Thanks for the Invitation

  • Molly Hathaway
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2004
      Greetings to the List! I've only been able to sing with the KWChoir
      a couple of times, but it was a very rewarding experience. My name
      is Mistress Molly Hathaway, I belong to an early music ensemble in
      Calontir called Guido's Hand, and we recently tried to reinsititute
      a Kingdom-wide choir for our yule time event, Kris Kinder. We had
      40+ participate even though it was done kind of last minute, and we
      all sounded wonderful! Unfortunately, our performance venue SUCKED
      and people were milling about talking, making it difficult for those
      who wanted to to hear the concert. We will be attempting to have a
      Known World Choir for Lilies this year also, if we can get ourselves
      on the ball in time. If any of you are planning to do Lilies and
      would be interested, PLEASE let me know. I am going to try to get
      HL Brice subscribed to this list (he's our director for Guido's Hand
      and will most likely direct KWC at Lilies) He's wonderful! Anyway,
      I hope this post isn't stepping on anyone's Pennsic toes...I don't
      mean to, I just think we should all work together at every possible
      juncture to foster and improve choral activities in the SCA. I will
      probably not be able to make Pennsic this year, but I know I will in
      future and wish to be connected with all the choral folk possible in
      the Known World!

      Molly
    • Maria Daggett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2004
        Hello and welcome to the list!! I am not familiar
        with Lillies......but I assume it's a Calontir type of
        Major Event. And I for one would like to see the
        Known World CHoir type thing progress. Just because
        it's been at Pennsic year after year after
        year........lol, doesn't mean that there can't still
        be other opportunities for a choir of SCA meembers
        from all over the world. I wish you luck and of
        course if there is anything that I can do, I'll be
        glad too.

        I am starting a Kingdom Wide Choir here in The East.
        I've gotten all the ground work inplace and it's
        called the EKChoral. I know, kinda corny, but, hey,
        that's Erlan.

        So, if anyone in the East is interested, it will be
        run sort of like the KWC, but on a Kingdom level.

        Molly, Good luck with the KWC at Lillies and do tell
        more of the event........

        peace

      • Molly Hathaway
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2004
          Hi!  Thanks for the support!  To answer you queries about Lilies:  the War of the Lilies is a Calontir's largest event and draws people from all over the Known World.  It is held the second full week in June each year at Smithville Lake near Kansas City, MO, and it is a lovely site with TONS of camping room, a BIG lake to swim in, a full week-long schedule of A&S classes, A&S demos (like our paper mill and a pottery workshop with ovens built on site, etc.), displays and competitions, full children's programs like the Pages School, tons of battles and tourneys, archery, Performing Arts concerts, plays, bardic stuff, lots of shopping, and MAJOR parties every night, (the best one is hosted by Aston Tor, called Tor Tuesday, with a FULLY stocked bar *FREE* and exquisite food served all night long) and there's even a fantastic ultra professional fireworks display on Friday evening.  It is a 10 day event running this year from Friday the 11th through Sunday the 20th (it always ends on Fathers day.)  While it is not yet as big a Pennsic, it has much in it's favor in that the site fee for the whole thing is still only like $30 per person (maybe even only $25, not sure about this year) and we still believe in the honor system here, so there's no gestapo accosting people for their site tokens upon entry, etc.  It is a lovely site with green grass, lots of trees, and as I said a big lake and plenty of room for as big a camp site as you want to have...no land-o-crats telling you "you can only have 225 square feet, and this is where you will set up."  And Calontir is a very friendly Kingdom.  We anticipate about 3000 this year, so it's a good sized war, but not as huge as Pennsic, and admittedly, not as many merchants...but that's about the only thing we are really much smaller in, and even still we have 2 merchants sections with I'd guess more than 60 different merchants booths/pavillions on site.

          At any rate, we had a preliminary meeting about doing a Known World Choir at Lilies this year and we are setting up the website and music right now so people can just go to the site and download both the written and recorded music (done in Noteworthy...there will be format options where you can pick which part you want emphasized on the recordings where the other parts can still be heard, so you can hear it in context, but your part is louder to help in learning parts) and when it's up and running, I will post the URL.  We will probably do it off our Guido's Hand website (which is not up yet.)  I think we will even include a link for downloading the freeware version of Noteworthy.  Are there plans to do this for the KWC-Pennsic?  Noteworthy's a cool and simple to use tool for getting the music out there for people to start learning stuff.  I'm techno-challenged and it's even relatively easy for me to use!  The only difficulty I have run into in using it is when I'm setting music, getting text underlay just right (I think it just takes practice!), but thankfully, I'm not the one doing it!

          Well, I've blathered on more than long enough!  Thanks for doing this list...I think it's going to be awesome to be interconnected with others in the SCA Choral/Music community.

          Molly

          Maria Daggett <daggett42@...> wrote:
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?