Re: [KWChoir] PDFs of Pennsic 36 Program

  • chrissings@juno.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2007

      Yup.  Here ya go!

      Cantate Domino

      This is the Day

      Adoramus Te

      Psalm 96 Chantez a Dieu

      O Magnum Mysterium

      Musica Die Gans Lieblich Kunst

      Tu es Petrus

      -- HEL <helthehorrible@...> wrote:

      Do you have the song order decided yet?

      HEL

    • Christine Bakken/Bridget
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18, 2007
        Hey after looking at the songs.  I actually already knew 2 of the songs.

        Bridget

        -- HEL <helthehorrible@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        Do you have the song order decided yet?

        HEL

        In Service to a Dream,

        Christine Bakken

        SCA Name: Bridget

        Where from: Northshield (Grand Forks, ND)

        TV dinner still cooling?

      • chrissings@juno.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
            Let's This is the day
            and
            adroamus te

            lets see it's been few years since I did they last one but I still remember the latin,  So that is one not to worry about.
            I have never done geremen before its not very popular up here in ND.  But latin was.

            Christine

            -- Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

            Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
            in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

          • chrissings@juno.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007

                Here’s a stab at phonetically spelling Musica, Die ganz Lieblich Kunst. Pronounce all letters.

                Musica = Moo-si-ka short i

                Die = dee

                Ganz = gahntz G as in gate

                Lieblich = leeb-lich ch as in Scottish loch

                Kunst = koonst oo as in soon

                Ist = ist short i

                Ehrenwert = eh – wren – vert   eh is like slang for I can’t hear you.

                Zu = tzoo

                Halten = hall – ten

                Hat = hat a as in father

                Billig = bill – lig short I’s pronounch both L’s

                Allenthaben = ahl – lent – hahl – ben

                Gunst = goon-st

                Bei = bye

                Jungen = yoon-gen

                Und = oont

                Alten = all-ten

                Leidet = Lie – det

                Schmerz = schm – er - tz pronounce all letters. “er” as in early

                Tut = toot

                All = all

                Unmut = un – moot

                Vertreiben = Fer-try-ben

                Traurig = Traw-rig almost put a “K” in the “G”

                Niemand = Nee – man – d

                Bleiben = bli – ben long I

                Viel = Feel

                Elder = elder

                Kraft = craft

                Zie = zee

                Mitsich = mit-si-sh short i

                Bringt = bring-t

                Davon = da – fon

                Wir = veer

                Alle = all-le

                Zeu-gen = tzeu – gen  eu as in Sigmund Freud

                Durch = doer – ch  ch as above

                Hertze = Hertz – a  like the car company with “a” on the end.

                Dringt = I as in pin not English ing pronounce everything

                Ihr = ear

                Lieblichkeit = Lee-b-lich-kite

                Wer = Ver  er as in early

                Könnt = Kern – t

                Lob = Lobe

                Verschweigen = Fir – schwi – gen  long I in the middle sylable

                Es = Ess

                Müsst = Mers-st er as in early

                Doch = o as in doe ch as in Scottish loch

                Sein = sign

                Ein = as above without the S

                Harter = a as in father e as in tent

                Stein = as in vessel for beer Stine

                Der = short e like eh

                Sich = short I ch like loch

                Nicht = short I, ch like loch, t

                Liess = lee – ss

                Bewegen = Beh-vA-gen

                Wenn = venn

                Gesangtut = ge-song-toot

                Regen = ra – gen

                Drum = droom

                Wollen = vohl-len

                Heller = hell – ler

                Frau = fraw

                Stets = short e

                Preisen = prize – en

                Gewisslich = guh-vish-lish

                Immerdar = im-meer-dar

                Stimmt = stem – mt

                Erklingen = er – cling – en

                Den = Long German e almost dane

                Hört = hurt

                This covers most of the words and will not be completely accurate but will give you a good starting place.

                Geffrei

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
                  Thanks, Geffrei!

                  My choir has been singing this piece for about a year now, and that was pretty accurate except that the words beginning with S usually don't sound like an English "S", but either a "Z" or an "Sh."  For example, "sein" and "sich" are pronounced "zine" (long i) and "zich" (short i, Scottish ch), while "stein," "stimmt" and "stets" are pronounced "shtine" (also long i), "shtimt" (short i) and "shtets" (short e).

                  Arianna of Wynthrope (*not* Arianna Morgan) :-)

                  • Katie Sadler-Stephenson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                      I would also add, don't be afraid of German, it's easier than it looks
                      because it's a consistent language. And one thing that is helpful
                      with words with "ie" or "ei" in them is just to pronounce the second
                      vowel. If it has "ei" it is "eye" as someone put it earlier and "ie"
                      is "eee". In college I always just used to cross out the first vowel
                      until I got really comfortable with that!

                      --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                      stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                      > Christine

                    • Lisa Briner
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                        My singer daughter learned it this way:
                        When the first vowel is walkin' - the second does the talkin'
                        (silly, but effective)

                        Ysabel

                        wrote:

                        > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                        stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                        > Christine

                      • erlannordenskald
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                          Hey all, Erlan here.
                          Just a heads up to all our members.
                          1) SPAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
                          2) Try and edit your posts by deleting the digests when answering or
                          replying to a post. Snip only the sections that refer to the topic.
                          3) Change the subject line only if you're changing the subject.
                          4)Be nice, be clean and be friendly
                          5) Organize files and pictures into your own folders.

                          that's all

                          just doing my job

                          Sing well, sing LOUD and sing often..........

                          WHEN IS AN ESTRELLA REPORT COMING IN??????????

                          erlandr
                        • chrissings@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                            Thanks guys.  No worries.  We will go over all pronunciations in rehearsal to ensure everyone is pronouncing things the same way.  I feel fairly comfortable with German and the Latin.

                            I don't feel quite as comfortable with French.  I avoided it like the plague in college to nasal sounding for me.

                            Is there anyone on the list who speaks french well enough to help out the ole director with the pronouciation of of Chantez a Dieu?

                            Thanks!

                            Arianna M.

                            Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

                            K�nnt = Kern � t
                            Lob = Lobe
                            Verschweigen = Fir � schwi � gen  long I in the middle sylable
                            Es = Ess
                            M�sst = Mers-st er as in early
[...]
                            H�rt = hurt

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007
                              I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                              that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                              but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                              on it there.

                              Ysolt
                              --
                              Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                              Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                                Merci Beaucoup (sp?) Madame Ysolt:

                                I will be a Kingdom A&S encouraging Pennsic Choir participation....among other things.

                                Master Corun loaned me a really nifty book that may help us "periodize" (I'm pretty sure that's not a real word - - but it gets the point accross) the modern French.

                                Your help is always appreciated.

                                See you next week!

                                Arianna M.

                                -- Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                                I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                                that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                                but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                                on it there.

                                Ysolt
                                --
                                Ma�tresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP