Skip to search.

Re: [KWChoir] PDFs of Pennsic 36 Program

  • HEL
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2007
      Do you have the song order decided yet?

      HEL
    • chrissings@juno.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18, 2007

        Yup.  Here ya go!

        Cantate Domino

        This is the Day

        Adoramus Te

        Psalm 96 Chantez a Dieu

        O Magnum Mysterium

        Musica Die Gans Lieblich Kunst

        Tu es Petrus

        -- HEL <helthehorrible@...> wrote:

        Do you have the song order decided yet?

        HEL

      • Christine Bakken/Bridget
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 18, 2007
          Hey after looking at the songs.  I actually already knew 2 of the songs.

          Bridget

          -- HEL <helthehorrible@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          Do you have the song order decided yet?

          HEL

          In Service to a Dream,

          Christine Bakken

          SCA Name: Bridget

          Where from: Northshield (Grand Forks, ND)

          TV dinner still cooling?

        • chrissings@juno.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
              Let's This is the day
              and
              adroamus te

              lets see it's been few years since I did they last one but I still remember the latin,  So that is one not to worry about.
              I have never done geremen before its not very popular up here in ND.  But latin was.

              Christine

              -- Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@yahoo. com> wrote:
[...]

              Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
              in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

            • chrissings@juno.com

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007

                  Here’s a stab at phonetically spelling Musica, Die ganz Lieblich Kunst. Pronounce all letters.

                  Musica = Moo-si-ka short i

                  Die = dee

                  Ganz = gahntz G as in gate

                  Lieblich = leeb-lich ch as in Scottish loch

                  Kunst = koonst oo as in soon

                  Ist = ist short i

                  Ehrenwert = eh – wren – vert   eh is like slang for I can’t hear you.

                  Zu = tzoo

                  Halten = hall – ten

                  Hat = hat a as in father

                  Billig = bill – lig short I’s pronounch both L’s

                  Allenthaben = ahl – lent – hahl – ben

                  Gunst = goon-st

                  Bei = bye

                  Jungen = yoon-gen

                  Und = oont

                  Alten = all-ten

                  Leidet = Lie – det

                  Schmerz = schm – er - tz pronounce all letters. “er” as in early

                  Tut = toot

                  All = all

                  Unmut = un – moot

                  Vertreiben = Fer-try-ben

                  Traurig = Traw-rig almost put a “K” in the “G”

                  Niemand = Nee – man – d

                  Bleiben = bli – ben long I

                  Viel = Feel

                  Elder = elder

                  Kraft = craft

                  Zie = zee

                  Mitsich = mit-si-sh short i

                  Bringt = bring-t

                  Davon = da – fon

                  Wir = veer

                  Alle = all-le

                  Zeu-gen = tzeu – gen  eu as in Sigmund Freud

                  Durch = doer – ch  ch as above

                  Hertze = Hertz – a  like the car company with “a” on the end.

                  Dringt = I as in pin not English ing pronounce everything

                  Ihr = ear

                  Lieblichkeit = Lee-b-lich-kite

                  Wer = Ver  er as in early

                  Könnt = Kern – t

                  Lob = Lobe

                  Verschweigen = Fir – schwi – gen  long I in the middle sylable

                  Es = Ess

                  Müsst = Mers-st er as in early

                  Doch = o as in doe ch as in Scottish loch

                  Sein = sign

                  Ein = as above without the S

                  Harter = a as in father e as in tent

                  Stein = as in vessel for beer Stine

                  Der = short e like eh

                  Sich = short I ch like loch

                  Nicht = short I, ch like loch, t

                  Liess = lee – ss

                  Bewegen = Beh-vA-gen

                  Wenn = venn

                  Gesangtut = ge-song-toot

                  Regen = ra – gen

                  Drum = droom

                  Wollen = vohl-len

                  Heller = hell – ler

                  Frau = fraw

                  Stets = short e

                  Preisen = prize – en

                  Gewisslich = guh-vish-lish

                  Immerdar = im-meer-dar

                  Stimmt = stem – mt

                  Erklingen = er – cling – en

                  Den = Long German e almost dane

                  Hört = hurt

                  This covers most of the words and will not be completely accurate but will give you a good starting place.

                  Geffrei

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
                    Thanks, Geffrei!

                    My choir has been singing this piece for about a year now, and that was pretty accurate except that the words beginning with S usually don't sound like an English "S", but either a "Z" or an "Sh."  For example, "sein" and "sich" are pronounced "zine" (long i) and "zich" (short i, Scottish ch), while "stein," "stimmt" and "stets" are pronounced "shtine" (also long i), "shtimt" (short i) and "shtets" (short e).

                    Arianna of Wynthrope (*not* Arianna Morgan) :-)

                    • Katie Sadler-Stephenson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                        I would also add, don't be afraid of German, it's easier than it looks
                        because it's a consistent language. And one thing that is helpful
                        with words with "ie" or "ei" in them is just to pronounce the second
                        vowel. If it has "ei" it is "eye" as someone put it earlier and "ie"
                        is "eee". In college I always just used to cross out the first vowel
                        until I got really comfortable with that!

                        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, Christine Bakken/Bridget <clysne@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                        stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                        > Christine

                      • Lisa Briner
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                          My singer daughter learned it this way:
                          When the first vowel is walkin' - the second does the talkin'
                          (silly, but effective)

                          Ysabel

                          wrote:

                          > I very much thank you both for your help. I will certainly take a
                          stab at it. by summer I might even get it.

                          > Christine

                        • erlannordenskald
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 20, 2007
                            Hey all, Erlan here.
                            Just a heads up to all our members.
                            1) SPAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
                            2) Try and edit your posts by deleting the digests when answering or
                            replying to a post. Snip only the sections that refer to the topic.
                            3) Change the subject line only if you're changing the subject.
                            4)Be nice, be clean and be friendly
                            5) Organize files and pictures into your own folders.

                            that's all

                            just doing my job

                            Sing well, sing LOUD and sing often..........

                            WHEN IS AN ESTRELLA REPORT COMING IN??????????

                            erlandr
                          • chrissings@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                              Thanks guys.  No worries.  We will go over all pronunciations in rehearsal to ensure everyone is pronouncing things the same way.  I feel fairly comfortable with German and the Latin.

                              I don't feel quite as comfortable with French.  I avoided it like the plague in college to nasal sounding for me.

                              Is there anyone on the list who speaks french well enough to help out the ole director with the pronouciation of of Chantez a Dieu?

                              Thanks!

                              Arianna M.

                              Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

                              K�nnt = Kern � t
                              Lob = Lobe
                              Verschweigen = Fir � schwi � gen  long I in the middle sylable
                              Es = Ess
                              M�sst = Mers-st er as in early
[...]
                              H�rt = hurt

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007
                                I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                                that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                                but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                                on it there.

                                Ysolt
                                --
                                Maîtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
                                Barony of Windmasters' Hill
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 24, 2007

                                  Merci Beaucoup (sp?) Madame Ysolt:

                                  I will be a Kingdom A&S encouraging Pennsic Choir participation....among other things.

                                  Master Corun loaned me a really nifty book that may help us "periodize" (I'm pretty sure that's not a real word - - but it gets the point accross) the modern French.

                                  Your help is always appreciated.

                                  See you next week!

                                  Arianna M.

                                  -- Ysolt la Bretonne <ysolt@...> wrote:

                                  I was a French major in college (mumble, mumble) years ago. Of course
                                  that was modern French. I am *acquainted* with period pronunciation,
                                  but no expert. Will you be at KASF next week? We could do a first pass
                                  on it there.

                                  Ysolt
                                  --
                                  Ma�tresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP