Looking for music recommendations

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
      Hi folks!  I am looking for suggestions from the Known World Choir brain trust. :-)

      My baronial choir will be performing at an Agincourt-themed event in about a month.  We already have a couple of appropriate pieces (obviously the Agincourt carol, and another, similar piece, plus an earlier one).

      I'd like to add one more piece to the repertoire, preferably something French.  The problem is that I'm coming up empty on my searches, even in the Choral Wiki.  The Battle of Agincourt happened in 1415.  Machaut is too early, Josquin and Dufay too late.  Binchois is a little late but close - as in, at least he had already been born when the battle happened.

      I'm looking for something short, not too hard to learn (since we only have a month - so no hocket or other weird rhythms) and appropriate for the Agincourt theme. Ars Nova might be nice. We can do up to 4 part; we have several basses plus a couple of female tenors in addition to the usual array of sopranos and altos. Any suggestions?

      Hopefully,

      "I told myself that acts of folly are the only things that one doesn't regret in life." - Jean-Paul Guyot

      "I believe in the indomitable human spirit and the amazing capacity we have for understanding the world; for love, joy and happiness." - Michael Shermer

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
        --- Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks! I am looking for suggestions from the
        > Known World Choir brain trust. :-)
        >
        > My baronial choir will be performing at an
        > Agincourt-themed event in about a month. We already
        > have a couple of appropriate pieces (obviously the
        > Agincourt carol, and another, similar piece, plus an
        > earlier one).
        >
        > I'd like to add one more piece to the repertoire,
        > preferably something French. The problem is that
        > I'm coming up empty on my searches, even in the
        > Choral Wiki. The Battle of Agincourt happened in
        > 1415. Machaut is too early, Josquin and Dufay too
        > late. Binchois is a little late but close - as in,
        > at least he had already been born when the battle
        > happened.
        >
        > I'm looking for something short, not too hard to
        > learn (since we only have a month - so no hocket or
        > other weird rhythms) and appropriate for the
        > Agincourt theme. Ars Nova might be nice. We can do
        > up to 4 part; we have several basses plus a couple
        > of female tenors in addition to the usual array of
        > sopranos and altos. Any suggestions?

        Try Dunstable; he's the right time period. HAM also
        has a piece by Guillame Legrant(#56 p60) who
        flourished in 1419 apparently - looks pretty easy.
        I'll let you know if I find anything else.

        Gwendolyn of Middlemarch/Jennifer

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2006
          Thanks Gwendolyn!  I have a couple of Dunstable pieces ("O Rosa Bella" and "Quam Pulchra Es") but of course he's English and they already get their say in the Agincourt Carol. :-)

          Guillaume Legrant sounds like a possibility, though I have to shamefacedly admit that I've never sprung for a copy of the HAM so I'll have to hit the library to look at that one - no sheet music online that I can find, though there are a few bios.

          And of course, I misspoke - Dufay, like Binchois, was already born by the time of the battle, but he was only 18 so he probably hadn't written much yet in 1415.  In any case, we'll be singing his "Ave Regina Coelorum."

          Arianna

          Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

          --- Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Hi folks! I am looking for suggestions from the
          > Known World Choir brain trust. :-)
          >
          > My baronial choir will be performing at an
          > Agincourt-themed event in about a month. We already
          > have a couple of appropriate pieces (obviously the
          > Agincourt carol, and another, similar piece, plus an
          > earlier one).

          Try Dunstable; he's the right time period. HAM also
          has a piece by Guillame Legrant(#56 p60) who
          flourished in 1419 apparently - looks pretty easy.
          I'll let you know if I find anything else.

          Gwendolyn of Middlemarch/ Jennifer
          .

          Karen Kasper