Re: [KWChoir] PDFs of Pennsic 36 Program

  • chrissings@juno.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007

      Great!  Which ones?  (Let me guess...Contate Domino and O Magnum?)

      I've actually directed (and have sung) 4 of the 7 pieces before.

      -- Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...> wrote:

      Hey after looking at the songs.  I actually already knew 2 of the songs.

      Bridget

      "chrissings@ juno.com" <Chrissings@juno. com> wrote:
      Yup.  Here ya go!
      Cantate Domino
      This is the Day
      Adoramus Te
      Psalm 96 Chantez a Dieu
      O Magnum Mysterium
      Musica Die Gans Lieblich Kunst
      Tu es Petrus

      -- HEL <helthehorrible@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Do you have the song order decided yet?

      HEL

      In Service to a Dream,

      Christine Bakken

      SCA Name: Bridget

      Where from: Northshield (Grand Forks, ND)

      TV dinner still cooling?

    • Christine Bakken/Bridget
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
        Let's This is the day
        and
        adroamus te

        lets see it's been few years since I did they last one but I still remember the latin,  So that is one not to worry about.
        I have never done geremen before its not very popular up here in ND.  But latin was.

        Christine

        -- Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

      • chrissings@juno.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007

            Here’s a stab at phonetically spelling Musica, Die ganz Lieblich Kunst. Pronounce all letters.

            Musica = Moo-si-ka short i

            Die = dee

            Ganz = gahntz G as in gate

            Lieblich = leeb-lich ch as in Scottish loch

            Kunst = koonst oo as in soon

            Ist = ist short i

            Ehrenwert = eh – wren – vert   eh is like slang for I can’t hear you.

            Zu = tzoo

            Halten = hall – ten

            Hat = hat a as in father

            Billig = bill – lig short I’s pronounch both L’s

            Allenthaben = ahl – lent – hahl – ben

            Gunst = goon-st

            Bei = bye

            Jungen = yoon-gen

            Und = oont

            Alten = all-ten

            Leidet = Lie – det

            Schmerz = schm – er - tz pronounce all letters. “er” as in early

            Tut = toot

            All = all

            Unmut = un – moot

            Vertreiben = Fer-try-ben

            Traurig = Traw-rig almost put a “K” in the “G”

            Niemand = Nee – man – d

            Bleiben = bli – ben long I

            Viel = Feel

            Elder = elder

            Kraft = craft

            Zie = zee

            Mitsich = mit-si-sh short i

            Bringt = bring-t

            Davon = da – fon

            Wir = veer

            Alle = all-le

            Zeu-gen = tzeu – gen  eu as in Sigmund Freud

            Durch = doer – ch  ch as above

            Hertze = Hertz – a  like the car company with “a” on the end.

            Dringt = I as in pin not English ing pronounce everything

            Ihr = ear

            Lieblichkeit = Lee-b-lich-kite

            Wer = Ver  er as in early

            Könnt = Kern – t

            Lob = Lobe

            Verschweigen = Fir – schwi – gen  long I in the middle sylable

            Es = Ess

            Müsst = Mers-st er as in early

            Doch = o as in doe ch as in Scottish loch

            Sein = sign

            Ein = as above without the S

            Harter = a as in father e as in tent

            Stein = as in vessel for beer Stine

            Der = short e like eh

            Sich = short I ch like loch

            Nicht = short I, ch like loch, t

            Liess = lee – ss

            Bewegen = Beh-vA-gen

            Wenn = venn

            Gesangtut = ge-song-toot

            Regen = ra – gen

            Drum = droom

            Wollen = vohl-len

            Heller = hell – ler

            Frau = fraw

            Stets = short e

            Preisen = prize – en

            Gewisslich = guh-vish-lish

            Immerdar = im-meer-dar

            Stimmt = stem – mt

            Erklingen = er – cling – en

            Den = Long German e almost dane

            Hört = hurt

            This covers most of the words and will not be completely accurate but will give you a good starting place.

            Geffrei

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
              Thanks, Geffrei!

              My choir has been singing this piece for about a year now, and that was pretty accurate except that the words beginning with S usually don't sound like an English "S", but either a "Z" or an "Sh."  For example, "sein" and "sich" are pronounced "zine" (long i) and "zich" (short i, Scottish ch), while "stein," "stimmt" and "stets" are pronounced "shtine" (also long i), "shtimt" (short i) and "shtets" (short e).

              Arianna of Wynthrope (*not* Arianna Morgan) :-)

              • Katie Sadler-Stephenson
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                  I would also add, don't be afraid of German, it's easier than it looks
                  because it's a consistent language. And one thing that is helpful
                  with words with "ie" or "ei" in them is just to pronounce the second
                  vowel. If it has "ei" it is "eye" as someone put it earlier and "ie"
                  is "eee". In college I always just used to cross out the first vowel
                  until I got really comfortable with that!

                  --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                  stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                  > Christine

                • Lisa Briner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                    My singer daughter learned it this way:
                    When the first vowel is walkin' - the second does the talkin'
                    (silly, but effective)

                    Ysabel

                    wrote:

                    > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                    stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                    > Christine

                  • erlannordenskald
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                      Hey all, Erlan here.
                      Just a heads up to all our members.
                      1) SPAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
                      2) Try and edit your posts by deleting the digests when answering or
                      replying to a post. Snip only the sections that refer to the topic.
                      3) Change the subject line only if you're changing the subject.
                      4)Be nice, be clean and be friendly
                      5) Organize files and pictures into your own folders.

                      that's all

                      just doing my job

                      Sing well, sing LOUD and sing often..........

                      WHEN IS AN ESTRELLA REPORT COMING IN??????????

                      erlandr
                    • chrissings@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                        Thanks guys.  No worries.  We will go over all pronunciations in rehearsal to ensure everyone is pronouncing things the same way.  I feel fairly comfortable with German and the Latin.

                        I don't feel quite as comfortable with French.  I avoided it like the plague in college to nasal sounding for me.

                        Is there anyone on the list who speaks french well enough to help out the ole director with the pronouciation of of Chantez a Dieu?

                        Thanks!

                        Arianna M.

                        Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

                        K�nnt = Kern � t
                        Lob = Lobe
                        Verschweigen = Fir � schwi � gen  long I in the middle sylable
                        Es = Ess
                        M�sst = Mers-st er as in early
[...]
                        H�rt = hurt

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007
                          I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                          that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                          but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                          on it there.

                          Ysolt
                          --
                          Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                          Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                            Merci Beaucoup (sp?) Madame Ysolt:

                            I will be a Kingdom A&S encouraging Pennsic Choir participation....among other things.

                            Master Corun loaned me a really nifty book that may help us "periodize" (I'm pretty sure that's not a real word - - but it gets the point accross) the modern French.

                            Your help is always appreciated.

                            See you next week!

                            Arianna M.

                            -- Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                            I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                            that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                            but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                            on it there.

                            Ysolt
                            --
                            Ma�tresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP