RE: [KWChoir] PDFs of Pennsic 36 Program German Pronounciation primer

  • William Mauldin
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007

      Here’s a stab at phonetically spelling Musica, Die ganz Lieblich Kunst. Pronounce all letters.

      Musica = Moo-si-ka short i

      Die = dee

      Ganz = gahntz G as in gate

      Lieblich = leeb-lich ch as in Scottish loch

      Kunst = koonst oo as in soon

      Ist = ist short i

      Ehrenwert = eh – wren – vert   eh is like slang for I can’t hear you.

      Zu = tzoo

      Halten = hall – ten

      Hat = hat a as in father

      Billig = bill – lig short I’s pronounch both L’s

      Allenthaben = ahl – lent – hahl – ben

      Gunst = goon-st

      Bei = bye

      Jungen = yoon-gen

      Und = oont

      Alten = all-ten

      Leidet = Lie – det

      Schmerz = schm – er - tz pronounce all letters. “er” as in early

      Tut = toot

      All = all

      Unmut = un – moot

      Vertreiben = Fer-try-ben

      Traurig = Traw-rig almost put a “K” in the “G”

      Niemand = Nee – man – d

      Bleiben = bli – ben long I

      Viel = Feel

      Elder = elder

      Kraft = craft

      Zie = zee

      Mitsich = mit-si-sh short i

      Bringt = bring-t

      Davon = da – fon

      Wir = veer

      Alle = all-le

      Zeu-gen = tzeu – gen  eu as in Sigmund Freud

      Durch = doer – ch  ch as above

      Hertze = Hertz – a  like the car company with “a” on the end.

      Dringt = I as in pin not English ing pronounce everything

      Ihr = ear

      Lieblichkeit = Lee-b-lich-kite

      Wer = Ver  er as in early

      Könnt = Kern – t

      Lob = Lobe

      Verschweigen = Fir – schwi – gen  long I in the middle sylable

      Es = Ess

      Müsst = Mers-st er as in early

      Doch = o as in doe ch as in Scottish loch

      Sein = sign

      Ein = as above without the S

      Harter = a as in father e as in tent

      Stein = as in vessel for beer Stine

      Der = short e like eh

      Sich = short I ch like loch

      Nicht = short I, ch like loch, t

      Liess = lee – ss

      Bewegen = Beh-vA-gen

      Wenn = venn

      Gesangtut = ge-song-toot

      Regen = ra – gen

      Drum = droom

      Wollen = vohl-len

      Heller = hell – ler

      Frau = fraw

      Stets = short e

      Preisen = prize – en

      Gewisslich = guh-vish-lish

      Immerdar = im-meer-dar

      Stimmt = stem – mt

      Erklingen = er – cling – en

      Den = Long German e almost dane

      Hört = hurt

      This covers most of the words and will not be completely accurate but will give you a good starting place.

      Geffrei

      German tends to be much more challenging that latin.

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
        Thanks, Geffrei!

        My choir has been singing this piece for about a year now, and that was pretty accurate except that the words beginning with S usually don't sound like an English "S", but either a "Z" or an "Sh."  For example, "sein" and "sich" are pronounced "zine" (long i) and "zich" (short i, Scottish ch), while "stein," "stimmt" and "stets" are pronounced "shtine" (also long i), "shtimt" (short i) and "shtets" (short e).

        Arianna of Wynthrope (*not* Arianna Morgan) :-)

        William Mauldin <wmmauldin@...> wrote:
[...]

          In Service to a Dream,

          Christine Bakken

          SCA Name: Bridget

          Where from: Northshield (Grand Forks, ND)

        • Katie Sadler-Stephenson
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
            I would also add, don't be afraid of German, it's easier than it looks
            because it's a consistent language. And one thing that is helpful
            with words with "ie" or "ei" in them is just to pronounce the second
            vowel. If it has "ei" it is "eye" as someone put it earlier and "ie"
            is "eee". In college I always just used to cross out the first vowel
            until I got really comfortable with that!

            --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...>
            wrote:

            > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
            stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

            > Christine

          • Lisa Briner
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
              My singer daughter learned it this way:
              When the first vowel is walkin' - the second does the talkin'
              (silly, but effective)

              Ysabel

              wrote:

              > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
              stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

              > Christine

            • erlannordenskald
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                Hey all, Erlan here.
                Just a heads up to all our members.
                1) SPAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
                2) Try and edit your posts by deleting the digests when answering or
                replying to a post. Snip only the sections that refer to the topic.
                3) Change the subject line only if you're changing the subject.
                4)Be nice, be clean and be friendly
                5) Organize files and pictures into your own folders.

                that's all

                just doing my job

                Sing well, sing LOUD and sing often..........

                WHEN IS AN ESTRELLA REPORT COMING IN??????????

                erlandr
              • chrissings@juno.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                  Thanks guys.  No worries.  We will go over all pronunciations in rehearsal to ensure everyone is pronouncing things the same way.  I feel fairly comfortable with German and the Latin.

                  I don't feel quite as comfortable with French.  I avoided it like the plague in college to nasal sounding for me.

                  Is there anyone on the list who speaks french well enough to help out the ole director with the pronouciation of of Chantez a Dieu?

                  Thanks!

                  Arianna M.

                  Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

                  K�nnt = Kern � t
                  Lob = Lobe
                  Verschweigen = Fir � schwi � gen  long I in the middle sylable
                  Es = Ess
                  M�sst = Mers-st er as in early
[...]
                  H�rt = hurt

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007
                    I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                    that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                    but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                    on it there.

                    Ysolt
                    --
                    Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                    Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                      Merci Beaucoup (sp?) Madame Ysolt:

                      I will be a Kingdom A&S encouraging Pennsic Choir participation....among other things.

                      Master Corun loaned me a really nifty book that may help us "periodize" (I'm pretty sure that's not a real word - - but it gets the point accross) the modern French.

                      Your help is always appreciated.

                      See you next week!

                      Arianna M.

                      -- Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                      I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                      that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                      but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                      on it there.

                      Ysolt
                      --
                      Ma�tresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP