Re: [KWChoir] Re: Estrella

  • DON HARRINGTON
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 10, 2007
      Fourth year, actually.

      We've talked about some alternatives for director, but it hasn't been productive.  I hadn't realized that a Choir commitment was 'till death do us part.  Smiley emoticon

      I went ahead and put up a holding page for it on my website and reloaded the previous 3 years files, so all the music we've done up to now is available (www.donharrington.net, click on the <Known World Choir> menu item).  I believe we have rehearsal space reserved in the A&S pavilion as in years past, but the performance location is still up for discussion.  I'm voting for during Queen's Tea, rather than after it.  People have also commented that we should promote the Choir more on the War website and in the program book.  Last year, it was hard to find it in the program book and impossible to find on the War site, but that may have had more to do with production problems than anything else.  Nonetheless, it's important to have the info available.

      I love doing the Choir, but my time on the war site is limited to only a few hours each day.  Last year, my household made joking comments that I was just treating them like a hotel, showing up for a minute, running off to rehearsal, coming back for a minute and leaving.  I admit I was reluctant to say yes to another year, but it looks like that would be the best for now.  What we need to do is open up a 4-Kingdom search for alternate directors, since we usually have at least 4 Kingdoms as treaty signers.  Within the Kingdom of Atenveldt, we know most of the people and they all say, "weren't you doing it again, Laz?  It's a tradition now".

      Don Harrington
      Lazarus Artifex

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 14, 2007
        Til Death Due Us part
        That's funny!
        Absolutely not Lazarus. And you're right it will be the 4th
        year. How quickly time passes.
        It's fun doing the choir, but I don't reccommend doing it for
        all the years in a row. It's tiring and you miss so much else of
        the war. Three years is a lot more than I had even hoped for.

        It's important for musicians out in the West end of the US to
        look amongst themselves for a possible director. It certainly
        will be nice to have the Choir at Estrella, however not at the
        expense of anyone's war experience of course.
        I never know if I am able to make it out there in time to
        commit to doing it.

        Even if someone has an inkling of experience and the dedication
        to try, I can work with them to make it happen. Lazarus is
        willing I'm sure to help guide a new person through the process
        of getting rehearsal/performance space and working out details.

        So, choir members, think about it.... do you know a person who
        might be suited to direct Estrella this year, well, next year
        actually (2008)?
        Perhaps a singer from the last year? Maybe you can do it.

        Just thoughts

      • Gwenfain Verch Gorwan
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2008
          Well i was pondering if i should just lurk for a bit or hop right in. I
          decided to hop in ()8) My name is Gwenfain Verch Gorwan from Santa
          Monica, CA (Kingdom of Caid) I sing either soprano or alto and am
          trying really really hard to get Pensics this year. I look forward to
          seeing the music for this year at least so I can learn some new songs.
          I am currently working in my family business and in my spare time am
          writing a novel.
          Well that is all there is about me. Just wanted to introduce myself and
          hope to meet some of y'all at Pennsic this year ()8)
        • mary-flo@sympatico.ca
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2008

            This'll be my first Pennsic too!  Can't wait!!

            Life is short!
            Forgive quickly!
            Love truly,
            Laugh uncontrollably
            .

            Love life, live gratefully,

            Blessings and hugs,

            Mary-florence

            www.mary-flo.com

            Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2008
              Greetings fellow KW Choir members,

              My name is Denw verch Rhys and I too am looking forward to Pennsic this year. I recently moved and now I am situated 1 hour from our campsite at Cooper's. I have sung in at least 4 KW Choirs at Pennsic and have enjoyed every minute. Hope to see all of you there this year.

              Yours in music,

              Denw

              To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
              From: gwenfain@...
              Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 18:32:31 +0000

              Well i was pondering if i should just lurk for a bit or hop right in. I
              decided to hop in ()8) My name is Gwenfain Verch Gorwan from Santa
              Monica, CA (Kingdom of Caid) I sing either soprano or alto and am
              trying really really hard to get Pensics this year. I look forward to
              seeing the music for this year at least so I can learn some new songs.
              I am currently working in my family business and in my spare time am
              writing a novel.
              Well that is all there is about me. Just wanted to introduce myself and
              hope to meet some of y'all at Pennsic this year ()8)

              With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.
            • June
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 18, 2008
                I have but 2 requests

                1st - does anyone have a CD they are willing to send me for appropiate
                compensation ($) from the Pennsic 37 Concert this past summer?

                2nd - our Shire is helping at a local community Demo. The community
                theme for the Demo "A Dickens Christmas" Am interested in period
                music - and we will most probably do some of the more common stand=bys
                of today (hooks people)

                Your Assistance is most welcomed and appreciated!

                Mairghreicc
                aka "Meitheamh"
                aka "June"
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 18, 2008
                  Lady Erlan can probably help you with the CD.

                  For the Dickens Christmas, are you interested in music from Dickens' time period, or the SCA's time period? There's a lot of stuff suitable for DIckens that's OOP for us...

                  For the SCA, all of the holiday music Erlan did this past Pennsic is in period, plus my choir also likes the following:

                  Noel Nouvelet (French carol)
                  O Come, O Come Emmanuel (though it sounds better in Latin)
                  Personent Hodie
                  In Dulci Jubilo
                  Coventry Carol
                  Beata Progenies
                  The Holly and the Ivy
                  Nowell Sing We Both Alle and Som
                  Gloucestorshire Wassail
                  Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming (better in German)

                  Arianna of Wynthrope

                  1st - does anyone have a CD they are willing to send me for appropiate
                  compensation ($) from the Pennsic 37 Concert this past summer?

                  2nd - our Shire is helping at a local community Demo. The community
                  theme for the Demo "A Dickens Christmas" Am interested in period
                  music - and we will most probably do some of the more common stand=bys
                  of today (hooks people)

                  Your Assistance is most welcomed and appreciated!

                  Mairghreicc
                  aka "Meitheamh"
                  aka "June"

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • June Whalen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 18, 2008

                    Thank you for the quick response!

                    I am hoping for nice and easy pieces - in time period (although the modern are more known)

                    Our Shire is many things - Arts and Sciences Heavy being the most notable - however a choir we are not - many of us sing (and I am in KWC).

                    A few you mention I am aware of - the others not.

                    I wil look into them

                    Thank You

                    Mairghreicc

                    1st - does anyone have a CD they are willing to send me for appropiate
                    compensation ($) from the Pennsic 37 Concert this past summer?

                    2nd - our Shire is helping at a local community Demo. The community
                    theme for the Demo "A Dickens Christmas" Am interested in period
                    music - and we will most probably do some of the more common stand=bys
                    of today (hooks people)

                    Your Assistance is most welcomed and appreciated!

                    Mairghreicc
                    aka "Meitheamh"
                    aka "June"

                    Do You Yahoo!?