Introduction

  • Lorraine Herr
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 27, 2007
      Good evening, gentle cousins,

      Permit me to introduce myself. I am Lady Angela Rosa Dellamora of the
      Barony of Stromgard in the Kingdom of An Tir. For the last two years,
      I have performed as as a mezzo soprano with a local early music
      consort, Musica Draconis. We perform at both SCA and non SCA events and
      try to share as much joy through music as possible! In my mundane life,
      I have performed for over thirty years in a wide variety of venues.

      My household and I are delighted to discover that we will be able to
      attend Estrella this coming February, and are looking forward to the
      musical experiences at the event. Please do let me know if there is
      anything we can do to help in advance of the event. Looking forward
      to meeting many fellow musicians!

      In service,

      Angela
    • L Dinsmore
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
        So do we have a director for KWC for Estrella, and did I miss the sign up??

        Illuminada Eugenia de Guadalupe y Godoy
        Caid

      • Donald F. Harrington
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
          Luckily, you didn't miss the sign-up because you don't have to sign up in advance to participate.  You just have to show up at two of the rehearsals.  I've been working with the gate-book because last year some people had trouble finding the info about us.  (It was in there, but so was a lot of other stuff.)  The rehearsals (noon to two on Wed-Sat) and the performance (2:00 pm Sunday) are both listed in the A&S Collegium schedule.  The performance is listed again under special events.  And just to make more sure, I bought a quarter-page ad for the performance, including a reference to the rehearsals in the Collegium schedule.  The only other thing I can think of to do to boost advertising is to get some fliers printed up before the war and pay off some urchins to put them up everywhere they can find.  (Thanks to Amy Marie for helping me coordinate the advance publication schedule.)

          Everything except one rehearsal is at the Grand Pavilion, including the performance.  (Saturday rehearsal is being graciously hosted by Her Grace Deille of Farnham's encampment, which we also used last year.  Saturday, the Grand Pavilion is booked up.)

          I admit I'm behind schedule on picking out music and getting it posted to this Yahoo! group website and my own, so any suggestions that people may have I'd very much love to hear.

          Don Harrington
          Lazarus Artifex

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 28, 2007
            Good morning, gentle cousins,

            My Lord Lazarus, thank you for the very helpful information about participating --- showing up for rehearsal sounds like a reasonably simple thing to do.  Our household plans to arrive on Tuesday quite early (actually, will probably roll in from Portland late Monday night!), so we should be all set up by Tuesday afternoon.  Do let me know if there is anything you might need help with, in term setting up, sorting music, etc.  I would be more than happy to assist you.

            And, if a Very new newcomer can make some suggestions for music:

            Arcadelt        -- Il Bianco e Dolce Cigno
            Certon          -- La, la, la, je ne l'ose dire
            des Pres        -- El Grillo
            di Lasso        -- Je L'ayme bien
            El Viejo         -- Dindirin
            Monserrat     -- Stella Splendens
            Sermisy         -- Tant Que Vivrai
            Vecchi           -- Deh Prega amor il fato

            These are some wonderful bits, and Not Too Hard to learn in several days' time.  (And yes, I have Noteworthy scores in several keys to most of them!)

            Looking forward to meeting everyone in 48 days!

            YIS,

            Angela Rosa Dellamora

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2008
              Some of these we've done, but many we have not.  I've always been fond of Stella Splendens, thanks for the great suggestions!

              Don Harrington
              Lazarus Artifex

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2010
                My name is Patricia, known in the SCA as Isabelle de Foix. I am interested in all sorts of medieval music especially troubadour music.
                THL Isabelle de Foix

                blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
                  Welcome to the Known World Choir email list, Isabelle!

                  We're pretty quiet except around big wars with choir activity, but feel free to contact the list if you have any questions.

                  Arianna

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
                    I'm interested in troubadour books.