Re: [KWChoir] PDFs of Pennsic 36 Program

  • Christine Bakken/Bridget
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18 10:05 PM
      Hey after looking at the songs.  I actually already knew 2 of the songs.

      Bridget

      "chrissings@..." <Chrissings@...> wrote:
      Yup.  Here ya go!
      Cantate Domino
      This is the Day
      Adoramus Te
      Psalm 96 Chantez a Dieu
      O Magnum Mysterium
      Musica Die Gans Lieblich Kunst
      Tu es Petrus

      -- HEL <helthehorrible@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Do you have the song order decided yet?

      HEL

      In Service to a Dream,

      Christine Bakken

      SCA Name: Bridget

      Where from: Northshield (Grand Forks, ND)

      TV dinner still cooling?

    • chrissings@juno.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 19 8:19 AM
          Let's This is the day
          and
          adroamus te

          lets see it's been few years since I did they last one but I still remember the latin,  So that is one not to worry about.
          I have never done geremen before its not very popular up here in ND.  But latin was.

          Christine

          -- Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

          Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
          in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

        • chrissings@juno.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 19 5:38 PM

              Here’s a stab at phonetically spelling Musica, Die ganz Lieblich Kunst. Pronounce all letters.

              Musica = Moo-si-ka short i

              Die = dee

              Ganz = gahntz G as in gate

              Lieblich = leeb-lich ch as in Scottish loch

              Kunst = koonst oo as in soon

              Ist = ist short i

              Ehrenwert = eh – wren – vert   eh is like slang for I can’t hear you.

              Zu = tzoo

              Halten = hall – ten

              Hat = hat a as in father

              Billig = bill – lig short I’s pronounch both L’s

              Allenthaben = ahl – lent – hahl – ben

              Gunst = goon-st

              Bei = bye

              Jungen = yoon-gen

              Und = oont

              Alten = all-ten

              Leidet = Lie – det

              Schmerz = schm – er - tz pronounce all letters. “er” as in early

              Tut = toot

              All = all

              Unmut = un – moot

              Vertreiben = Fer-try-ben

              Traurig = Traw-rig almost put a “K” in the “G”

              Niemand = Nee – man – d

              Bleiben = bli – ben long I

              Viel = Feel

              Elder = elder

              Kraft = craft

              Zie = zee

              Mitsich = mit-si-sh short i

              Bringt = bring-t

              Davon = da – fon

              Wir = veer

              Alle = all-le

              Zeu-gen = tzeu – gen  eu as in Sigmund Freud

              Durch = doer – ch  ch as above

              Hertze = Hertz – a  like the car company with “a” on the end.

              Dringt = I as in pin not English ing pronounce everything

              Ihr = ear

              Lieblichkeit = Lee-b-lich-kite

              Wer = Ver  er as in early

              Könnt = Kern – t

              Lob = Lobe

              Verschweigen = Fir – schwi – gen  long I in the middle sylable

              Es = Ess

              Müsst = Mers-st er as in early

              Doch = o as in doe ch as in Scottish loch

              Sein = sign

              Ein = as above without the S

              Harter = a as in father e as in tent

              Stein = as in vessel for beer Stine

              Der = short e like eh

              Sich = short I ch like loch

              Nicht = short I, ch like loch, t

              Liess = lee – ss

              Bewegen = Beh-vA-gen

              Wenn = venn

              Gesangtut = ge-song-toot

              Regen = ra – gen

              Drum = droom

              Wollen = vohl-len

              Heller = hell – ler

              Frau = fraw

              Stets = short e

              Preisen = prize – en

              Gewisslich = guh-vish-lish

              Immerdar = im-meer-dar

              Stimmt = stem – mt

              Erklingen = er – cling – en

              Den = Long German e almost dane

              Hört = hurt

              This covers most of the words and will not be completely accurate but will give you a good starting place.

              Geffrei

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 19 6:25 PM
                Thanks, Geffrei!

                My choir has been singing this piece for about a year now, and that was pretty accurate except that the words beginning with S usually don't sound like an English "S", but either a "Z" or an "Sh."  For example, "sein" and "sich" are pronounced "zine" (long i) and "zich" (short i, Scottish ch), while "stein," "stimmt" and "stets" are pronounced "shtine" (also long i), "shtimt" (short i) and "shtets" (short e).

                Arianna of Wynthrope (*not* Arianna Morgan) :-)

                • Katie Sadler-Stephenson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 20 8:48 AM
                    I would also add, don't be afraid of German, it's easier than it looks
                    because it's a consistent language. And one thing that is helpful
                    with words with "ie" or "ei" in them is just to pronounce the second
                    vowel. If it has "ei" it is "eye" as someone put it earlier and "ie"
                    is "eee". In college I always just used to cross out the first vowel
                    until I got really comfortable with that!

                    --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                    stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                    > Christine

                  • Lisa Briner
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 20 9:32 AM
                      My singer daughter learned it this way:
                      When the first vowel is walkin' - the second does the talkin'
                      (silly, but effective)

                      Ysabel

                      wrote:

                      > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                      stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                      > Christine

                    • erlannordenskald
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 20 9:22 PM
                        Hey all, Erlan here.
                        Just a heads up to all our members.
                        1) SPAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
                        2) Try and edit your posts by deleting the digests when answering or
                        replying to a post. Snip only the sections that refer to the topic.
                        3) Change the subject line only if you're changing the subject.
                        4)Be nice, be clean and be friendly
                        5) Organize files and pictures into your own folders.

                        that's all

                        just doing my job

                        Sing well, sing LOUD and sing often..........

                        WHEN IS AN ESTRELLA REPORT COMING IN??????????

                        erlandr
                      • chrissings@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 24 9:15 AM

                          Thanks guys.  No worries.  We will go over all pronunciations in rehearsal to ensure everyone is pronouncing things the same way.  I feel fairly comfortable with German and the Latin.

                          I don't feel quite as comfortable with French.  I avoided it like the plague in college to nasal sounding for me.

                          Is there anyone on the list who speaks french well enough to help out the ole director with the pronouciation of of Chantez a Dieu?

                          Thanks!

                          Arianna M.

                          Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

                          K�nnt = Kern � t
                          Lob = Lobe
                          Verschweigen = Fir � schwi � gen  long I in the middle sylable
                          Es = Ess
                          M�sst = Mers-st er as in early
[...]
                          H�rt = hurt

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 24 9:28 AM
                            I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                            that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                            but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                            on it there.

                            Ysolt
                            --
                            Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                            Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 24 10:00 AM

                              Merci Beaucoup (sp?) Madame Ysolt:

                              I will be a Kingdom A&S encouraging Pennsic Choir participation....among other things.

                              Master Corun loaned me a really nifty book that may help us "periodize" (I'm pretty sure that's not a real word - - but it gets the point accross) the modern French.

                              Your help is always appreciated.

                              See you next week!

                              Arianna M.

                              -- Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                              I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                              that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                              but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                              on it there.

                              Ysolt
                              --
                              Ma�tresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP