get a War
            Point or Award, very few will sustain their involvement. But, I've also
            become more realistic; locally it's hard to do four parts if the parts
            can't be filled; I prefer to do lively pieces with fewer parts.

            The Pennsic Choir does have enough people to do four or five parts, but
            there are limitations (finding parts in peoples' vocal ranges). Some
            people need to hear their part (midi or other recording) for several
            weeks so that they are not thrown off by the other parts. Many people
            can do difficult parts if they have time to hear and learn them.

            I really hope that I don't have any more snafus this year, and that I'll
            see everybody at Pennsic. I'm looking forward to singing whatever is
            chosen.
            Lady Elizabeth of Gwyntarian (soprano)

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
              FWIW, my choir has sung three of Rossi's sacred pieces over the years. They are fun (imagine a Lutheran hymn crossed with Klezmer... I know it's hard, but try), but at least the ones I have seen have a certain sameness that might lead to a rather repetitive concert. I don't know if there are any secular Rossi pieces, but if so, they might provide some variety.

              Just my two cents which you can ignore, as I probably will not have time to sing with the choir this year.

            • Diane
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 21, 2008
                I'm not familiar with Rossi's music (so I googled & sampled) and am
                looking forward to learning something new, but I agree with Arianna
                and think that there is more diversity in a Xmas program, with a few
                of Rossi's pieces added to the mix.

                YIS, Celaena

                --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:

                > Hi Erlan:
                > I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be
                as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the
                audience....in short...too much of one style.
                > I like your Christmas in August idea much better. There are plenty
                of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program. If you would like
                to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden
                the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.
                > We're looking forward to your decision.
                > Cheers!
                > Arianna M.

              • Claudia Willsea
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2008
                  Dear Erlan:  I like the suggestions made by Arianna M.  However, please do add some of the Rossi.  I think Jewish music is very moving and would be appreciated by all.  I have not sung with the chorus since 2006, so I am very much looking forward to returning to Pennsic and the choir!  Yours Truly,  Lady Claudia

                  "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:
                  Hi Erlan:
                  I'm not sure that performing the music of a single composer would be as much fun for choir members or as aesthetically pleasing for the audience.... in short...too much of one style.
                  I like your Christmas in August idea much better.  There are plenty of 4 and 5 part pieces to fill a half hour program.  If you would like to include music of Jewish composers, e,g, Rossi, you could broaden the theme to "Music of Praise" or something along those lines.
                  We're looking forward to your decision.
                  Cheers!
                  Arianna M.

                  -- maria daggett <erlannordenskald@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                  Good idea Diane,
[...]

                  ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____
                  Click to find out what your future holds.

                • starblazingqueen
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                    Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
                    Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
                    does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
                    more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
                    experience a wider range of music.

                    But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
                    I am the have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too type!)

                    Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale
                  • Susan Stoltze
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                      OK, usually I'm lurking, but for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of Christmas music unless it's between Thanksgiving and Christmas Day on the caledar.

                      Can't wait to find out what you have in store for us.

                      - Susanna

                      starblazingqueen <starblazingqueen@...> wrote:
                      Judging from what others have said, I am also inclined to favor the
                      Christmas in August program. The diversity of music and composers
                      does make for a more interesting concert, and then we may have some
                      more flexibility in the ability of people to sing different parts and
                      experience a wider range of music.

                      But, nothing's to say we can't feature a song or two. (But then again,
                      I am the have-your-cake- and-eat-it- too type!)

                      Alyce Attwood, Shire of Hartshorn-Dale

                    • mary-florence
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 19, 2008
                        Greetings one and all!
                        This year will be my first Pennsic and I have been deliberating with
                        myself about whether or not to join the choir. Well, the scales are
                        weighing more heavily on the 'Yay' side than the 'Nay'. I became
                        really tweaked when the thought of Christmas music was presented. It
                        occured to me that if humour is allowed, I do a spoof on the '12 Days
                        After Christmas' for which I don the horned Viking hat with the
                        pigtails, as well as the pointy boustierre (sp?). I throw that out fcr
                        your consideration.
                        Marihannah LeMoyne of Butterfield
                        Canton of Caer Draeth
                        Barony of Septentria