RE: [KWChoir] Mother -in-law Stories

  • Geffrei Maudeleyne
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006

      Thank you.

      Geffrei

      From: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Pam Gibbs
      Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 2:42 PM
      To: KWChoir@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [KWChoir] Mother -in-law Stories

      Gilane,

      The KWChoir group is NOT the appropriate place to complain about family matters.

      There are other groups for that.

      Mom

    • Ariadne & Reynard
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
        Are there any medieval songs about family problems?
        Ariadne

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
          "Quand Mon Mary Viens de Dehors" is a di Lasso piece about an old husband who beats his young wife...

          And on a much less OT note, I want to thank Duchess Myfanwy and Duke Corin, who sent me audio files of most of the pieces from the Pennsic Choir concert.  I was able to upload some of them to the KWC Yahoo Group site, but the files were big and I ran out of room.  I will see if I have space on my own website and get them up as soon as I can.  In the mean time, you can access the four pieces I did successfully upload here.

          Enjoy.

          Arianna

          Ariadne & Reynard <hedgehog_hollow@...> wrote:
          Are there any medieval songs about family problems?
          Ariadne
          .

          Karen Kasper

          "I told myself that acts of folly are the only things that one doesn't regret in life." - Jean-Paul Guyot

          "I believe in the indomitable human spirit and the amazing capacity we have for understanding the world; for love, joy and happiness." - Michael Shermer

        • Sapphira the Navigator
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
            I'm sure that there are lots of period songs.
            How's this for lyrics:

            Beyond the water dwells my beloved,
            Nor can I ever see her a single time,
            And all for an arrogant old hag,
            Who keeps her ever in chamber closed:
            O cantankerous, crazy hag,
            Wretched, dirty filthy,
            Dragon-faced, enraged hag,
            You keep my beloved hidden;
            Whether you will or no,
            I will have her,
            She will have me.

            "Dilla da l'aqua"
            Francesco Patavino, 1526
            Music for Crumhorns, book 1
            London Pro Musica LPM MCR1 1981

            Sapphira, once known as Blue

            --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Ariadne & Reynard"
            <hedgehog_hollow@...> wrote:

            > Are there any medieval songs about family problems?
            > Ariadne

          • Suzanne
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
              --- In KWChoir@yahoogroups.com, "Ariadne & Reynard" <hedgehog_hollow@...> wrote:

              > Are there any medieval songs about family problems?
              > Ariadne

              It's a stretch, but how 'bout "Il est bel est bon" (about a hen-pecked husband)? I'm sure we
              can think of others... as long as we can include examples from the 16th century. :-)

              Susanna de l'Essart
              newly arrived in Calontir
            • Kimberly
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                Thank you! I was growing a bit uncomfortable with the Mothers-in-law  thread. However, I DO like the thread that continued re: period music about old hags and henpecked husbands! LOL   Perhaps the email subject line could be discontinued, as well?
                Lady Luisiuil of the Willows
                *who signed up to sing at Pennsic, but was not well enough to do so. Maybe next year?*

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                  Thank you so much for uploading the music files from Pennsic. You all sounded awesome! Wish I had been part of it....

                  Luisiuil

                  Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2?/min or less.