Re: [KWChoir] Need someone to record Pennsic concert

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
      Thanks Hel.  That would be very nice, and I would like to have a video of the performance as well.

      However, I think what Duchess Myfanwy and Duke Corin are requesting is something like semi-pro level *audio* equipment, as opposed to video.  Your Grace, please correct me if I'm wrong.

      Arianna

      HEL <helthehorrible@...> wrote:
      I will be bringing my video camera with me and have no
      problem letting someone use it to record the concert.

      HEL

      "I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Professor Bernardo de la Paz in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert A. Heinlein.

    • Julia Kathan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2006
        From Corin:
        Arianna is correct that am I talking about audio recording equipment.
        Good amateur or semi-pro level characterizes it well. Video equipment
        generally has the microphones built in and they are overwhelmed by
        nearby sound, such as the person next to you coughing.  Video recorders
        also concentrate more on the image than the sound quality.  I am hoping
        to get good microphones close enough to the choir to get a clear, high-quality
        audio recording.  Thank you, however, for the kind offer.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
          One of my pet projects to finish this year is to take the best of the
          KWC. I have 5 years of recordings.... and all but 1 is mixed and
          mastered. I did all the recordings on a mini-disc with one stereo
          microphone. It's not the most perfect, but it does a nice clean
          overhead recording. Then I get home, dump it into ProTools and fix it
          up a bit.
          I will do the same for this year's concert if you'd like. I can
          then turn over the mini-disc to you Arianna, or take it home, and fix
          it up a bit.

          My plan was to put out a KWC CD after this year for members.

          If you want me to do the mini-disc recording.. I will be happy too.
          I'll be there any way.

          I can also just take it home and make a direct copy of the cd for
          anyone who wants one.

          erlan
        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
            Quoting daggett42 <daggett42@...>:

            *snippage*

            > I can also just take it home and make a direct copy of the cd for
            > anyone who wants one.

            Well, I've never had the priveledge of singing with the group, but I'd
            love copies of any CDs that you make -- if it's possible.

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            University of Tennessee
          • gertrudethemutilator
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
              I just checked in for the first time in a week, so sorry for being
              late to this thread.
              I'm a professional horn player, and when I record I use an SM58- to an
              edirol UA25 audio bus- to my laptop (which has powertracks and
              Cakewalk.) That'll make sense to the audiophile. If you have either
              of those programs we could burn the raw audio to disk and you can edit
              in your studio.
              I will be travelling with all that equipment anyway, but I only have
              the one mic and I didn't bring the stand. It does require a power
              outlet as it drains a lot of power and probably won't make the whole
              concert otherwise.
              I am still working under the assumption that I will be there, of which
              I have every intention, but am half expecting something to come up as
              it seems to every year.
              Feel free to email offlist if desired.
              -Beth
            • daggett42
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
                I read the post and the only thing that really registered was "HORN
                PLAYER"
                So am I
                Mistress Arianna and I chatted and I'm going to record the concert the
                same way as I did the last few. High End Stereo mike into a 16 bit
                mini-disc (battery operated)
                Bringing high end audio equipment would be a chance. You can
                never tell the weather at war and even though there is a storage
                trailer there, I would be hesitant to store my Hard Disk and expensive
                mikes in there.
                I know it's not as high end as I could get at home, but the last
                few recordings have been, OK, pretty good quality for what it is.
                I am careful with the Mike placement and I use the support post to
                create it's own sound baffle from the audience.
                It will also mean that all the recordings from the last few years will
                be about the same quality.
                I come home and then transfer the recording to digital medium and mix
                it on pro tools in my brother's studio and master it and then burn it
                to CD. Takes me a while to do it since I'm lazy and never have time
                for ANYTHING, but I eventually get it done.

                So, there it is. Besides, I then have an archival recording of the KWC
                for the purpose of..... history.

                Erlan

                checked in for the first time in a week, so sorry for being
                > late to this thread.
                > I'm a professional horn player, and when I record I use an SM58- to an
                > edirol UA25 audio bus- to my laptop (which has powertracks and
                > Cakewalk.) That'll make sense to the audiophile. If you have either
                > of those programs we could burn the raw audio to disk and you can edit
                > in your studio.
                > I will be travelling with all that equipment anyway, but I only have
                > the one mic and I didn't bring the stand. It does require a power
                > outlet as it drains a lot of power and probably won't make the whole
                > concert otherwise.
                > I am still working under the assumption that I will be there, of which
                > I have every intention, but am half expecting something to come up as
                > it seems to every year.
                > Feel free to email offlist if desired.
                > -Beth

              • harpadillo

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2006
                    Niamh
                    Thank you, that is very kind of you to offer. I'm going to go with
                    the KISS method! I'd feel better if you left home the mikes and
                    stands. Pennsic generates enough stuff in a vehicle, no need to bring
                    along mundane gear as well.

                    Erlan
                  • gertrudethemutilator
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                      Time for my weekly checkin.
                      Well, I am of course bringing the horn to Pennsic, gotta keep the
                      chops up as there are auditions after, and I always love playing
                      duets, and will have all my ensemble music with me - horn duets,
                      quartets, octets, brass quartets and quintets, as well as woodwind
                      quintets, so if you or anyone else out there is interested in some jam
                      sessions, bring a stand and a horn! (pardon the run on sentence.)
                      see you there!
                      -beth