Re: Pennsic Choir

  • erlannordenskald
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 9, 2004
      Anne - just wondering if your site was ready with information for
      those interested in the Known World Choir at Pennsic? Music,
      registration info, that sort of thing, rehearsal schedule?????

      Also..for those who sang in "Music from the Court of Vlad the
      Impaler" in last year's (2003) choir, AND you are planning on
      attending the Coronation of the K & Q of the EAST in April in New
      Jersey, there is a request to sing the "Te Deum" that we performed at
      EK Court AND at the Concert. Please let me know if you're interested!
      The director for that day is Isabeau d'Orleans, director of
      the "Tropes" a vocal group from the Shire of the Rusted Woodlands.

      Erlan Nordenskald
      Director Emeritus
    • ladysiobhan@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2004
        Mistress Anne,

        I have been having problems with emails to you bouncing.. can you send me a test email? Some got lost in the ether I think too.

        ladysiobhan@...

        Siobhan

        --
        Iron Bog - The Shire, The State of Mind
      • ladysiobhan@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 10, 2004
          Erlan,

          Count me in. :)

          Siobhan
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 22, 2005
            Greetings!

            I just wanted to let you all know that I am finalizing the repertoire
            of Spanish music for the Pennsic Choir and plan to post it in PDF and
            MIDI formats in January.

            As a teaser, here are some of the pieces on the "definite" list:

            Dindirin (Anonymous)
            Pase El Agua (Anonymous)
            Otro Tal Misacantano (Anonymous)
            Peccantem Me Quotidie (Cristobal de Morales)

            There will also be at least one piece by Juan Vasquez and, of course,
            Tomas Luis de Victoria, plus a few earlier period pieces.

            A couple of people asked me about doing some of Alphonso X's Cantigas.
            I love them, but they're not generally choral. However, I'm
            considering recruiting some instrumentalists to join a couple of solo
            singers on some cantigas. I'd like the choir's feedback - is anyone
            interested? The biggest issue is that it's not practical to hold
            "auditions" for the solo positions at Pennsic, so I either have to ask
            people to send me tapes/midi files or else just pick people who I know
            can project well enough to fill the tent and be heard over the
            accompaniment without artificial amplification. Any thoughts?

            Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year to everyone in the
            Known World Choir!

            Arianna of Wynthrope
            Director, Pennsic XXXV Known World Choir

            __________________________________
          • M K
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 22, 2005

              I don't know if this is currently an issue, but if you're recruiting instrumentalists I would love to do that.

              From: Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...>
              To: Known World Choir <KWChoir@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [KWChoir] Pennsic Choir
              Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:44:26 -0800 (PST)

              Greetings!

[...]

              Karen Kasper

              "Only the educated are free."  Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses

              "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."  Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine

              __________________________________

              Living history

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
                Thanks! I have created a list of volunteers, and currently you are the
                first instrumentalist on it. What do you play?

                Arianna

                ---------------------------------

                From: Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...>
                To: Known World Choir <KWChoir@yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:44:26 -0800 (PST)

                Greetings!

[...]

                Service.

                ---------------------------------

                Living history
                History of humanity

                Service.

                ---------------------------------

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • Sabine
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
                  --- Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks! I have created a list of volunteers, and currently you are
                  > the
                  > first instrumentalist on it. What do you play?

                  Me too, me too please! :)

                  I play recorder (soprano and tenor), along with crumhorn and cornamuse
                  (soprano only for the latter); I own a shawm, but I'm not *promising*
                  I'll be up to concert performance level on it by Pennsic! If you decide
                  to do any of the Cantigas de Santa Maria, I also play a wooden keyless
                  transverse flute -- you see them in the cantiga illuminations, so it'd
                  be neat for me to have such an appropriate playing opportunity. Alas,
                  it's a fairly quiet instrument when unmiked...

                  By the way, I don't know if this helps at all, but some of the cantigas
                  work very well as call-and-response pieces -- you could maybe have the
                  call lines sung by a few voices with the whole choir joining in on the
                  refrains.

                  -Sabine

                  Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                  dsl.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 23, 2005
                    Call and response is a nice idea, Sabine - I will definitely think on
                    it! And the flute sounds lovely. Quiet instruments just mean the
                    soloists don't have to project quite as much to be heard, so that's ok.

                    I'll be heading out within the hour to spend the holiday with my
                    in-laws in Ohio, and thus will probably be offline for 4-5 days. So
                    please don't think I'm ignoring any responses, folks. Keep your
                    enthusiasm coming!

                    Arianna

                    __________________________________
                  • ladysiobhan@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 27, 2005
                      I'm in too.. I play soprano and tenor recorder and harp.  Also a fair drummer.

                      Siobhan inghean ui Dhonnabhain

                      From: Karen Kasper <arianna_wyn@...>

                      > Thanks! I have created a list of volunteers, and currently you are the
                      > first instrumentalist on it. What do you play?
                      >
                      > Arianna
                      >
                      > --- M K wrote:

                      > I don't know if this is currently an issue, but if you're recruiting
                      > instrumentalists I would love to do that.

                    • the_real_damont
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
                        If you're still recruiting instrumentalists for some solo or
                        few-voices pieces, count me in as well; I play recorder and brass, I
                        can supply my own 'nino, soprano and alto recorders, slide trumpet,
                        and trombone (with a very non-period F valve).

                        Evan, who is also known to sing bass