Christmas Carol recommendation

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      This is for all the other choral directors out there.  I don't know about you, but I am always looking for fresh music appropriate for 12th Night.  Many Christmas carols that people think of as "early" are really out of period, so it can be a challenge.

      The Debatable Choir, which I direct, has a few old favorites: Riu Riu Chiu, Personent Hodie, Veni Veni Emmanuel, Coventry Carol, Nowell Sing We, Psallite Unigenito, Es Ist Ein Ros Entsprungen, and such, but this week I found one I had not encountered before: "Dies Est Laetitiae" by Guillielmus Messaus.  We ran through it last night and it was pretty easy to learn, lively and upbeat, so I thought I would pass it along.  Here's the link that I got from the Choral Public Domain Library (www.cpdl.org):

      Enjoy!

      "I told myself that acts of folly are the only things that one doesn't regret in life." - Jean-Paul Guyot

      "I believe in the indomitable human spirit and the amazing capacity we have for understanding the world; for love, joy and happiness." - Michael Shermer

    • Ysolt la Bretonne
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
        Also from CPDL/CIPOO.net is Noel by Eustache Du Caurroy. My madrigal
        group sang it last Christmas and I sang it during my hand surgery the
        next week. At least it is what I was singing when I came out of the
        happy drugs in recovery.

        Ysolt
        --
        MaƮtresse Ysolt la Bretonne, OP
        Barony of Windmasters' Hill
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006

          Hi all,

          In the spirit of song recommendations, my barony’s quire has indexed our music library on the web.  It is indexed in several ways, by title, language, time period, theme, composers and parts.  The “Yuletide and Winter” theme contains most of our Christmas carols as well as other appropriate seasonal songs.  Here’s the link: http://mixolydian.org/quire/library.html.  Most of the songs are period with a few just post period.  I’ve picked some of these and some from other places for our Winter Bardic Ball in December, but I don’t have that list with me at work.  I’ll send it later.

          Being relatively new to the SCA, I don’t know whether these are commonly known in to be period: “Wie schoen leuchtet der Morgenstern” and “Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme” by Philipp Nicolai, published in 1599.  Both hymns were later altered by Bach, and Bach turned one into a cantata while Mendelssohn injected the other into an oratorio.  However, there is a microfilm copy of a 1617 edition of the book they’re in (Der Freuden Spiegel des Ewigen Lebens??) that I got through interlibrary loan.  Only the melody line is in the book.  The rhythm and portions of the tunes are different from the Bach versions.  The tune for Wachet auf is supposedly adapted from an earlier tune by Hans Sachs, but I’ve never been able to find it.  They are possibly appropriate for advent (Wachet auf) or epiphany (Wie schoen leuchtet) which puts them in the Christmas/Yule season.

          In Service,

          Rosina von Schaffhausen

          --

          Dr. Victoria Sapko