Amor con fortuna

  • kathyvs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2006
      One more thing -- I was listening to the midi for 'Amor con fortuna'
      and I notices that it was a third low. All the other pieces were fine,
      so this is probably not a function of my computer. Can anyone else
      verify this?

      -Elsbeth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2006
        You are very observant.  I hadn't noticed it, and I can't explain why it's happening, but you're right, Amor Con Fortuna's midi files are playing the piece a third lower than written.

        As you probably figured out by the title on the piece, Amor Con Fortuna was originally a third lower.  I transposed it up to make it more comfortable for the sopranos.  For some reason, even though the notation is correct in the computer file, the audio pitch didn't transpose with the notes.

        My apologies if this has caused anyone any difficulty.  If you play an instrument, you may want to try playing your line to see what it sounds like in the key as written in the PDF files.  Sopranos who may have been struggling with their part will probably be happy to hear it that minor third higher.

        Also, I have uploaded a new PDF of Mariam Matrem with the B#'s changed to C naturals, though this has no effect on the midi files.  I got that particular piece of music from a friend in another kingdom and I think she may have transposed it from its original key, as well, which would explain how it ended up with B#'s.  For those who have been confused by this discussion, the change make NO DIFFERENCE to the pitch you sing, it's just a case of non-standard notation that made a hash of things from a music theory standpoint, and may have been a little confusing to people trying to sight-read the piece.

        I am looking forward to seeing (and hearing!) you all at Pennsic!

        Arianna