Re: [KWChoir] Mother -in-law Stories

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
      "Quand Mon Mary Viens de Dehors" is a di Lasso piece about an old husband who beats his young wife...

      And on a much less OT note, I want to thank Duchess Myfanwy and Duke Corin, who sent me audio files of most of the pieces from the Pennsic Choir concert.  I was able to upload some of them to the KWC Yahoo Group site, but the files were big and I ran out of room.  I will see if I have space on my own website and get them up as soon as I can.  In the mean time, you can access the four pieces I did successfully upload here.

      Enjoy.

      Arianna

      Ariadne & Reynard <hedgehog_hollow@...> wrote:
      Are there any medieval songs about family problems?
      Ariadne
      .

      Karen Kasper

      "I told myself that acts of folly are the only things that one doesn't regret in life." - Jean-Paul Guyot

      "I believe in the indomitable human spirit and the amazing capacity we have for understanding the world; for love, joy and happiness." - Michael Shermer

    • Sapphira the Navigator
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
        I'm sure that there are lots of period songs.
        How's this for lyrics:

        Beyond the water dwells my beloved,
        Nor can I ever see her a single time,
        And all for an arrogant old hag,
        Who keeps her ever in chamber closed:
        O cantankerous, crazy hag,
        Wretched, dirty filthy,
        Dragon-faced, enraged hag,
        You keep my beloved hidden;
        Whether you will or no,
        I will have her,
        She will have me.

        "Dilla da l'aqua"
        Francesco Patavino, 1526
        Music for Crumhorns, book 1
        London Pro Musica LPM MCR1 1981

        Sapphira, once known as Blue

        --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Ariadne & Reynard"
        <hedgehog_hollow@...> wrote:

        > Are there any medieval songs about family problems?
        > Ariadne

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
          --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Ariadne & Reynard" <hedgehog_hollow@...> wrote:

          > Are there any medieval songs about family problems?
          > Ariadne

          It's a stretch, but how 'bout "Il est bel est bon" (about a hen-pecked husband)? I'm sure we
          can think of others... as long as we can include examples from the 16th century. :-)

          Susanna de l'Essart
          newly arrived in Calontir
        • Kimberly
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
            Thank you! I was growing a bit uncomfortable with the Mothers-in-law  thread. However, I DO like the thread that continued re: period music about old hags and henpecked husbands! LOL   Perhaps the email subject line could be discontinued, as well?
            Lady Luisiuil of the Willows
            *who signed up to sing at Pennsic, but was not well enough to do so. Maybe next year?*

            Pam Gibbs <cathryns43081@...> wrote:
            Gilane,

            The KWChoir group is NOT the appropriate place to complain about family matters.
            There are other groups for that.

            Mom

          • Kimberly
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
              Thank you so much for uploading the music files from Pennsic. You all sounded awesome! Wish I had been part of it....

              Luisiuil

              Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2?/min or less.