Re: [KWChoir] PDFs of Pennsic 36 Program

  • chrissings@juno.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19 2:07 PM
      German tends to be much more challenging that latin.

      -- Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...> wrote:

      Let's This is the day
      and
      adroamus te

      lets see it's been few years since I did they last one but I still remember the latin,  So that is one not to worry about.
      I have never done geremen before its not very popular up here in ND.  But latin was.

      Christine

      "chrissings@ juno.com" <Chrissings@juno. com> wrote:
      Great!  Which ones?  (Let me guess...Contate Domino and O Magnum?)
      I've actually directed (and have sung) 4 of the 7 pieces before.

      -- Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@yahoo. com> wrote:
      Hey after looking at the songs.  I actually already knew 2 of the songs.

      Bridget

      "chrissings@ juno.com" <Chrissings@juno. com> wrote:
      Yup.  Here ya go!
      Cantate Domino
      This is the Day
      Adoramus Te
      Psalm 96 Chantez a Dieu
      O Magnum Mysterium
      Musica Die Gans Lieblich Kunst
      Tu es Petrus

      -- HEL <helthehorrible@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Do you have the song order decided yet?

      HEL

      In Service to a Dream,
      Christine Bakken
      SCA Name: Bridget
      Where from: Northshield (Grand Forks, ND)

      TV dinner still cooling?

      In Service to a Dream,

      Christine Bakken

      SCA Name: Bridget

      Where from: Northshield (Grand Forks, ND)

      Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
      in the Yahoo! Answers Food Drink Q&A.

    • William Mauldin
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19 5:38 PM

        Here’s a stab at phonetically spelling Musica, Die ganz Lieblich Kunst. Pronounce all letters.

        Musica = Moo-si-ka short i

        Die = dee

        Ganz = gahntz G as in gate

        Lieblich = leeb-lich ch as in Scottish loch

        Kunst = koonst oo as in soon

        Ist = ist short i

        Ehrenwert = eh – wren – vert   eh is like slang for I can’t hear you.

        Zu = tzoo

        Halten = hall – ten

        Hat = hat a as in father

        Billig = bill – lig short I’s pronounch both L’s

        Allenthaben = ahl – lent – hahl – ben

        Gunst = goon-st

        Bei = bye

        Jungen = yoon-gen

        Und = oont

        Alten = all-ten

        Leidet = Lie – det

        Schmerz = schm – er - tz pronounce all letters. “er” as in early

        Tut = toot

        All = all

        Unmut = un – moot

        Vertreiben = Fer-try-ben

        Traurig = Traw-rig almost put a “K” in the “G”

        Niemand = Nee – man – d

        Bleiben = bli – ben long I

        Viel = Feel

        Elder = elder

        Kraft = craft

        Zie = zee

        Mitsich = mit-si-sh short i

        Bringt = bring-t

        Davon = da – fon

        Wir = veer

        Alle = all-le

        Zeu-gen = tzeu – gen  eu as in Sigmund Freud

        Durch = doer – ch  ch as above

        Hertze = Hertz – a  like the car company with “a” on the end.

        Dringt = I as in pin not English ing pronounce everything

        Ihr = ear

        Lieblichkeit = Lee-b-lich-kite

        Wer = Ver  er as in early

        Könnt = Kern – t

        Lob = Lobe

        Verschweigen = Fir – schwi – gen  long I in the middle sylable

        Es = Ess

        Müsst = Mers-st er as in early

        Doch = o as in doe ch as in Scottish loch

        Sein = sign

        Ein = as above without the S

        Harter = a as in father e as in tent

        Stein = as in vessel for beer Stine

        Der = short e like eh

        Sich = short I ch like loch

        Nicht = short I, ch like loch, t

        Liess = lee – ss

        Bewegen = Beh-vA-gen

        Wenn = venn

        Gesangtut = ge-song-toot

        Regen = ra – gen

        Drum = droom

        Wollen = vohl-len

        Heller = hell – ler

        Frau = fraw

        Stets = short e

        Preisen = prize – en

        Gewisslich = guh-vish-lish

        Immerdar = im-meer-dar

        Stimmt = stem – mt

        Erklingen = er – cling – en

        Den = Long German e almost dane

        Hört = hurt

        This covers most of the words and will not be completely accurate but will give you a good starting place.

        Geffrei

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19 6:25 PM
          Thanks, Geffrei!

          My choir has been singing this piece for about a year now, and that was pretty accurate except that the words beginning with S usually don't sound like an English "S", but either a "Z" or an "Sh."  For example, "sein" and "sich" are pronounced "zine" (long i) and "zich" (short i, Scottish ch), while "stein," "stimmt" and "stets" are pronounced "shtine" (also long i), "shtimt" (short i) and "shtets" (short e).

          Arianna of Wynthrope (*not* Arianna Morgan) :-)

          • Katie Sadler-Stephenson
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 20 8:48 AM
              I would also add, don't be afraid of German, it's easier than it looks
              because it's a consistent language. And one thing that is helpful
              with words with "ie" or "ei" in them is just to pronounce the second
              vowel. If it has "ei" it is "eye" as someone put it earlier and "ie"
              is "eee". In college I always just used to cross out the first vowel
              until I got really comfortable with that!

              --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...>
              wrote:

              > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
              stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

              > Christine

            • Lisa Briner
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 20 9:32 AM
                My singer daughter learned it this way:
                When the first vowel is walkin' - the second does the talkin'
                (silly, but effective)

                Ysabel

                wrote:

                > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                > Christine

              • erlannordenskald
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 20 9:22 PM
                  Hey all, Erlan here.
                  Just a heads up to all our members.
                  1) SPAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
                  2) Try and edit your posts by deleting the digests when answering or
                  replying to a post. Snip only the sections that refer to the topic.
                  3) Change the subject line only if you're changing the subject.
                  4)Be nice, be clean and be friendly
                  5) Organize files and pictures into your own folders.

                  that's all

                  just doing my job

                  Sing well, sing LOUD and sing often..........

                  WHEN IS AN ESTRELLA REPORT COMING IN??????????

                  erlandr
                • chrissings@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 24 9:15 AM

                    Thanks guys.  No worries.  We will go over all pronunciations in rehearsal to ensure everyone is pronouncing things the same way.  I feel fairly comfortable with German and the Latin.

                    I don't feel quite as comfortable with French.  I avoided it like the plague in college to nasal sounding for me.

                    Is there anyone on the list who speaks french well enough to help out the ole director with the pronouciation of of Chantez a Dieu?

                    Thanks!

                    Arianna M.

                    Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

                    K�nnt = Kern � t
                    Lob = Lobe
                    Verschweigen = Fir � schwi � gen  long I in the middle sylable
                    Es = Ess
                    M�sst = Mers-st er as in early
[...]
                    H�rt = hurt

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 24 9:28 AM
                      I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                      that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                      but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                      on it there.

                      Ysolt
                      --
                      Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                      Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 24 10:00 AM

                        Merci Beaucoup (sp?) Madame Ysolt:

                        I will be a Kingdom A&S encouraging Pennsic Choir participation....among other things.

                        Master Corun loaned me a really nifty book that may help us "periodize" (I'm pretty sure that's not a real word - - but it gets the point accross) the modern French.

                        Your help is always appreciated.

                        See you next week!

                        Arianna M.

                        -- Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                        I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                        that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                        but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                        on it there.

                        Ysolt
                        --
                        Ma�tresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP