Need someone to record Pennsic concert

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
      Greetings!  I received the following missive from Duchess Myfanwy ferch Elys of the Middle Kingdom.  She will b singing soprano with us and would like a recording of our Pennsic concert, as would I.  Her husband, Duke Corin, is willing to record it but needs appropriate equipment.  If any of you have such equipment, or know someone else who does, that you are willing to bring to Pennsic and either lend to his Grace or run yourself, please let us know.

      Thanks to her Grace for the suggestion!

      Arianna

      --------------------------------

      Greetings Arianna,

      I would love to have a recording of the Known World Choir performance at Pennsic-I expect I am not the only person who would be interested. I know someone tried to record us last year and then had battery problems.

      My husband, who has done a lot of recording over the years, has been checking on the cost of renting equipment to record us. While we do have some equipment here at home, none of it is portable. Unfortunately, because we would be at Pennsic for so long, the cost would be pretty awful-about $200.00. Do you think there are people in the choir who would have equipment he could use to make the recording?

      Here, I will let him explain some various ways that he could record us.

      Corin:

      I expect with all the musical people in the choir, someone may have portable
      equipment that can make a good field recording.  I don't sing, so I could run
      the recording equipment.  There are so many kinds of recorders these days
      that I hesitate to be too specific; cassette tape, Mini Disc,
      direct to CD and digital memory.  Probably the most important element is good microphones.
      Once we have a recording, the duplication costs are very low.  There are professional
      places that will dupe, print labels and put it all into a jewel case for $2.50-$3.00 for a short
      run like 50 copies.

      Myfanwy again:

      We would be happy to collect names and mail them to people after Pennsic. Probably the padded mailing envelope and postage would be another dollar or two.

      Let us know if you are interested in having a recording made or tell us if you already have someone lined up to do it.

      Myfanwy and Corin

    • HEL
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
        I will be bringing my video camera with me and have no
        problem letting someone use it to record the concert.

        HEL

        "I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Professor Bernardo de la Paz in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert A. Heinlein.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
          Thanks Hel.  That would be very nice, and I would like to have a video of the performance as well.

          However, I think what Duchess Myfanwy and Duke Corin are requesting is something like semi-pro level *audio* equipment, as opposed to video.  Your Grace, please correct me if I'm wrong.

          Arianna

          HEL <helthehorrible@...> wrote:
          I will be bringing my video camera with me and have no
          problem letting someone use it to record the concert.

          HEL

          "I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Professor Bernardo de la Paz in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert A. Heinlein.

        • Julia Kathan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2006
            From Corin:
            Arianna is correct that am I talking about audio recording equipment.
            Good amateur or semi-pro level characterizes it well. Video equipment
            generally has the microphones built in and they are overwhelmed by
            nearby sound, such as the person next to you coughing.  Video recorders
            also concentrate more on the image than the sound quality.  I am hoping
            to get good microphones close enough to the choir to get a clear, high-quality
            audio recording.  Thank you, however, for the kind offer.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
              One of my pet projects to finish this year is to take the best of the
              KWC. I have 5 years of recordings.... and all but 1 is mixed and
              mastered. I did all the recordings on a mini-disc with one stereo
              microphone. It's not the most perfect, but it does a nice clean
              overhead recording. Then I get home, dump it into ProTools and fix it
              up a bit.
              I will do the same for this year's concert if you'd like. I can
              then turn over the mini-disc to you Arianna, or take it home, and fix
              it up a bit.

              My plan was to put out a KWC CD after this year for members.

              If you want me to do the mini-disc recording.. I will be happy too.
              I'll be there any way.

              I can also just take it home and make a direct copy of the cd for
              anyone who wants one.

              erlan
            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2006
                Quoting daggett42 <daggett42@...>:

                *snippage*

                > I can also just take it home and make a direct copy of the cd for
                > anyone who wants one.

                Well, I've never had the priveledge of singing with the group, but I'd
                love copies of any CDs that you make -- if it's possible.

                jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • gertrudethemutilator
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
                  I just checked in for the first time in a week, so sorry for being
                  late to this thread.
                  I'm a professional horn player, and when I record I use an SM58- to an
                  edirol UA25 audio bus- to my laptop (which has powertracks and
                  Cakewalk.) That'll make sense to the audiophile. If you have either
                  of those programs we could burn the raw audio to disk and you can edit
                  in your studio.
                  I will be travelling with all that equipment anyway, but I only have
                  the one mic and I didn't bring the stand. It does require a power
                  outlet as it drains a lot of power and probably won't make the whole
                  concert otherwise.
                  I am still working under the assumption that I will be there, of which
                  I have every intention, but am half expecting something to come up as
                  it seems to every year.
                  Feel free to email offlist if desired.
                  -Beth
                • daggett42
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2006
                    I read the post and the only thing that really registered was "HORN
                    PLAYER"
                    So am I
                    Mistress Arianna and I chatted and I'm going to record the concert the
                    same way as I did the last few. High End Stereo mike into a 16 bit
                    mini-disc (battery operated)
                    Bringing high end audio equipment would be a chance. You can
                    never tell the weather at war and even though there is a storage
                    trailer there, I would be hesitant to store my Hard Disk and expensive
                    mikes in there.
                    I know it's not as high end as I could get at home, but the last
                    few recordings have been, OK, pretty good quality for what it is.
                    I am careful with the Mike placement and I use the support post to
                    create it's own sound baffle from the audience.
                    It will also mean that all the recordings from the last few years will
                    be about the same quality.
                    I come home and then transfer the recording to digital medium and mix
                    it on pro tools in my brother's studio and master it and then burn it
                    to CD. Takes me a while to do it since I'm lazy and never have time
                    for ANYTHING, but I eventually get it done.

                    So, there it is. Besides, I then have an archival recording of the KWC
                    for the purpose of..... history.

                    Erlan

                    checked in for the first time in a week, so sorry for being
                    > late to this thread.
                    > I'm a professional horn player, and when I record I use an SM58- to an
                    > edirol UA25 audio bus- to my laptop (which has powertracks and
                    > Cakewalk.) That'll make sense to the audiophile. If you have either
                    > of those programs we could burn the raw audio to disk and you can edit
                    > in your studio.
                    > I will be travelling with all that equipment anyway, but I only have
                    > the one mic and I didn't bring the stand. It does require a power
                    > outlet as it drains a lot of power and probably won't make the whole
                    > concert otherwise.
                    > I am still working under the assumption that I will be there, of which
                    > I have every intention, but am half expecting something to come up as
                    > it seems to every year.
                    > Feel free to email offlist if desired.
                    > -Beth

                  • harpadillo

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 9, 2006
                        Niamh
                        Thank you, that is very kind of you to offer. I'm going to go with
                        the KISS method! I'd feel better if you left home the mikes and
                        stands. Pennsic generates enough stuff in a vehicle, no need to bring
                        along mundane gear as well.

                        Erlan
                      • gertrudethemutilator
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                          Time for my weekly checkin.
                          Well, I am of course bringing the horn to Pennsic, gotta keep the
                          chops up as there are auditions after, and I always love playing
                          duets, and will have all my ensemble music with me - horn duets,
                          quartets, octets, brass quartets and quintets, as well as woodwind
                          quintets, so if you or anyone else out there is interested in some jam
                          sessions, bring a stand and a horn! (pardon the run on sentence.)
                          see you there!
                          -beth