Re: [KWChoir] Christmas Carol recommendation

  • Ysolt la Bretonne
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      Also from CPDL/CIPOO.net is Noel by Eustache Du Caurroy. My madrigal
      group sang it last Christmas and I sang it during my hand surgery the
      next week. At least it is what I was singing when I came out of the
      happy drugs in recovery.

      Ysolt
      --
      MaƮtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
      Barony of Windmasters' Hill
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006

        Hi all,

        In the spirit of song recommendations, my barony’s quire has indexed our music library on the web.  It is indexed in several ways, by title, language, time period, theme, composers and parts.  The “Yuletide and Winter” theme contains most of our Christmas carols as well as other appropriate seasonal songs.  Here’s the link: http://mixolydian.org/quire/library.html.  Most of the songs are period with a few just post period.  I’ve picked some of these and some from other places for our Winter Bardic Ball in December, but I don’t have that list with me at work.  I’ll send it later.

        Being relatively new to the SCA, I don’t know whether these are commonly known in to be period: “Wie schoen leuchtet der Morgenstern” and “Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme” by Philipp Nicolai, published in 1599.  Both hymns were later altered by Bach, and Bach turned one into a cantata while Mendelssohn injected the other into an oratorio.  However, there is a microfilm copy of a 1617 edition of the book they’re in (Der Freuden Spiegel des Ewigen Lebens??) that I got through interlibrary loan.  Only the melody line is in the book.  The rhythm and portions of the tunes are different from the Bach versions.  The tune for Wachet auf is supposedly adapted from an earlier tune by Hans Sachs, but I’ve never been able to find it.  They are possibly appropriate for advent (Wachet auf) or epiphany (Wie schoen leuchtet) which puts them in the Christmas/Yule season.

        In Service,

        Rosina von Schaffhausen

        --

        Dr. Victoria Sapko