Re: Mystery Plays

  • Maria Daggett
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2007
      Hi fellow KWC'ers.
      Erlan has an idea and will do it ONLY if it's OK with the
      current members.
      Please read the following forward from THL Tazes Sofia
      regarding the Known World Players. It's a request for money but
      it's also in support of a group that in a way is like a cousin
      to the Known World Choir. They are performing a cycle of plays
      known as the Wakefield Cycle and will do so in an almost period
      style. There will be music involved as well as appropriate
      costumes and theatrical methods.

      Anyway, they are asking for $50 from a group or person and in
      exchange for that, the badge or arms of will be displayed on the
      performance area. For $250 the group will sponsor a play.
      So, I would like to have our badge displayed so I would like
      feedback. Is is possible for us to donate $1 each to make the
      $50?
      I'd like to send off the check by the end of this week along
      with the picture of our badge.
      Please converse here on this list, to know if this is
      something that the KWC would participate in.

      Thanks,

      Erlandr Nordenskald < Coordinator KWC, Director Emeritas

      (the needle that weaves the threads (YOU)of the tapestry known
      as the KWC

      There is still time to help support this amazing production at
      Pennsic.
      So far we have raised roughly half of our goal of $2,000, and
      we need your help to make Pennsic history. Please donate today!

      In Service,
      THL Tyzes Sofia
      Founder and Director, Known World Players

      ~Please forward as deemed appropriate. ~

      > The Known World Players are seeking SCA groups, households,
      and
      > individuals who are interested in supporting the Players
      upcoming
      > production of plays from the Wakefield Cycle at Pennsic 2007.
      >
      > The Wakefield Cycle is one of four complete or nearly complete
      cycles of English mystery plays that still exist today. Mystery
      plays are short dramas that each tell one important Bible story
      or episode, and a full Cycle takes the audience from the
      Creation of the World through the birth and crucifixion of
      Christ to the Last Judgment.

      The mystery plays were vital to the Catholic Church for
      transmitting its values and beliefs to an audience that in most
      cases could not (and was not allowed to) read the Bible. They
      were wildly popular in period, when one to three days might be
      devoted to performing a Cycle.

      In period, each play would be adopted by a guild, which would
      then stage the play on a mobile pageant wagon. The wagon would
      stop at several fixed points on what was essentially a parade
      route, performing the play at each stop. The Players intend to
      simulate the same experience, performing at various locations
      throughout the Pennsic site, including AEthelmearc Royal
      Encampment. Due to logistical problems, instead of using pageant
      wagons the Players will be setting up temporary stages
      at each station and using small wagons to travel to each stop.
      Individuals and/or groups wishing to contribute may make checks
      payable to:
      SCA, Inc. - Pennsic (please write "Known World Players" in the
      memo field of your check, so that the contribution is properly
      credited to the Players.)

      > Mail your check to the office of the Pennsic Exchequer:
      > Vanessa Marsh
      > 2514 Elaine Ct.
      > Kokmo, IN 46902
      >
      > Contributions of $50 or more entitle you to have your arms or
      badge (or that of your group, household, etc.) displayed
      prominently on the stage of one of the productions. Please
      submit your contribution and forward a colored drawing of your
      heraldry to karoline AT karolinekramer DOT com prior to July 15
      in order to have your heraldry displayed at a performance site.

      Contributions of $250 or more entitle you or your group to be
      recognized as a "guild sponsor" of one of the productions.

      > For more information regarding sponsorship or to get involved
      in the
      > productions, please contact THL Tyzes Sofia, founder and
      manager of
      > the
      > Known World Players, at karoline AT karolinekramer DOT com.

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
    • Geffrei Maudeleyne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2007

        I’ll gladly send you the money, or get it to you at Pennsic. Also, I would be interested in a single person gift of that amount if you could give me the contact information.

        Geffrei

        ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *****
        There is still time to help support this amazing production at
        Pennsic.
        So far we have raised roughly half of our goal of $2,000, and
        we need your help to make Pennsic history. Please donate today!

        In Service,
        THL Tyzes Sofia
        Founder and Director, Known World Players

      • Rosalind Jehanne
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2007
        • Terri Garvey
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2007
            I'm in.

            http://sims.yahoo.com/
          • Julia Kathan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2007
              Me too, just remind us when we get there.
              Myfanwy